collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Na!Na!Na! by mgae  (Read 1620 times)

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Na!Na!Na! by mgae
« on: December 19, 2019, 12:17:42 PM »
MGAE has become notorious for its L.O.L., slime and poop toys as well as creating tons of waste by packaging the blind surprises in layers and layers of extra plastic.

For years I thought "ha, this is not my thing. Hate the style, hate the blind bags, hate the waste" but behold... the power of darkness:

https://nananasurprise.mgae.com/#/shop?module=watch&id=2&name=na!-na!-na!-surprise-reveal!

They finally got me with this. I love this. Whyyyyyyyy?!

What I got to give credit for: MGAE hops on trends super fast. Not always to my liking. Like selling instagram "erotic model" looks/fashions to little girls is highly questionable to me, as well as their brand parodies that only push more consumerism.
But these little dollies right here are totally bringing back soft fashion dolls with "painted on" faces. Something that has been popular amongst toy creators for a long while already and virtually no mainstream toy company jumped on it. Now MGAE did.

These dolls have two added boni:
-the packages are only fake blind. Each doll has a symbol, so if you only want to get one you can now!
-the added surprises are not some crap but come in the form of key chains, purses, pet plushies or fashions for the dolls.

The dolls also look like they have good quality stitching and clothes. I like their little fists.

So yeah... I pray these won't come over to Europe because then I'd feel compelled to get one. How about you? Yay, nay or just done with MGAE?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 12:21:00 PM by Zapper »

Offline Loona

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Re: Na!Na!Na! by mgae
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 02:06:10 PM »
Oh - I haven't yet heard of these - thanks for sharing! :)

MGA's choices of doll lines have mostly been strange to me. I could never hate the company, because I know they are capable of doing magic (looking at Moxie Teenz Tristen, the one who started it all, the one who turned me into an adult doll collector, as I write this), however, their recent themes with the blind bag and poop and slime and baby dolls dressed as adults did not appeal to me at all. These however, are totally cute. I've never been a fan of soft, sewn dolls, but I do like these. I love their eyes, their hair, and their size also seems to be OK. I wouldn't say I like them enough to actually want one, definitely not if I have to order one from abroad - but I can't say what my reaction would be if I had the chance to see them IRL. I'll be looking forward to seeing reviews and more/better actual owner pictures of them - this is (just another) time I wish Emily's ToyBoxPhilosopher blog was still active, as I'm sure if she was to review these, she would include tons of pictures that would help me with finding their place in my head/heart.

I'm also happy to see that they aren't actually fully blind-packaged. I totally don't like all this blind bag trend (especially at the price they are going for - most blind bags are totally overpriced here, L.O.L. being the no. 1 example), so I would hate to have to blindly buy one if it turns out I like them enough to buy one. Now I only wonder about how good their QC will be, as not being able to see the actual product I buy (especially in today's world where quality check doesn't seem to be on the same level as before) is another thing I don't really like...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My lovely awareness adoptable was created by HollowZero.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 03:00:50 PM »
Ah- so THATS what those are!  I saw one in someone's INSTA stream and was wondering.  NO way would I have guessed a MGA product!

I love the Unicorn girl...

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 05:07:56 PM »
These are so cute and remind me of art dolls... Yeah, I need it. XD

I will say that MGA currently makes the highest-quality fashion dolls on store shelves (L.O.L. O.M.G. dolls). Those dolls are so far above their competition in basically every regard, from quality fabrics to details such as painted nails. Barbie occasionally releases pricier play-line dolls nearing that caliber, but I notice they’ve only really upped their game lately, following the success of the O.M.G.s. Even then, MGA’s fabrics and materials are usually much nicer.

So while I agree that they need to start using less plastic wrap (wouldn’t wrapping PAPER work just as well, once you’re past the first layer?), it’s hard to criticize their quality. Especially considering some of Hasbro’s latest... ventures.
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Ragamuffin

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 06:15:51 PM »
From what I've seen the MGA stuff looks pretty good quality-wise.

Can they do something a bit different with the faces though? These look exactly like LOLs. I hate those big eyes and the noses right in the center of the face. LOL Surprise Cinematic Universe?

I get the chibi look is in right now but there's a right way to do it... this is... acceptable? The artwork looks... okay. The nose is still too far up but I'll deal with it. It doesn't look as nice on the toy... :lookround:

The eyes go ABOVE the nose!

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2019, 07:19:36 PM »
Ragamuffin, that’s a great graphic. It’s interesting how these styles differ between west/east. I wouldn’t quite say it’s a “right” and “wrong” kind of deal... More like stylistic leanings.

The face on the right can be applied to pretty much every “big eye” doll on the western market, including older, extinct lines like Diva Starz.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 07:35:00 PM by Nemesis »
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Aeryala

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 12:12:17 PM »
These just got put on display at a store where I worked over the holidays and I was immediately charmed, even though I usually hate dolls with unremovable clothes.  They're just so chubby and adorable, and the I love the animal themes even if the hats don't come off.  It's also nice that they can be a blind bag for a child (assuming they don't know what the symbols are), but if someone wants a particular one you don't have to guess.

Have there been articulated plush fashion dolls before? 

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2020, 05:30:44 PM »
Ragamuffin I like your proportions better too.  It's just so creepy to see the eyes drooping soooo low.  It is why I never liked LOL.

That said these cloth dolls are cuter somehow

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2020, 01:54:00 PM »
Saw them today in the wild! Behold... they are Smyth's Toys exclusives in Germany. Not sure about the rest of the EU.
Given that Smyth's bought out TRU in the German sector they could be exclusive to other stores in other countries (?)

I was so tempted but they were 25€ each. So nah... I'll wait until I can get one for 10€.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal