collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Is it too late to start a brand new collection? sorry if silly question  (Read 2252 times)

Offline kellybates1993

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
Hi everyone, i mainly collected flutter ponies up until recently.
but I've started to collect the g1 ponies and there's SO MANY!
i was just worried that I'm starting too late to get a decently good collection? and i was wondering if their is a complete list of the g1 ponies anywhere?
I have many g3 from childhood,  no g4 but i watch the show with my son and adore it but we are stuck at season 5 as we only have Netflix! thanks everyone x
flutter pony addict

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Is it too late to start a brand new collection? sorry if silly question
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2019, 08:11:41 AM »
You're already collecting them anyway. You've answered your own question. ;)
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2019, 08:31:48 AM »
Never too late.  :)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline kellybates1993

• Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 08:54:24 AM »
there's just so many :blink:
flutter pony addict

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2019, 08:58:30 AM »
Well, keep in mind you aren't obligated to get all of them if you start collecting (although that's fun too!).  Basically, don't feel like it's a chore or that you "have to".   However you choose to collect is fine, whether you end up with five ponies or 500.  :)

Also, most ponies are readily available on eBay; it's not especially hard to find most of them.  So if you're worried they will be impossible to find--that's really not the case.  (They are pretty hard to find "in the wild" these days, simply because of their age.  Easiest to find them online.)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 09:01:41 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2019, 09:04:24 AM »
Never too late!
If you aren't picky about condition then you can get lots and lots and lots of ponies for really reasonable prices!
If you ever decide you want to jump on the G4 bandwagon I've got a huge lot that I'd love to sell...

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2019, 09:08:50 AM »

Ya don't hafta buy them all unless you want too. Most of us just buy what we like and can afford.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2019, 11:12:59 AM »
I started collecting this summer at age of 32.
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2019, 12:07:55 PM »
I started in 2014 and did not grow up with G1s at all. All of mine have been acquired secondhand, it's certainly possible.  ^.^
For getting ponies of any sort, I suggest checking out thrifts and flea markets when you feel like it. G1s do pop up rarely now, but they do pop up! I go about once a week to a savers-esque thrift with a large toy area and find at least one G4 each time, usually a G3, and I've had some good G1 pulls as well. I actually just found a Baby Chuck e Cheese yesterday at my favorite one to go to. Thrift stores that get giant trucks in from all over versus only selling local donations are your best bet.
G4 are super cheap right now too if you wanted to get a few of those.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2019, 12:16:57 PM »
Well, you've already started with flutters, so you could just choose another group to collect and stop there.  Or, you can just choose your favorites from each year.  You don't have to actually collect all the ponies.  I personally just stick to my favorite ponies.  Whenever I try to collect all of anything, I just start to feel depressed about owning things I don't actually like.  Unfortunately, I learned that the hard way.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline MimicPower

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Beddy Bye Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2019, 12:52:31 PM »
Never too late.  :)

True!
I started in August 2018. My advice is first to inform you of the line and then know that you want to collect exactly. In my case I decided to collect international ponies (not nirvanas, not mail order, not repeated characters, for example). Wikipedia helped me:
http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/G1_Ponies
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 01:00:05 PM by MimicPower »

Offline kellybates1993

• Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2019, 02:09:56 PM »
Well, keep in mind you aren't obligated to get all of them if you start collecting (although that's fun too!).  Basically, don't feel like it's a chore or that you "have to".   However you choose to collect is fine, whether you end up with five ponies or 500.  :)

Also, most ponies are readily available on eBay; it's not especially hard to find most of them.  So if you're worried they will be impossible to find--that's really not the case.  (They are pretty hard to find "in the wild" these days, simply because of their age.  Easiest to find them online.)
your right,  i think i was in the, have to have them all mind set x

Post Merge: December 17, 2019, 02:11:44 PM

Well, you've already started with flutters, so you could just choose another group to collect and stop there.  Or, you can just choose your favorites from each year.  You don't have to actually collect all the ponies.  I personally just stick to my favorite ponies.  Whenever I try to collect all of anything, I just start to feel depressed about owning things I don't actually like.  Unfortunately, I learned that the hard way.
this is what I'm going to do! excellent advice,  im going to collect a certain set at a time x
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 02:11:44 PM by kellybates1993 »
flutter pony addict

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2019, 03:50:22 PM »
One of the most fun things when you begin a new collection is to go through and look at all the pictures of the ones you like and make a priority list.

I am a completionist G1 collector but that's mostly because I grew up with them and back when they were first out of stores in the 1990s it was easy to get them second hand. Now the market has changed and I am certain if I was starting G1 from scratch now I would go through all the pictures and sets and pick the ones I liked best. It is harder to get them all now (probably not impossible, but harder).

I also collect Jem and at one point I was gotta-have-it-all about that but I realised (maybe like brightberry) that I didn't love my collection as much as I could because there were things in it that I didn't like. Mostly Jem/Jerrica and Rio dolls and some of the fashions that didn't appeal to me. When I downsized I rearranged my Jem cabinet and suddenly the joy was back again.

So the most important thing is you collect the ponies you like. If you are worried about overpaying on one or you think a price is high, you can always ask here, people will try to help you so you don't get cheated. Also you can look for pony lots on ebay or other sale sites, clean up and keep the ones you like and sell on the others to make some money back. A lot of us do or have done that in the past to help fund the collection.

Finally, good luck :D And don't forget to post a brag thread in the Pony Brag area when you have new treasures to share! Remember a 'decently good' collection isn't having the most of something, it's getting the maximum amount of joy from it and having the collection that makes you happy. If I'm honest, some of the most precious things in my collection aren't even ponies, but their backcards and leaflets!

P.S Flutter ponies are awesome. Great set to begin with :D
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline kellybates1993

• Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2019, 03:57:18 AM »
One of the most fun things when you begin a new collection is to go through and look at all the pictures of the ones you like and make a priority list.

I am a completionist G1 collector but that's mostly because I grew up with them and back when they were first out of stores in the 1990s it was easy to get them second hand. Now the market has changed and I am certain if I was starting G1 from scratch now I would go through all the pictures and sets and pick the ones I liked best. It is harder to get them all now (probably not impossible, but harder).

I also collect Jem and at one point I was gotta-have-it-all about that but I realised (maybe like brightberry) that I didn't love my collection as much as I could because there were things in it that I didn't like. Mostly Jem/Jerrica and Rio dolls and some of the fashions that didn't appeal to me. When I downsized I rearranged my Jem cabinet and suddenly the joy was back again.

So the most important thing is you collect the ponies you like. If you are worried about overpaying on one or you think a price is high, you can always ask here, people will try to help you so you don't get cheated. Also you can look for pony lots on ebay or other sale sites, clean up and keep the ones you like and sell on the others to make some money back. A lot of us do or have done that in the past to help fund the collection.

Finally, good luck :D And don't forget to post a brag thread in the Pony Brag area when you have new treasures to share! Remember a 'decently good' collection isn't having the most of something, it's getting the maximum amount of joy from it and having the collection that makes you happy. If I'm honest, some of the most precious things in my collection aren't even ponies, but their backcards and leaflets!

P.S Flutter ponies are awesome. Great set to begin with :D
this was a wonderful reply,  this thread has helped so much,  im going to focous on ponies i like and a set at a time! im only collecting g1 for now as i had soo many g3 as a kid vut eventually ill get back to the g3 again x
flutter pony addict

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2019, 05:32:40 AM »
it's never too late. Also, the episodes of fim can be found on kimcartoon. Watch out for the perverted ads.
Lover of Windwhistler

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal