collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How do you clean a Magic Message Pony?  (Read 1096 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
How do you clean a Magic Message Pony?
« on: December 16, 2019, 01:33:47 PM »
 :Mirror Mirror came today. Another  of my childhood ponies knocked off the list.

She's gorgeous but she reeks! And her hair is in dire need of a shampoo and conditioner. I'm nervous about ruining her symbol. How do I clean one please?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 03:23:37 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: How do you clean a Magic Message Pony?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 01:58:34 PM »
Definitely don't use magic eraser on the symbols! I think you might want to take the so-soft route of using cold cold water, but I haven't had a symbol that worked before cleaning so I'm not sure if that would damage it to the point of no longer working. I would just try to clean her upside down and gently run a damp cloth over her symbol if needed.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 02:10:32 PM »
Thanks Tailrustedleaf. :D

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 02:56:21 PM »
Symbols on these can come off whole as well, if you are not careful. Suggest not submerging the pony if you can help it and cleaning around the symbol rather than over it if you can avoid it. I remember washing them verrry carefully but it's kind of nerve wracking.

Her hair should be fine to just shampoo, just try not to let it fall over the symbol or rub it when drying it...

And probably just airing her will help with the smell. I dunno if you have somewhere you can put her. It's a bad time of year for outside pony airing :/ I strapped a pony to my windowsill one summer and that helped (she stank of diesel fuel for some reason) but yeah, maybe get creative. With the symbol issue I don't think she's a candidate for putting in something to deodourise.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 03:26:24 PM »
Thanks much Taf. :)

I washed her down with a small damp cloth and patted her dry.  And then cleaned her hair by putting her in a bag with holes cut off on either end so she wouldn't get wet.

Now onto my next purchase, Ziploc bags! :snicker:

I'll show off piccies when she's dried off.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 03:28:21 PM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2019, 08:22:43 PM »
Do not let the symbol touch anything while wet, especially anything plastic.  The symbol can stick to plastic(including bags).  If you’re going to store MM ponies in plastic bags, wrap them in archival tissue paper first. 

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2019, 08:29:41 PM »
Do not let the symbol touch anything while wet, especially anything plastic.  The symbol can stick to plastic(including bags).  If you’re going to store MM ponies in plastic bags, wrap them in archival tissue paper first.

Thanks GoP. I'll keep that in mind.

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2019, 11:29:41 PM »
I had a seller give a mint MM Cloud Dreamer "a quick wash" before shipping once.  They rested the pony on a plastic bag after they washed it.  The symbol stuck to the bag, and that mint pony with mint symbols became a not so mint pony with a partially torn symbol:/   As long as you're gentle with the symbols, you can get them wet.  I used to run my childhood ponies under hot water to get them to change, and they still have intact symbols.  Just don't rub the symbol while wet!

Even dry as a bone, I'd recommend wrapping in archival tissue paper before putting them in a plastic bag.  Actually, I'd recommend wrapping every pony in archival tissue paper before putting them in a plastic bag.  I have seen that storing ponies in plastic bags increases the rate of plastizer oozing in ponies that are prone to it.  It doesn't happen to every pony, but those who do ooze seem to get worse when they're in a bag for a while.  I think it's the plastic-on-plastic contact that speeds up the process.  Putting a barrier between the pony and the bag slows down the process(in my experience), but also helps absorb any oozing that's already happened.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2019, 07:22:57 AM »
I had a seller give a mint MM Cloud Dreamer "a quick wash" before shipping once.  They rested the pony on a plastic bag after they washed it.  The symbol stuck to the bag, and that mint pony with mint symbols became a not so mint pony with a partially torn symbol:/   As long as you're gentle with the symbols, you can get them wet.  I used to run my childhood ponies under hot water to get them to change, and they still have intact symbols.  Just don't rub the symbol while wet!

Even dry as a bone, I'd recommend wrapping in archival tissue paper before putting them in a plastic bag.  Actually, I'd recommend wrapping every pony in archival tissue paper before putting them in a plastic bag.  I have seen that storing ponies in plastic bags increases the rate of plastizer oozing in ponies that are prone to it.  It doesn't happen to every pony, but those who do ooze seem to get worse when they're in a bag for a while.  I think it's the plastic-on-plastic contact that speeds up the process.  Putting a barrier between the pony and the bag slows down the process(in my experience), but also helps absorb any oozing that's already happened.

Oh no!  :shocked:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal