collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Internship Frustration/Advice?  (Read 1238 times)

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Internship Frustration/Advice?
« on: December 04, 2019, 08:53:23 AM »
I'm a marketing major in my third year of college. I just transferred from community to my current school, which I commute from home for an hour and a half to get to each day. I really should be getting a summer internship, but I am having trouble in a few realms.
First, I don't live in a super out-of-the-way area, but it's no city. I don't want to travel into the city for it, and there are a good amount of offices in my area that I feel should have something. I am just having trouble finding one that 1. Is for the summer and 2. That I am qualified for. Ugh.
Second, I understand that the point of an internship is to absorb knowledge. That's the whole point and why it's not a job, but I fear that I am underqualified. I have yet to take more than one class that's marketing specific and am mostly chipping away at my business requirements. I just fear that I'll make a fool of myself.
Last...I am not a great interview person. My last interview for any job was when I was 16, I am 20 now. I must be a good employee because I was promoted, but I fear that my so-so GPA and lack of interview experience will disqualify me.
And it feels like the deadline is approaching but it's not even summer yet? Sigh. I know it's good to get in early but I just can't really deal with finals and applications at the same time. My Dad offered to send my resume and cover letter (which have yet to be created) to people he works with but everything just feels like a lot to deal with right now. I don't know. Ughhh.
Has anyone here had an internship for a related position before and has input? My coworker who is at the same level of schooling as me is not seeking an internship, and I always seek company in struggling.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Internship Frustration/Advice?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 11:41:33 AM »
I would sacrifice for the internship.  Make time to apply for them even if you have to sacrifice personal time or sleep or weekend.  Make it a priority- you will thank yourself later.

If getting to the location is too hard- than rent an apartment closer.  Take out a student loan if you have to.  The more of an edge that you can get now, the better.  New grads in almost every field are next to useless (I'm afraid) but if you have any experience at all - you are more likely to at least get your foot in the door somewhere.

I have a cousin who passed up an intership offer when he was close to graduating- it was too far away and didn't pay what he thought he was worth.  That was 5 years ago and he is long since graduated and still unemployed...

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 02:09:09 PM »
I worry about being away from home because of my dietary restrictions, but maybe I'll look into getting a train pass or something.  :drunk: Bah, so expensive, but I am so close to Philly so I think it should be worth it in the end if I really can't find one here.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 03:32:22 PM »
I may not be the best to help out 1. because I think internships are a gross way to extract labor without compensation (ask any artist, exposure doesn't pay the bills) and 2. I never had one

however, I would like to say I can understand how some may be interested in internships, especially those who have never worked before. It may have been some time since your last interview but you have done them, so you already know you can get a job with your interview skills. There are many great websites that have tips about interviewing. The keys to a good interview are appearance (sadly), confidence in knowing you have what the employer wants (ie your labor power) and asking good questions about the company (easily achieved via googling).

I never took an internship, and my degree and work experience weren't what got me into my career, it was my personal experience. Don't stress too much. It's very hard for people to get living wage jobs nowadays, entry level jobs want masters degree and 5 years of experience (eye roll) focus on opportunities that excited you, networking and developing your skills and experience both in school/work and outside

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 03:04:46 AM »
The only internship I did was for the Disney college program and that had NOTHING to do with my major - History. Of course, my degree has nothing to do with my current job - Teaching English in China.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 03:19:19 AM by tikibirds »

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2019, 07:12:06 AM »
Internships can be very useful for making connections that lead to future jobs.  So I would go for it if possible.  I believe it is illegal for internships to be unpaid these days.  Personally I would never do an unpaid internship even if they were legal.  I would not move for an internship, they're important but your studies are more important.

Yes, often the deadline for applications is months in advance.  At my workplace we just hired two interns . . . after gathering applications in February!  What happened was the HR department had some people on vacation and some staffing changes and everything got delayed.  So they didn't even send us the resumes to review until November, and by that time a lot of the applicants had of course taken other jobs.

Don't worry too much about your GPA.  I've been on the interview panels for interns and temp worker before, which meant I was also one of the people "weeding out" resumes beforehand.  GPA only really matters if you're showing a pattern of failing everything.  We looked at transcripts to see what classes people were taking or how much experience they had with a particular skill.  But it was never a case of "Well, THIS person has an A while THAT person has a C!"  Work experience mattered the most--as in, "does this person have some" and "do they have at least some skills that would be helpful / beneficial?"  These don't have to be related directly to the job, like "Oh, it's an accounting job and they're an accountant!"  It can be like, "it's an accounting job and they were the one in charge of counting the money at the grocery store job" or something.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2019, 07:23:17 AM »
Work experience mattered the most--as in, "does this person have some" and "do they have at least some skills that would be helpful / beneficial?"  These don't have to be related directly to the job, like "Oh, it's an accounting job and they're an accountant!"  It can be like, "it's an accounting job and they were the one in charge of counting the money at the grocery store job" or something.
Ha that's exactly what my job currently is. I'm hoping that my retail experience and promotions (I have worked/can handle most of the front end/small managerial duties) will be better. That's very helpful to know.

Sig by Starscout <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal