collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: So what is it about the Mountain Boys for you? (or not)  (Read 4852 times)

Offline Wildshadow

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Favorites of all time? Surprise, Danny and Spike!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/kriticosium/
Re: So what is it about the Mountain Boys for you? (or not)
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2019, 04:04:37 PM »
I'm glad I got them when I did, before they got all hyped up and expensive. The reason I got into them in the first place was because friend was all about the boy ponies and I was going to get some for her but then I started enjoying them and ended up with all of them and wanting to get all the G1 boy ponies  :blush: I did get my friend two of them though, Sunburst and Lightening.

My Ice Crystal still needs his rusty insides dealt with...and Tornado still has a bit of his pink still left in his hair. My favorite one and the one I got first was Sunburst! I just enjoyed his color combo, the second was Lightening xD Which I did get them in that order, heh. but I forget the order I got the other MB's. I did have two Sunburst's but I eventually sold the second one I had with a yarn tail. I need to get them all together again, Tornado is hidden in a box away from the others xD but not sure where that box is now  :wonder:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks Starscout for the sig and Shaiyeh thanks for the avatar  :heart: Ombyshadow

Offline CherryTreats

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2019, 07:09:58 PM »
What is it about them that makes them so popular?
I absolutely love nature themed ponies so that is a huge thing for me.
Is it their colouring? I do really love the coloring and love how they are a rainbow of colors.
The fact they're boy ponies? Yes, because there are far less boy ponies, especially any with symbols that greatly appeal to me. Also, I've always been a fan of draft horses. Chief is one of my favorite ponies of all time and I love all ponies in that pose.
THe freckles? Doesn't matter to me at all, but they're cute.
The names? Yes, I really love the names.
The fact they're a little more difficult to get because of geography) - Doesn't matter to me.
Some other reason?
They're such a refreshing change from the big brothers we got here. I do not like football, trucks, baseball, etc. like the big brothers have on them, but have always been very interested in natural phenomena. That's true big brothers have hats and scarves--those are definitely nice to have. However, I really love nature so that makes the mountain boys far more appealing and interesting. Big brothers are much more special to me due to the childhood memories though.

My favorite Mountain Boys are Ice Crystal and Fireball. I love Ice Crystal's colors (I've always been a huge fan of pale minty green), symbol and name the best, but prefer Fireball's pose much more. I like the idea of someday having them both, Fire and Ice. I don't own any mountain boys, but maybe I would buy one or two someday. I don't want the whole set though because they're too expensive nowadays. I regret not buying them when they were cheaper, but back then I was focusing on other ponies I wanted more.

Offline shabbychicdee

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • MOC Mimic
  • professional thrifter and treasure hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2019, 06:57:11 PM »
The weather theme, the colours, the freckles, the fact that they aren't as aggressively macho as the big brothers...

1 ice crystal (no cookies for me)
2 sunburst
3 tornado
4 lighting
5 thundercloud
6 fireball

aggressive macho as the BB's :lol: hey there was a lot of pink going on with the Big Bro's  :P

seeking retro MLP and Care Bear tin lunch boxes
wanted list
for trade

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2019, 11:58:40 AM »
My MB ranking:
Ice Crystal
Lightning
Tornado
Thundercloud
Sunburst
Fireball

Is it their coloring? Yes, I like the bright colors and combos, especially Ice Crystal, Lightning, and Tornado.  They are just more aesthetically pleasing and almost seem more thought out.  I love mint green, pink fading hair and the dark blue of Tornado.  Lightning is nice and bright too.  They are just so much more pretty!  Even though I do not care for Fireball's coloring at all.  I always think of Thundercloud being paired with Sherbet.  I am hoping to find a Tornado with un-faded hair.

The fact they're boy ponies?  Not specifically because of gender, but because of the molds used with feathers.  We never had boy ponies growing up, I do not have any nostalgic reason for liking them. 

I do prefer the Chief pose the most overall.  I wish Ice Crystal had that pose instead of the one he has.

The freckles? They're cute but not necessary.

The names? I do like their names better than the BBs-Slugger, 4-Speed (I like Trucker better), Quarterback (I think I will just call him QB), and Steamer/Tracks just seem so...clunky...less creative?  I do often refer to MB Tornado as Twister a lot.  That just seems to roll off the tongue better for me. 

The fact they're a little more difficult to get because of geography? No, that's just a byproduct, not the reason. 

Some other reason?  They almost seem more mature to me based on names and colors which helps me imagine personalities.  Or like they are more...refined?  That does not seem right either given the term Mountain Boys makes me think of hillbilly at times, lol.  For me the BB's seem like 20-something young men who still have a lot of growing up to do with their superficial personas based on trucks, trains, cowboys and pirates.   While the MBs seem like the 30-something, successful men that are more mature but still young and attractive enough to be called McDreamy and McSteamy, for you Grey's fans out there.  Like the more attractive Hollywood actors lately seem to be in the mid thirties or older.  If that makes sense to anyone.  Suave, debonair, chivalrous, maybe? 

Or do you think they're overhyped?  Maybe, but what HTF pony isn't to some extent? 

So I think part of the Mountain Boys appeal is the realization (among Americans) that there WAS a set of boys who were simply better than what we got.
Kinda. Yeah, maybe?

Conversely I think the Big Brother ponies are almost . . . embarrassing?  "I'm 4-Speed so I have a TRUCK on my butt 'cause I'm a BOY and boys love TRUCKS!"  Like . . . okay.  Nothing about that makes me want to buy you or own you, but okay.  Also most of them have pretty mucky color schemes.  I don't object to them having pink or purple on them, that's fine, but it's rarely a NICE shade, you know?  While most of the Mountain Boys are very vibrant.

Can I ask how that would be considered "embarrassing"? Boys tend to lean towards enjoying that kind of stuff. That's not a bad thing. And obviously based off how popular they are girls liked them having machinery symbols. They had two pink brothers, and seemed to be going towards a machine themed set with them.  I would have been so excited to have that as a girl, I grew up next to a sod farm and other various farms and loved watching equipment. As soon as I found out these lads existed I was never happier. I guess I find it to be awesome they had ponies like that in what seems to be a girly line.

Post Merge: December 02, 2019, 08:31:55 PM

Maybe, not embarrassing, maybe just superficial?

We did have the other boy ponies here (first set as Adventure Boy Ponies, second set were called Big Brothers) but they came out in 1988 and 1989, so the year after the MB set. I have a wondering whether Hasbro originally were not going to release the Brother sets here because their themes were very American and thus may not have related to British kids...In the end I think the MB set did pretty well and maybe encouraged them to put out the other two sets. They did change a bunch of the names, and I guess by originally calling them 'Adventure Boys' it moved away from the idea they could be the pony's 'big brother', rather that they were on some adventure in some other place.

The Big Brother/Adventure Boys were ultimately more common for me carbooting as a kid, albeit not all of them - Trucker (4Speed) was not that common and I never to this date have found a Quarterback over here.

I've always assumed then that the MBs were created here as replacements for the Big Brothers but we ended up getting the brothers anyway. Meaning boy ponies were super successful here for some reason?

So, the UK had the MBs, Adventure Boys, then BBs?  AB/BBs were still more common there than MBs?  Who do you remember being the most common MBs?  Were the AB/BBs a lot more common or just a little bit?  Were all of them featured in the comics? 

The mention about the "common in the US" ponies at the beginning of this thread regarding ponies Brits were familiar with due to the comics, etc but not selling them there, makes me think of the Tales ponies.  The show was aired in the US but the US did not get the toys.  Just seems so counterproductive to me, not to put both in either country, or both countries for that matter.  Same with the earlier ponies mentioned.   
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 02:50:02 PM by nessa16 »

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2019, 01:20:19 PM »
We did have the other boy ponies here (first set as Adventure Boy Ponies, second set were called Big Brothers) but they came out in 1988 and 1989, so the year after the MB set. I have a wondering whether Hasbro originally were not going to release the Brother sets here because their themes were very American and thus may not have related to British kids...In the end I think the MB set did pretty well and maybe encouraged them to put out the other two sets. They did change a bunch of the names, and I guess by originally calling them 'Adventure Boys' it moved away from the idea they could be the pony's 'big brother', rather that they were on some adventure in some other place.

The Big Brother/Adventure Boys were ultimately more common for me carbooting as a kid, albeit not all of them - Trucker (4Speed) was not that common and I never to this date have found a Quarterback over here.

I've always assumed then that the MBs were created here as replacements for the Big Brothers but we ended up getting the brothers anyway. Meaning boy ponies were super successful here for some reason?

So, the UK had the MBs, Adventure Boys, then BBs?  AB/BBs were still more common there than MBs?  Who do you remember being the most common MBs?  Were the AB/BBs a lot more common or just a little bit?  Were all of them featured in the comics? 

Yeah. We had the Mountain Boys in 1987, the Adventure Boys (Y5 Big Brothers) in 1988 (on UK style cards) and then the Big Brothers (Y6 Big Brothers) in 1989 on pretty much US cards except they had an extra border round the edge and some names were changed. So three years of boy ponies here. Mum bought my first MB for me in October 1987 in anticipation of my sister being born, and the other two I got around the winter/spring of 1987-8. I think then they were replaced by the AB set. I never saw any of those in stores so don't know how easy it was to get them. I think I must have been more focused on the 1st set of TAF because I had three of those in 1988 and no other boys xD.

As to carbooting, it depends on the pony. I remember seeing a lot of Tug, Tex, Tracks - which I think are the ones in both sets so that makes sense? I never saw a second hand QB here. I don't remember seeing Trucker very often, and when I did he was usually in bad shape. The other one I remember only having seen one of is Barnacle.

There's a theme there, though, the two dark blue BB ponies being the rarest, because the hardest MB for me to find round here was Tornado. xD.

On the MBs, Thundercloud was by far the most common. The next most common for me was probably either Sunburst or Ice Crystal. In contrast my sister and I found only 2 Tornados, ever - hers and mine. Fireball was the next more common. Lightning was the second rarest for me. I may have only had 3 or 4 of him. All of these numbers though come from carbooting from around the mid 1990s to around 2001.

So I think the most common BB ponies were still more common than any of the MBs (Tex, Tug) but there's not a lot between Tracks and Thundercloud for rarity and Ice Crystal and Sunburst were a lot more common for us than Barnacle or Quarterback.

But that was just my region, I have heard other UK people say they found lots of Tornados but no Ice Crystals. And I am sure there are people in the UK who got QB new.

The mention about the "common in the US" ponies at the beginning of this thread regarding ponies Brits were familiar with due to the comics, etc but not selling them there, makes me think of the Tales ponies.  The show was aired in the US but the US did not get the toys.  Just seems so counterproductive to me, not to put both in either country, or both countries for that matter.  Sam with the earlier ponies mentioned.   

Yeah, that's a great comparison and you're totally right, there's no point in publicising a pony you're not going to sell there. It was one thing having made up ponies like Ace etc, or the odd incidental pony (like Scoops is in Ice Cream Wars but I assumed she was made up as we didn't have her playset, most of the cast in that we had here) but it seems so weird to just advertise a whole line then not release them.

Another moment of Hasbro not making sense.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 01:22:17 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal