collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: So what is it about the Mountain Boys for you? (or not)  (Read 4851 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
So what is it about the Mountain Boys for you? (or not)
« on: December 02, 2019, 05:21:14 PM »
So this has been a curious wondering for me as a while, as I keep seeing people putting MB names on grail lists and want lists and mentioning wanting retro ones...

For all you people who grew up in places that did NOT have Mountain Boys...

What is it about them that makes them so popular?

Is it their colouring?
The fact they're boy ponies?
THe freckles?
The names?
The fact they're a little more difficult to get because of geography)
Some other reason?

Or do you think they're overhyped?

I ask this because as I've mentioned before, some of the early y2 and y3 ponies are special to me because of the childhood nostalgia of having things with them on and stories with them in but never having them in stores. Whereas I've heard people stateside talk about reams of Fireflies and Glories and Medleys and that they're common and whatever. So I was interested in the opposite point of view...being that the MB set were the only boy ponies I managed to find new as a kid, and so the only ones I ever had :/

I know boy ponies in general are quite liked but MBs don't have the funky hat and scarf accessories that the BB set do, so I am curious to know what it is that makes them stand out.

Please note MBs are not common xD. But when I was carbooting in the nineties I found quite a few of them (compared to how often some other ponies in their price range turn/ed up).

So educate me.

What is it about the Mountain Boys for you?

(Feel free to name a favourite, a bonus cookie for anyone whose favourite is NOT Ice Crystal. xD)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 05:24:09 PM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Re: So what is it about the Mountain Boys for you? (or not)
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 05:25:38 PM »
I live in the US! I don't own any of them, but I'd like to. I like a lot of their color schemes! My favorite in the set.... perhaps Fireball? His hot pink body looks nice with his hair colors! I do quite like Ice Crystal a lot too, I won't deny. But I do just really love mint green so that's inevitable. :P

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 05:31:50 PM »
Is it their coloring? Yes! I love the colors of Ice Crystal, Thundercloud, Sunburst and Tornado!

The fact that they're boy ponies? Yes. I like G1 boys and I like draft horses too.

The freckles? Eh. I could live with or without.

Difficult to get hold of because of geography? I wish they weren't difficult to get hold of. Wish they were sold here and as common as Peachy or Glory.

The names? They have good names.

Some other reason? I like their symbols. Particularly Icey and Tornado's. I also like that there is actually one for each color of the rainbow instead of mostly blue and pink.

Do I think they're overrated? Nope!

Do I love them all? Nope!

Fave to least (no cookies for me)
Ice Crystal
Thundercloud
Sunburst
Tornado
Fireball
Lightning
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 05:37:05 PM »
I think they're overhyped! I really prefer the boys when they look shy, like Salty's pose. Ice Crystal is my favorite because of this, as well as his elegant and delicate aqua color. I can make my own cookies. Tornado is a close third but I don't like his coloration as much. Sunburst is my second favorite because of his colors. The other half don't do anything for me, it's mostly the colors.
I do really like the extra stripe of color though and I feel that it adds something, but I just don't get the hype. Probably better for my wallet anyway, lets me focus on the Tales ponies instead.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 05:50:29 PM »
I think it's cool they're named after nature / natural disasters.

Conversely I think the Big Brother ponies are almost . . . embarrassing?  "I'm 4-Speed so I have a TRUCK on my butt 'cause I'm a BOY and boys love TRUCKS!"  Like . . . okay.  Nothing about that makes me want to buy you or own you, but okay.  Also most of them have pretty mucky color schemes.  I don't object to them having pink or purple on them, that's fine, but it's rarely a NICE shade, you know?  While most of the Mountain Boys are very vibrant.

So I think part of the Mountain Boys appeal is the realization (among Americans) that there WAS a set of boys who were simply better than what we got.

The freckles are completely neutral for me.  I actually don't like freckles on most ponies who aren't Bow Tie and Applejack.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 05:52:57 PM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline caseysealia

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 07:06:21 PM »
The Big Brothers are better. I think the Mountain Boys are so overrated. I'd much rather Tex or 4-Speed  (being as I seem to relate to them more with my tomboy truck loving, desert-obsessive heart) than Lighting or Ice Crystal.
 I like them a lot sure! But Big Brothers hold a special place in my heart that Mountain Boys don't. I also think they have weird colors, whereas the Big Brothers have nicer ones.

My favorite is Sunburst though.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 07:09:01 PM by caseysealia »

Offline cloud_weaver

• Trade Count: (+126)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 08:03:47 PM »
This is kind of a fun topic for me. I grew up with only sisters, and my dad was an active part of my pony collecting. He wanted me to make sure I had male ponies, and as a US collector, we had the big brothers. It was a big part of my collection for my dad to make sure the boys were accurately represented. :lol:

We moved to England when I was 13 (in 1997), so the mountain boys became a new way to add to my boys. :). However, at the moment, I do not have any.  One day perhaps I will replace the few I had.  Somehow, Ice Crystal went completely MIA when I went to college. :sad:

Side note, I had a beautiful Thailand Ice Crystal with a dark green streak a while ago that I sold.  Pictures are on the MLP Wiki...

http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/Ice_Crystal
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 08:09:22 PM by cloud_weaver »

Thank you LunaCat for my Kirin Cloud Weaver!
Cloudie’s Wish List
- http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,396949
Cloudie’s TRADE List
- http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,396962

Offline caseysealia

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 08:27:06 PM »
I think it's cool they're named after nature / natural disasters.

Conversely I think the Big Brother ponies are almost . . . embarrassing?  "I'm 4-Speed so I have a TRUCK on my butt 'cause I'm a BOY and boys love TRUCKS!"  Like . . . okay.  Nothing about that makes me want to buy you or own you, but okay.  Also most of them have pretty mucky color schemes.  I don't object to them having pink or purple on them, that's fine, but it's rarely a NICE shade, you know?  While most of the Mountain Boys are very vibrant.

So I think part of the Mountain Boys appeal is the realization (among Americans) that there WAS a set of boys who were simply better than what we got.

The freckles are completely neutral for me.  I actually don't like freckles on most ponies who aren't Bow Tie and Applejack.
Can I ask how that would be considered "embarrassing"? Boys tend to lean towards enjoying that kind of stuff. That's not a bad thing. And obviously based off how popular they are girls liked them having machinery symbols. They had two pink brothers, and seemed to be going towards a machine themed set with them.  I would have been so excited to have that as a girl, I grew up next to a sod farm and other various farms and loved watching equipment. As soon as I found out these lads existed I was never happier. I guess I find it to be awesome they had ponies like that in what seems to be a girly line.

Continuing on freckles: I dislike them on ponies for some reason? Applejack and Bowtie are awesome with them but every other pony with the is eh. This being said I like the Big Brothers having blush rather than freckles.

Post Merge: December 02, 2019, 08:31:55 PM

This is kind of a fun topic for me. I grew up with only sisters, and my dad was an active part of my pony collecting. He wanted me to make sure I had male ponies, and as a US collector, we had the big brothers. It was a big part of my collection for my dad to make sure the boys were accurately represented. :lol:

We moved to England when I was 13 (in 1997), so the mountain boys became a new way to add to my boys. :). However, at the moment, I do not have any.  One day perhaps I will replace the few I had.  Somehow, Ice Crystal went completely MIA when I went to college. :sad:

Side note, I had a beautiful Thailand Ice Crystal with a dark green streak a while ago that I sold.  Pictures are on the MLP Wiki...

http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/Ice_Crystal
He is beautiful  :lovey: hope you can get them again soon!  :heart:
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 08:31:55 PM by caseysealia »

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2019, 09:04:38 PM »
Is it their colouring? Not really
The fact they're boy ponies? No.  But I like the molds.

THe freckles? No, not really.

The names? Yes, partly.

The fact they're a little more difficult to get because of geography) No, I wish they were released here.

Some other reason? Yes! Their nature symbols and names.  Even the fact they aren’t called “Big Brothers” is better.   

As a child, I watched a lot of other kids get bullied by their big brothers.  I wasn’t a fan  And, if these boy ponies were having romantic relationships with the female ponies, should they really call them brothers?  I was troubled by that.

I really, really disliked the US Big Brothers when they came out.  I never imagined trucks, boats, baseball, Texas and football in Pony Land.  Their intro in the cartoon was simply bizarre.  Never mentioned before and never mentioned again.  The molds were cool and I was a little sad there were no girl versions.  I still don’t care for them.

I did like Daddy Apple Delight because of his more natural theme. 

When I found out about the Mountain Boys, I was really impressed.  I loved their symbols and their names.  I love the idea of them running around in the mountains. They just seem to fit better in the My Little Pony universe.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 09:06:56 PM by brightberry »
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline freezestime

• Forever and Always the Prom Queen
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2019, 09:22:44 PM »
Their colouring? Yes

The fact that they're boy ponies? Probably? I also like the molds so that helps.

Freckles? I wasn't aware they had freckles until this thread, but no I don't care for freckles.

Names? Yeah, a lot of them are pretty good.

The fact they're a little harder to get because of geography? That is a contributing factor, but not a major one.

Something else? Idk what exactly it is, but they do have a different appeal compared to the other brothers.

Also order of favourites
1. Ice Crystal
2. Tornado
3. Thundercloud
4. Sunburst
5. Lightning
6. Fireball
Freezestime's Masterlist! https://bit.ly/3x1te5n
Dedicated G2 thread! https://bit.ly/3vIIJhL
Dedicated G2 V2.0 thread! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,403447.msg1880080/topicseen.html#new
Forgotten Toy lines! [urlhttps://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=395090.150[/url]

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2019, 01:41:48 AM »
For me it's that they are boys, and the feathered feet are awesome.  So as a collector, I wanted all the BB and MB ponies.  For me they weren't overhyped, because with me in the U.S., the MB ponies were just harder to obtain, so its exciting when you are able to get one.  Ponyland has too few boy ponies, so to me seem more desirable, and really needs male unis and pegs.
Maybe if I had brother ponies as a kid, I wouldn't have been teased so much for liking ponies.  Look Dad!  It's got a dump truck on its bum!  So it can't be bad, right?

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2019, 01:52:05 AM »
Because they’re male ponies that aren’t based on tired tropes of boyhood/masculinity. So because the Big Brothers are male, they ALL have to like stereotypically “male” things like baseball and trucks? It’s like they’re trying to prove their pony-manhood (stallionhood?), lol.

Anyway, the Mountain Boys are just so much nicer, IMO. Dramatic, weather-related symbols, vibrant colors, cool names... I’d love them even if they were about as rare as Peachy. XD

My favorites, ranked:
Sunburst
Tornado
Lightning
Ice Crystal
Fireball
Thundercloud

Yay, cookies for me! :D
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2019, 02:49:14 AM »
Reading through these comments is super interesting for me having grown up with these guys. Maybe a better comparison would've been with Mimic, because she wasn't sold here either, but is a bit more on the pricey side than the Glory/Medley gang are.

We did have the other boy ponies here (first set as Adventure Boy Ponies, second set were called Big Brothers) but they came out in 1988 and 1989, so the year after the MB set. I have a wondering whether Hasbro originally were not going to release the Brother sets here because their themes were very American and thus may not have related to British kids...In the end I think the MB set did pretty well and maybe encouraged them to put out the other two sets. They did change a bunch of the names, and I guess by originally calling them 'Adventure Boys' it moved away from the idea they could be the pony's 'big brother', rather that they were on some adventure in some other place.

The Big Brother/Adventure Boys were ultimately more common for me carbooting as a kid, albeit not all of them - Trucker (4Speed) was not that common and I never to this date have found a Quarterback over here.

But then as a kid in the comics I liked them. They had fun personalities. I probably was more attached to the MBs because I owned a few (though Lightning was the one I always wanted most as a kid and I never found him) but I like the brothers also. The MBs also had decent characters in the comics and especially the 1988 annual. There was zero romantic suggestion I don't think for the Big Brother nine in the comics. The only thing I remember is what I thought as a kid was Lightning flirting with Confetti when she was babysitting Baby Cuddles. I think I thought of it this way though because Confetti was a bride pony here.

For some reason I remember stories around Quarterback and him being singlemindedly game obsessed but being dragged to a party or something...I can't remember the details now, just that he was quite funny because of it. I was sad not to find him here second hand though I know he must have been here. Weirdly Tornado was also the hardest MB to find for me here so I guess maybe the darker blue colour scheme was less popular here.

The freckles thing is kind of funny since there are often more freckled ponies over here then over there. No idea what that's about, but there's Gypsy and Snowflake too, and all the schoolish ponies. (But again, I like the freckles).

It is interesting how the colours on the brother ponies (a couple aside) are more muted than the MB set in general. Barnacle is obviously very vibrant but if you compare the yellow of Tex to that of Sunburst it's quite different. I can see why that would appeal to some people and not to others.

I've always assumed then that the MBs were created here as replacements for the Big Brothers but we ended up getting the brothers anyway. Meaning boy ponies were super successful here for some reason?

My childhood MBs were Sunburst (when my sister was born), Fireball and Thundercloud and they are super special to me because of that. But I think my favourite is still probably Lightning. He always reminds me of cheese.

I'm also one of the possible minority (?) who never saw G1 as a girly line. So I never saw the big brothers as trying to define masculinity.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2019, 05:10:35 AM »
I like them because they are rare and appealling. Also I want all the g1 boys. Plus their molds and colours are gorgeous.
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2019, 03:42:52 AM »
The only boy in my childhood ponies was Quarterback. He lives separated from the rest of my ponies now because time has not been kind to him. He has changed in to a dull gray color and has many age spots. I lost his bandana at one point but kept his helmet.

I do own Ice Crystal because I won him in a contest at the TP.  :) and my pony persona Marius is made from a Big Brother/Adventure Boy but they are the only 3 boys in my herd.

I think the Mountain Boys are more interesting than the Big Brothers/Adventure ponies.  :)

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal