collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Underrated Collector Pony

Butterscotch
9 (22%)
Bluebelle
4 (9.8%)
Blossom
3 (7.3%)
Snuzzle
9 (22%)
Minty
3 (7.3%)
Peachy
4 (9.8%)
Cotton Candy
1 (2.4%)
Lemon Drop
8 (19.5%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: Most Underrated Collector Pony?  (Read 2071 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Most Underrated Collector Pony?
« on: December 02, 2019, 07:38:09 AM »
Its kind of hard to pin down an underrated pony in such a popular and common set. So I'm not sure of this myself. I figure we have too many Favorite and Least Favorite Polls so I wanted to flip the script, as it were.

Its a bit inspired by Casey's topic too.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Most Underrated Collector Pony?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 08:11:56 AM »
I put Lemon Drop.  I don't know how she's "underrated" but I do like her pale colors.  She's very pretty in a quiet way.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 08:29:39 AM »
I put Blossom. But that would be stretching it.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 11:32:22 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 09:04:54 AM »
I am not a huge fan of this set, though as a kid I wanted Lemon Drop quite a lot so I can't say I underrated her xD.

I chose Butterscotch because, despite being SOLD HERE for two years, she wasn't in comic stories and I never knew who she was or that she really existed when I was a kid. It's only since growing up I've learned about her and her gymkhana set in the UK, which was a really cute if oddball idea given that the Show Stable already existed.

And, honestly, not only is the retro one stunning but some of the CF ones are also amazing in colour. I have a really pretty one sitting by my sink. She's there, unfortunately, because her hair is brittle and will probably all fall out if I touch her thanks to what I think is hairspray abuse left to damage the fibres over 20+ years - but she is still a gorgeous colour.

So Butterscotch for me.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 09:07:47 AM »
Butterscotch  I never realized how pretty she is until I saw the Basic Fun Butterscotch in person. I had my heart set on Basic Fun Minty but when I saw Butterscotch I suddenly had a hard time choosing between the 2 of them.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 09:17:43 AM »
I have to say Blossom.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 09:42:30 AM »
I'm going to say Snuzzle. I think it's weird that more people don't talk about the fact that we got a GRAY mlp in the first year! Sure that color is common since FiM came along, but before FiM I would say Snuzzle is the only mlp that doesn't fall into the "rainbowy pastel pony" theme which seems to be MLP's cornerstone. I always thought that really made her unique!
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 09:58:32 AM »
I'm going to say Snuzzle. I think it's weird that more people don't talk about the fact that we got a GRAY mlp in the first year! Sure that color is common since FiM came along, but before FiM I would say Snuzzle is the only mlp that doesn't fall into the "rainbowy pastel pony" theme which seems to be MLP's cornerstone. I always thought that really made her unique!

But lots of ponies don't fall into the pastel rainbow color theme. I'm not arguing with your choice, I'm simply pointing it out.

Offline caseysealia

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2019, 10:15:14 AM »
I voted Lemon Drop. Her colors are so uncommon, especially her purple hair color, which no matter the variations looks amazing!

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2019, 10:46:52 AM »

But lots of ponies don't fall into the pastel rainbow color theme. I'm not arguing with your choice, I'm simply pointing it out.
It is possibly true that Snuzzle is the only officially grey G1 (some people call Ringlets, Bright Eyes and Dainty Dahlia grey mind you), but the idea that every other pony in existence prior to G4 was pastelly rainbow is really odd to me because among even just my first ponies I had movie shady, Masquerade and snowflake, and I also had 3 Mountain Boys, who are not really known (Tornado's hair aside) for their pastels.

G4 also has quite a lot of rainbowy pastelly and non-pastelly brushables. I think Octavia is the only brushable in G4 (bg show characters don't count, because if they did we'd have to count the Greyvalians as well xD) who is legitimately grey? Correct me if that is wrong.

I just looked at my shelf and I collect non M6 G4 brushables. And you know, there are a lot of pastel pink n rainbow/pink n pink ponies in there too (Twinkleshine, Lulu Luck, looking at you in particular. And there's also Rainbow Flash and at least 2 others for which I forgot the names who are on my shelf and look like Lulu and Twinkle are their cousins).

Basically all the gens have some pastels and some not, and a lot of rainbow. G4 didn't really do anything special in that regard.

(Not that that necessarily feeds into whether Snuzzle is underestimated - but I think she's actually overestimated because of the greyness these days...whereas maybe in the past she might have been more ignored? I wonder...)

Weirdly retro Butterscotch was the one that shelfsat longest here, and I completely don't understand why.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2019, 11:22:24 AM »
Isn't G3 Velvet Bow gray too? Not to mention there are black and red G3s.

As for Ringlets well...the old gray mare just aint what she used to be. :snicker:

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2019, 11:28:34 AM »
I can't say Butterscotch as I've intentionally bought about 5 of her and they all have different shades of dark blond hair so I can't choose. I love them all.  :P

Same story with Snuzzle, Cotton Candy and Minty.  So I have to stick with Lemon Drop even though mine has a tail cut, she's the only one of this set I have one of.

Sig art by SquarePeg!

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2019, 04:22:38 PM »

As for Ringlets well...the old gray mare just aint what she used to be. :snicker:

I maintain Ringlets is periwinkle because it's a pretty word.

Is Velvet Bow the Christmas Target one from whichever set? She has skis or a sled or something? If so I think I remember who you mean and yeah, that would probably count...even though it's subtle...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2019, 04:54:14 PM »

I maintain Ringlets is periwinkle because it's a pretty word.

Is Velvet Bow the Christmas Target one from whichever set? She has skis or a sled or something? If so I think I remember who you mean and yeah, that would probably count...even though it's subtle...

Periwinkle is a lovely color. :lovey:

Velvet Bow's the one with a stylized star. Dunno any sled ponies. Chilly Breezes is the white skiing pony.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 04:56:01 PM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2019, 04:57:14 PM »
If you look at the box art for Ringlets and Velvet Bow, it's pretty clear they are supposed to be lavender and pale blue, respectively. There is nothing even remotely gray about them in their box art. Snuzzle, on the other hand, is always clearly gray in all the official art of her.

However, I didn't want to get into a debate about it. I was just saying I like Snuzzle and I find her coloring unique in the MLP world. That's all.
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal