collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ebay Option to request partial refund?  (Read 2642 times)

Offline TornadoLovesMelody

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • My Sales Album (not updated)
Ebay Option to request partial refund?
« on: December 01, 2019, 03:47:13 AM »
TLDR; I want to work out a partial refund with the seller instead of a return shipping and full refund.
Is there any way to do so through ebay nowadays? I can only find the full return & send back option and when I click there's no more options- only the "fill this in and we'll print the label to return the item to the seller".

-_-
What happened:

So I purchased a bunch of ponies that were dirty (knowing that they were dirty) through ebay.
Listed as used, no imperfections mentioned.
They looked ok in the photo.

When they arrived - they had MAJOR plasticizer leakage to the point where a purple pony had discolored others (that were not purple to start with). Not to mention the stickyness and smell.

I contacted the seller regarding this and that I was disappointed that they arrived in such a sad state and that there had been no mention of this condition. I asked them to get back to me with what we could do.

Seller replied with an apology and that they had noticed this and cleaned as best they could with an explanation that because of their age discoloring happens. They were sorry that I was disappointed and didn't want anyone to feel that they were being dishonest.

I thanked the seller for getting back to me and explained that as much as I understood their well intent discoloring isn't something that just "happens". That it's one thing that the plasticizer leaks and a whole thing all together not to mention it and bunch them up so that they discolor each other.
I once again said that it should have been mentioned as the offers given would have been done according to real condition of the item as the discoloration and leakage greatly devalues them.
I included the question of "how do you feel about a partial refund?" as that would be the best solution.
Since I have had them shipped to me from the states, shipping would cost quite a penny (and take some time) in order to get back to the seller. I feel like we would both loose out on a lot.
A partial return could compensate me for what is to come if I try to tidy the ponies up (with all the cleaning - bathing -boiling - soaking). They still wouldn't come to reach the value I paid but at least it would leave such a bitter taste.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
Re: Ebay Option to request partial refund?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 12:33:19 PM »
I would just send them back  :(
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 12:35:13 PM by Artemesia's Garden »
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 07:05:49 PM »
You can, I got a partial refund a few weeks ago for reasons similar to yours (plus the ponies smelt of smoke).
I am not sure how the seller did it, whether it was through PayPal or eBay but the refund showed up on both sites

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 12:59:36 PM »
eBay doesn't offer a partial refund option. If a buyer & seller agree to a partial refund in their private discussion, a seller can go into their Paypal account & refund the buyer the amount of choice, but if eBay has to step in to decide a claim, they will only offer return for a full refund.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 01:32:21 PM »
I think there used to be a partial refund option and Ebay stopped it because of all the fraud and abuse.

There are SO many buyers who will buy the item and then find SOMETHING to complain about (or just make it up and sometimes even damage the product themselves) to try and get a partial refund.

I would just send the ponies back- although I think that you may have to eat the shipping charge ? 

Offline flying_narwhal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Etsy Store
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 04:14:10 PM »
I think there used to be a partial refund option and Ebay stopped it because of all the fraud and abuse.

There are SO many buyers who will buy the item and then find SOMETHING to complain about (or just make it up and sometimes even damage the product themselves) to try and get a partial refund.

I would just send the ponies back- although I think that you may have to eat the shipping charge ?
^ This. I am so sorry that you are in this situation, it is so frustrating. Sellers can offer a partial refund at their own discretion if they wish but they are not required to. Be sure not to alter the ponies in any way from the condition you received them in (such as cleaning, etc) until you've reached a resolution (it sounds like you already know this). The seller should have contacted you as soon as they noticed this issue and asked if you still wanted the item considering the damage. Hopefully the seller is able to offer you a satisfactory resolution.

Offline TornadoLovesMelody

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • My Sales Album (not updated)
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 05:12:39 AM »

^ This. I am so sorry that you are in this situation, it is so frustrating. Sellers can offer a partial refund at their own discretion if they wish but they are not required to. Be sure not to alter the ponies in any way from the condition you received them in (such as cleaning, etc) until you've reached a resolution (it sounds like you already know this). The seller should have contacted you as soon as they noticed this issue and asked if you still wanted the item considering the damage. Hopefully the seller is able to offer you a satisfactory resolution.

Yeah - sadly I am not one of those people who will want a refund just for the fun of it.  I usually contact the sellers if something is off and if it's just a "small" flaw or such I just draw their attention to it with a kind reminder to be more careful in the future - with no refunds being exchanged whatsoever (Even when they offer).
This however is so far from the item description and I am sad because its clear that the seller KNEW that there was more damage than shown in the listing.
Seller has been ignoring my messages even though I have tried to keep them very calm, friendly and polite so I guess that I will have to leave my first negative ever.
One more pm (5th message - listing ended a month ago) and then I will have to decide what feedback to leave.
Eating the shipping cost just isn't worth it for me :(

Thank you all so much for your helpful input. I will try to be much more careful (I already consider myself overly careful and picky :lol: ) in the future.

Post Merge: December 06, 2019, 01:29:33 AM

I got in touch with the seller - finally - and asked again if we could work something out due to the items being in worse shape than described.

The reply:

"Any damage that happened during shipping isnt my fault, I posted pictures of how they looked, if they got stained off of each other that's not my fault, these are very old and I expect the buter should understand they are in played with condition and not new."

As a buyer (and seller) I always try to pack items so that they arrive as described. I would sort of assume that that is my last responsibility. To actually do whatever I can to make sure that the items arrive as described.
Sure if the package itself gets damaged due to Post office negligence but up until that point ... ?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 01:29:33 AM by TornadoLovesMelody »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline flying_narwhal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Etsy Store
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2019, 12:00:59 PM »
I would find out if there is a way to make the seller eat the return shipping since this is a clear INAD case.

The most recent message from the seller is ridiculous. This isn't really a "damaged during shipping" problem. They already admitted that they knew about and tried to hide undisclosed flaws PRIOR to shipping (trying to clean them). And even if the damage occurred during shipping it is still their responsibility as a seller to get the package to the buyer safely.

If you just want to let it go and leave appropriate feedback that is your call. I would personally call eBay for advice and see what they say (I know it's a pain but maybe they can offer a solution).

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 12:38:47 PM »
Yes open a case by hitting 'not as descibed' then the seller pays return postage
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal