collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ebay alternatives  (Read 1974 times)

Offline StayGoldPonyboy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
Ebay alternatives
« on: December 11, 2019, 08:52:45 AM »
I don’t have much of a presence on the Arena, so I’m looking for alternate ways to sell. Ebay and Etsy have way too many fees, I was wondering if anyone has had any luck or at least experience with Bonanza or Depop or things like that that could tell me about how it is to be a seller on these sites?

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Ebay alternatives
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 08:54:52 AM »
*Clears throat* It is I, Depop advocate.
Depop actually has the same amount of fees as eBay does (10%) BUT there is no charge for listing. I would suggest joining the Depop Reddit community or at least reading through to be familiar with some of the scams people will pull. I haven't encountered one personally but there are a few that will try to catch newbie sellers.
There is not much of a pony market on Depop but it is there! If you like to thrift it's also a nice place to try to flip clothes and accessories that are cheap but sought after.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Ragamuffin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 09:32:57 AM »
Have you looked into Mercari? I haven't used it myself, to sell OR buy, but I've seen people move there instead of staying on eBay.

Offline cloud_weaver

• Trade Count: (+126)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 09:59:18 AM »
Mercari advocate here.  I sell a TON on Mercari.  It has a very good audience base and it is super easy to list.  I have all but stopped listing on ebay because they kept to sing ways to charge me even though I hadn't sold anything

Mercari also has a 10% fee, but it doesn't send your payment to paypal, so no PayPal fees.  They also have super easy and inexpensive shipping options. 

According to my account overview, I've sold nearly $3,000 there this year.  And that's just recreationally.

There are pluses and minuses to Mercari.  Be aware that you don't get paid until they buyer rates you (or 3 days post delivery via autorating). 

If you try Mercari, you can sign up under my link to get a bonus $10 voucher. 

https://merc.li/7Sea7rb
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 10:04:38 AM by cloud_weaver »

Thank you LunaCat for my Kirin Cloud Weaver!
Cloudie’s Wish List
- http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,396949
Cloudie’s TRADE List
- http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,396962

Offline flying_narwhal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Etsy Store
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2019, 10:22:40 AM »
Mercari advocate here.  I sell a TON on Mercari.  It has a very good audience base and it is super easy to list.  I have all but stopped listing on ebay because they kept to sing ways to charge me even though I hadn't sold anything

Mercari also has a 10% fee, but it doesn't send your payment to paypal, so no PayPal fees.  They also have super easy and inexpensive shipping options. 

According to my account overview, I've sold nearly $3,000 there this year.  And that's just recreationally.

There are pluses and minuses to Mercari.  Be aware that you don't get paid until they buyer rates you (or 3 days post delivery via autorating). 

If you try Mercari, you can sign up under my link to get a bonus $10 voucher. 

https://merc.li/7Sea7rb
^ Seconded! Recently I've been casually moving a few things to Mercari and there are a few things I like:

• I have found that things that have sat forever on eBay sold more quickly on Mercari.
  • I like that if you accept an offer from a buyer they are immediately charged so you can go ahead and ship (I still do not understand why eBay cannot/will not implement this...).
  • Buyer only has 3 days after receiving the item to file a complaint.
  • Shipping is simpler compared to eBay.
  • The flat 10% fee for items sold.
  • No insertion fees for listing.

A few things I'm not crazy about:
  • No way to turn off offers.
  • They need to come up with a way to combine multiple orders from a single buyer without having to make a custom listing. I haven't run into this personally but I have seen other complaints about it.
  • Descriptions are limited to 1000 characters. This is fine for most things but especially if you are trying to describe multiple used items  with flaws in one listing it can feel restrictive. (I realize most people do not want to or simply don't read descriptions but I think it's important to clearly disclose flaws to avoid potential issues later one).
  • This is a very specific complaint that doesn't apply to everyone but I wish they would allow you to get the shipping labels in 4x6 format for those with label printers (as opposed to a regular printer). You can work around this but it's just an unnecessary extra step when shipping.

I don't mind Mercari's method of getting paid since it means that the sale is DONE and I don't have to worry about a PayPal chargeback 5 months from now (I have had several chargebacks on eBay MONTHS after the item was delivered).
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 10:25:52 AM by flying_narwhal »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal