collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anybody familiar with Carousel horses? Full sized one getting an update-maybe  (Read 1213 times)

Offline CopperBluJu

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
A few days ago my doorbell rings and there is a full sized carousel horse on my porch complete with stand. I shut the door laughing then I called my kids over to open the door. They open it and there were two full sized carousel horses and my husband on the porch. I have wanted one for years and Im very excited to restore/repaint! But..

I am running into a few problems and there just isn't enough information on how to repair these.

1. Does anyone know how to remove the pole from the horse? Its two separate pieces and the upper part is loose on one, so far twisting does nothing.

2. I think they are a fiberglass reproductions- Does anyone know how to sand or prep the material to be repainted?

3. Is there anyway to add to or carve this material? I want to make a few minor changes but it still needs to be durable for use.

4. Does anyone know where the manufactures mark would be? I have checked them both over and I cant find it.

5. Does anyone know how I could turn them into a rocking horse? There was a place online that sold a kit back when I started looking but they have since gone out of business and I never could find a tutorial even if I got the supplies.

My girls have requested Rosedust the flutter pony so I think I will use that as my inspiration on the one with RR one it. Not sure about the other yet but still want MLP inspired.

and I posted over in the art forum too.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
Oh WOW. I've got no suggestions but what an amazing project!

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline Kazzellin

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Not personally, no. My local library has a book about making carousel horses, but I don't recall any of the questions you have being listed. There's probably an online group for this sort of thing, though.

Also, there was a carousel pony swap back in 2013--I think someone there was an enthusiast, but I cannot recall who. :huh: The thread is http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,316677.0.html if you'd like to scroll through it. (I'm getting ready for my calculus final tomorrow, so can't look right now.)
My creativity keeps running into a lack of time and resources.  :cry:
I'm also available via twitter at @Kazzellin :)

So many projects!! What do I want to work on? :awake:

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Congrats!! I want to own and restore a carousel horse someday as well, so I'll be stalking if anyone suggests anything.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
I have no ideas, or any notion of where to start. But...wow. I thought you were talking about the merry go round ponies using a different name, not actual full size for human riders carousel horses! Don’t know what I’d do if two of these showed up on my front step. I’m...not even sure where I’d go to buy one.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
Oh WOW! What an awesome surprise! :D Keep us updated—I want to see how these turn out! ^_^

I wish I had answers to your questions... :shrug: Good luck!
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline CopperBluJu

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
Thanks for your interest! I finally got a few answers by digging around on some carousel suppliers websites. I did join a group on facebook and they have helped. I actually found a carousel that has the exact design of my horse.... it happens to be on the opposite side of the country....and it happens to be one I grew up with..... which also means its my favorite carousel and its the one that made me want a carousel horse in the first place! My mom might even have a few photos of me on this carousel. This project just became even more special. After more digging around I found that both these horses are from the Red Robin restaurant. I have been busy coloring in sketches and I am getting closer to what I want for at least one of the horses.

Offline kCherry

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+244)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • *-* Smart Doll Obsessed *-*
    • View Profile
    • Studio 7th Sanctuary is now on Facebook
Well, that's just too cool!! Congrats on the pair!! I hope you keep us updated on them!! <3

My Etsy shop O Ponies *** My Youtube Channel

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal