collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Live action toon films or live action videogame films?

Live action cartoon films get the worst treatment!
10 (40%)
Live action videogame films get the worst treatment!
15 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Which gets worse treatment?  (Read 1323 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Which gets worse treatment?
« on: November 20, 2019, 10:55:17 AM »
Granted some of them do have good films in both, but Hollywood likes to take a dump on them regularly.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Which gets worse treatment?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 10:57:08 AM »
I think video game movies get less trust in them, I can't even name more than a few!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 07:31:41 PM »
I think video games do, but lately it’s been cartoons with the Dora remake, and possibly a few others in the pipeline. Personally? I don’t like live action based on a cartoon at all. It takes a character I know and love, and puts them in a weird, not as animated space. It’s just a bit of a shock to my brain, that’s expecting an animated production.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 02:25:13 PM »
He Man live action starring Dolph Lundgren-so bad I could not finish it. 
Jem-so bad it got pulled from theaters
Original TMNTs-first 2 were good, 3rd was cheesey, have not even attempted to watch the new ones
Transformers-first was good, declined steadily the more they made
Tomb Raider starring Angelina Jolie-I really liked those, did the newer one come out yet?  Don't even know. 
Mortal Comabat-never seen 'em but don't play the game either. 

Granted a few of these are based on toys that had cartoons...maybe I am just missing the mark on this topic...?

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2019, 05:51:52 AM »
I'd have to say video games. The Sonic backlash was monumental. I support movies based on books, it's new material. Studios have to lay off of the CGI, it's getting to be too much.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2019, 06:39:40 AM »
I think it's game movies that are worse overall. Probably because a video game is not a good basis for a 1 1/2 h story. Video games are designed to give a player weeks of entertainment so they usually have way more characters and storylines than what can fit in a movie.

Or in case of Sonic they are just one story but drawn out to the extreme by levels. Can't make a movie about Sonic catching rings for half an hour.

The best idea is to take a video game world and create a new story within it, like Detective Pikachu. So many people went to see it just to count the Pokemon cameos, they didn't need Ash :lookround:
Or something like Tomb Raider where Lara can just go on one adventure per movie and it's always something different but it's all in her world.

I think movies based on cartoons can be abysmal, too. Mostly because the source material is distorted to hell and back to make the movie "more relaistic". Something that isn't really needed, imo, when you are adapting something that was made to be unrealistic (Synergy in Jem, Transformers and Turtles in general, fantasy worlds, most creatures in She-Ra and He-Man).

That's the same problem I have with superhero movies, most of them fail as adaptions of the source material and just create their own thing based on what is hip right now. That's how so many of these Marvel chars are the same character in different clothes in the movies when in the comics they all have their own story and identity. I am still baffled that this formula worked so well over so many years. It's like audiences want to see the same thing over and over and over.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 07:03:58 AM »
I think it's game movies that are worse overall. Probably because a video game is not a good basis for a 1 1/2 h story. Video games are designed to give a player weeks of entertainment so they usually have way more characters and storylines than what can fit in a movie.

Or in case of Sonic they are just one story but drawn out to the extreme by levels. Can't make a movie about Sonic catching rings for half an hour.

The best idea is to take a video game world and create a new story within it, like Detective Pikachu. So many people went to see it just to count the Pokemon cameos, they didn't need Ash :lookround:
Or something like Tomb Raider where Lara can just go on one adventure per movie and it's always something different but it's all in her world.

I think movies based on cartoons can be abysmal, too. Mostly because the source material is distorted to hell and back to make the movie "more relaistic". Something that isn't really needed, imo, when you are adapting something that was made to be unrealistic (Synergy in Jem, Transformers and Turtles in general, fantasy worlds, most creatures in She-Ra and He-Man).

That's the same problem I have with superhero movies, most of them fail as adaptions of the source material and just create their own thing based on what is hip right now. That's how so many of these Marvel chars are the same character in different clothes in the movies when in the comics they all have their own story and identity. I am still baffled that this formula worked so well over so many years. It's like audiences want to see the same thing over and over and over.

Detective Pikachu is based off the game of the same name.

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2019, 09:58:27 AM »

Mario Brothers movie comes to mind with these comments. 

Also, like the Disney live remakes of cartoons-getting old now.  I have no interest in seeing Aladdin or The Lion King.  Maleficient was good, Cinderella was ok, Beauty and the Beast was tolerable but I could not even watch The Jungle Book.  How is The Lion King "live action"?  It's the same type of thing, just CGI now which I hate.  Why reanimate an animated movie like that?  Not like real animals were going to start talking and acting to make it "live action".  You might as well just watch NAT Geo for the "real" lion king. 

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2019, 12:34:38 PM »

Yeah but it wasn't the game in movie form, afaik. The only premise they took was Pikachu as a detective and the world.
It was a new story. Kinda like the Lara Croft movies are new cases for her each time and only borrow certain parts of the games. So noone can say "wait a minute, why was such and such not in it? Why did this and that not happen?" It's a new chapter for these characters but it still takes place in their world.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2019, 03:51:01 PM »
I dunno whether this answers the question, but OMG the hostility towards the Jem movie within the Jem community...and the rabid support of "Jem in any form" that flared up at the same time was horrible. And I believe that there was harassing and threatening of the people involved in it (I don't have any regard for the movie but I  have less regard for that).

I agree with what Zapper said about what they did to Synergy. Synergy is my favourite non-Misfit character from Jem and she has endless possibilities. And in a world where we have Hatsune Miku, for goodness sake, we can't have Synergy? Sigh. I hated everything they did to Jem in that movie.

Then there's random anime/manga live action films. Which mostly should not exist. Some manga-to-dramas work very well. Some...don't.

I don't tend to watch game based films.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2019, 06:13:21 PM »

Yeah but it wasn't the game in movie form, afaik. The only premise they took was Pikachu as a detective and the world.
It was a new story. Kinda like the Lara Croft movies are new cases for her each time and only borrow certain parts of the games. So noone can say "wait a minute, why was such and such not in it? Why did this and that not happen?" It's a new chapter for these characters but it still takes place in their world.

Pokemon fans seem more used to that kinda thing since the toon and films are very very weird and innacurate.  :
 :biggrin:

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2019, 07:11:34 PM »
I dunno whether this answers the question, but OMG the hostility towards the Jem movie within the Jem community...and the rabid support of "Jem in any form" that flared up at the same time was horrible. And I believe that there was harassing and threatening of the people involved in it (I don't have any regard for the movie but I  have less regard for that).

I agree with what Zapper said about what they did to Synergy. Synergy is my favourite non-Misfit character from Jem and she has endless possibilities. And in a world where we have Hatsune Miku, for goodness sake, we can't have Synergy? Sigh. I hated everything they did to Jem in that movie.

Then there's random anime/manga live action films. Which mostly should not exist. Some manga-to-dramas work very well. Some...don't.

I don't tend to watch game based films.

I agree with Zapper and Taffeta about the Jem movie. I have never been able to sit through more than 15 minutes of it. They used Jem character names to create something that was not even close to Jem.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal