collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ordering from Amazon UK when I live in the US  (Read 1304 times)

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Ordering from Amazon UK when I live in the US
« on: November 15, 2019, 12:14:21 PM »
So I really want the white/lavender 2DS that is available in Europe (along with a copy of Pokemon X or Y to play on it).  My brother was in London this last week and couldn't find either for me so I thought I'd try to order it from Amazon.  However, if I purchase it from Amazon UK, will they ship it to me in the states?  I wasn't sure if they would and if they're not going to I really don't want to waste the time/money to try.  I thought maybe someone on here might know.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Ordering from Amazon UK when I live in the US
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 04:29:59 AM »
The website should tell you if it's possible - what generally happens in reverse is that either on the page itself or when you get to check out it will tell you an item cannot be shipped to your location. I get this a lot with Amazon Japan so I expect it would be like this for you too.

If it's the main Amazon store though it should be on the product page where the basket adding info is.

Also, I believe power rates are different UK / US...I don't know that this is an issue for a console of some kind but  it might be worth looking into.

Our power cables in the UK are not the same as in the US, either. I assume this will be like previous in Europe where they don't come with any power cable (and it may not matter because your US plug may just fix) but the UK uses a three prong plug and Europe in general is not the same as the UK or the US.

So maybe find out about that as well (unless you already have done this in the past and have the charger/power situation sorted out).

I think with the power level it's more power here than other places as I had to get as step down transformer for my Japanese PS2 a long time back...but I may be wrong. I remember when a pony friend came to London and was charging her phone in my flat it worked fine with my charger...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 08:22:55 AM »
From pictures on the internet, it looks like the US charge cable will fit the DS I'm looking at.  If not, i can order it later. 

So if I order using a US account, will it automatically change it into pounds/euros or do I have to do something to convert the money ahead of time?

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2019, 11:48:54 AM »
It will do it automatically but your bank or cc will probably charge an international transaction fee. It isn't usually a lot. Ot it may give you the option to pay in dollars...as you have a us address...but then the charge is basically in the conversion.

At least that is how amazon Japan works for me...amazon in the US has only ever let me pay in dollars.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Twizel

• Switchblade Kitten
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • This crown gives me a feeling of power! POWER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 10:55:42 AM »
Its been awhile, but I've ordered from Amazon UK before, and had no trouble with the shipping process. The price on the UK site was listed in Euros, so you'll have to convert the currency to get an idea of total, but there was no problem with my credit card handling the transaction. Shipping took awhile, but other than that it went smoothly. If you're concerned about it, maybe contact the seller and ask?

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 10:57:33 AM »
Its been awhile, but I've ordered from Amazon UK before, and had no trouble with the shipping process. The price on the UK site was listed in Euros, so you'll have to convert the currency to get an idea of total, but there was no problem with my credit card handling the transaction. Shipping took awhile, but other than that it went smoothly. If you're concerned about it, maybe contact the seller and ask?

The price on the UK site would be listed in £sterling (pounds) because we don't use the Euro.

Which is actually a kind of contentious topic here for a few reasons, so yeah, heads up. We don't use the Euro.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 12:20:12 PM »
I took advantage of Cyber Monday and ordered what I wanted.  The site asked if I wanted to pay in US Dollars and it converted the price for me.  So it was much easier than I was expecting it to be and I look forward to my pretty new DS.  :)

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 04:20:58 PM »
Yay! Congrats!!
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Twizel

• Switchblade Kitten
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • This crown gives me a feeling of power! POWER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2019, 09:30:14 AM »
The price on the UK site would be listed in £sterling (pounds) because we don't use the Euro.

Which is actually a kind of contentious topic here for a few reasons, so yeah, heads up. We don't use the Euro.

Forgive my ignorance. This was probably five or six years ago - I assumed the listed price was in Euros, was it in pounds back then, too? It's possible that at the time I saw £ and assumed it meant Euro because it sort of looks like an E.
I do try not to be a dunce, but I'm American, so I can only do so much =P

Ok, so looking around at European-based storefronts, this: € must represent Euros then, correct?

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2019, 10:24:29 AM »

Forgive my ignorance. This was probably five or six years ago - I assumed the listed price was in Euros, was it in pounds back then, too? It's possible that at the time I saw £ and assumed it meant Euro because it sort of looks like an E.
I do try not to be a dunce, but I'm American, so I can only do so much =P

Ok, so looking around at European-based storefronts, this: € must represent Euros then, correct?

Yeah. We have never had the Euro. Years back (when the Euro was being introduced) it was raised as a possibility but the backlash here was so violent the govt backtracked on the suggestion. We've always had the pound, going back into the middle ages. It's value/conversion has changed a bit but it is also several hundred years older than the $US.

The Euro replaced a bunch of European currencies about what, 20ish years ago and is really very useful when travelling as a tourist in Europe - but not valid currency over here.

I think even the majority of British people who would rather stay in the EU and like Europe were against us having the Euro.

You are correct. £ is pound sterling. € is Euro.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 10:26:37 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal