collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Konmari anyone?  (Read 1041 times)

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Konmari anyone?
« on: November 15, 2019, 05:11:43 AM »
Is anyone decluttering using the technique made famous by Marie Kondō and how does is work out for you?

I am currently trying to use it for minimizing my collections but I am struggling. Some things don't spark joy but at the same time I remember how hard it was to get them and that makes me hesitate to sell them off.

I usually put these items in a box out of sight, out of mind to come back later and think again.

Offline TornadoLovesMelody

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • My Sales Album (not updated)
Re: Konmari anyone?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 07:28:54 AM »
I have begun, but am starting with clothes so am faaaaaaaaaar away from collection which would be the last miscellaneous / sentimental thing to go through.

I think that what you do, with putting it away in a box for now is good. The Kondo-thing doesn't really allow for collections so I guess those are excluded from the de-cluttering business. At the same time, if you don't have room to display your collections and don't plan to move or give them more space maybe that speaks for itself regarding the pieces not on display :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 08:57:30 AM »
At the same time, if you don't have room to display your collections and don't plan to move or give them more space maybe that speaks for itself regarding the pieces not on display :)

In theory I have space enough but I don't like living in a toy museum :lol:

Usually I rotate what's on display but the thought alone of owning so much makes me feel uncomfortable. It's like a minimalist/anticonsumerist and a hoarder are fighting inside my soul. I also hate the look of boxes under my bed, lol. So sooner or later what's inside the boxes should go.

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2019, 11:24:12 PM »
I did!

I was reading through the books and just starting to go through the process when I decided to Konmari my marriage and throw it out :lol: When I left, I used the techniques to decide what to take with me and what to leave because I had so little space to take anything. Almost all of my possessions were left behind and it was very freeing. I didn't do it traditionally by category, but just as I packed things from each section. Luckily I had the freedom to come back for a few things I regretted leaving behind but for the most part I never missed any of it.

Since then I've gotten rid of more things that no longer spark joy. Some stuff is still "well I need X thing so this will do for now" but for the most part I love almost everything I have. I no longer buy "placeholder" items, unless I absolutely have to, and that's honestly made shopping feel much more rewarding and less stressful whenever I have to do it.

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2019, 04:00:51 AM »
Honestlyyyy... it’s never worked for me in regards to collecting. XD I own what I own (and buy what I buy) because those things bring me joy. When I go through my stuff, I find that that “spark” is still there for basically everything. Only rarely do I sell or otherwise downsize, and those are always items I very deliberately select out of my collection for one reason (huge and impractical for display) or another (disappointed with the product once it was in-hand).

I do routinely and drastically thin my wardrobe, however. I’m very picky about my clothes, and the quality, fit, and overall look of them. Cheap-looking fabrics or poor construction really gnaw at me... As a result, I sometimes sort my closet to the point that there isn’t much left to wear. >_<;
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 04:02:54 AM by Nemesis »
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline SunbeamV

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2019, 04:26:00 AM »
I don't really use it in terms of collecting since what I enjoy is the challenge of thrift hunting and restoration projects, but my entire wardrobe is konmari'd and it makes my life so much easier! It's really helped me get into a healthier headspace when it comes to expressing myself (no more ugly "I'm too sick to care so these are my only 3 pairs of pants" outfits! I love everything I wear!), and I've figured out how many clothes I actually need to get through rough weeks or even months with my health when having to do laundry might be the tipping point into hurting myself. It also makes me excited to get dressed, and open up my drawers full of perfectly folded tshirts and leggings, as opposed to two years ago when clothes were an absolute battleground because of my medical problems restricting my options.

I realize collections can be a totally different beast, but I would honestly recommend incorporating as much of the technique as you feel comfortable with. Maybe start by getting rid of the cheaper/easier to find items that don't really make you happy anymore? That way it can be a test run and if you regret it, it's not too hard or expensive to replace. Or maybe you won't end up missing them at all! I think starting is the hardest part, though.

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2019, 06:54:16 AM »
I've done it with some things - it really helped give me a different mindset to be able to sort and purge, vs just "everything is neat so I must keep it". I did do some on my collection, things that were easy - just collected it for the sake of collecting everything MLP, not because I really wanted it.
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline JazzMatazz

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I'll interrogate the cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2019, 03:10:09 PM »
It really speaks to me, but my mom is a bit of a hoarder so me feeling satisfied with our home just isn't happening. But I do Konmari my own things a few times a year.
My Wishlist  Instagram
 Sun, Ultra Moon  FC: 5069-4168-6248  SW-8466-0948-3971

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal