collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The Toys That Made Us  (Read 14670 times)

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: The Toys That Made Us
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2019, 02:45:19 PM »
Overall I liked it.

Some parts I didn't like:

Spoiler
They implied that "Rescue from Midnight Castle" was somehow inappropriate for girls.  I remember it as being the best thing I'd ever seen as a girl! Everyone in my grade had seen it too. Applejack was a big favorite.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Lilja

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2019, 03:12:08 PM »
It was a good watch! I was not disappointed (only wish it could've been longer). Didn't know the origin of MPP/MLP was quite that convoluted, so that was interesting to hear. Glad G2 at least got a a mention, which was more than I had expected really.

Some interesting stuff I noticed in the background:
Spoiler

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2019, 03:44:21 PM »
Thanks for weighing in Sunset! I wasnt sure if I was reading too much into it because I felt a little sad that G2 got dunked on. Great point about the hub piece of it   

I can see it not being fun to watch if your a fan of G2.  It didn’t bother me as much personally because G2 isn’t my favorite generation but also because this show does usually try to be pretty jokey.  That’s part of its entertainment value, especially for the non-fans.  All of the episodes have moments where they take pot shots at the less popular designs or gimmicks.

Offline poniesthatsparkle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • TAF Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2019, 06:12:54 PM »
I just watched it and I liked it! I'm kind of sad that G2 and G3 didn't get much attention but I was kind of expecting that. Overall I thought it was a fun episode, probably my favorite of the series!

My mom watched it with me and it was kind of fun when she kept asking if I had each pony that was mentioned. She was sad that I don't have Edgar the Elephant. Yet.

Offline caseysealia

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2019, 07:09:30 PM »
Time ago I sent them pictures of my collection, and then I forgot it.

Today I received a text saying that one of my pics appears in the final credits  :lol:

I haven´t Netflix so I couldn´t see the episode (hope to find it in another website soon), but I´m happy to see my picture. The person that sent me the screenshots said its is the only collection from Argentina they showed  ^.^

Absolute congrats!

Offline Valerie

• Dabbles Pony
  • ☼ I ❤ G3 ☼
    • View Profile
    • Valerie´s Pony Rainbow
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2019, 07:37:14 PM »
:sunny:   visitors can't see pics , please register or login
   :sunny:   

Valerie´s Pony Rainbow Tumblr - Instagram - Youtube
:heart:

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2019, 08:50:25 PM »
Finished watching it tonight! Definitely interesting—I really enjoyed it. Even though I’m a big G2 fan, I’m not really bothered by their panning of it. Obviously every fan (and designer) is entitled to their opinion of the different pony eras, and that’s how it should be. :) TTtMU has a very light, silly tone, and everything was in keeping with that.

I loved all the designer interviews. I particularly enjoyed Khipra Nichols’ insights on the playsets (and the origin of Spike)... G1 playsets were the best. <3

The only part that actually bugged me at all was the implication that RaMC was somehow a misstep. RaMC has always been my favorite pony animation! I really miss that perfect blend of rainbow ponies and horrific creatures of darkness. But maybe I’m weird. XD

P.S.: Congrats, Valerie!!! That’s so cool! :D
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 09:04:33 PM by Nemesis »
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline caseysealia

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile

Offline cloud_weaver

• Trade Count: (+126)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2019, 09:52:15 PM »
I just watched the episode and really enjoyed it. I loved seeing all the history from the creators and developers at the My Little Pony line. It was very interesting to see how they came about.

I also loved seeing Summer, it was very exciting to see her actually in the show. (For those of you who don’t know, she’s the girl who runs the My Little Pony Fair and also wrote the book the my Little pony collectors guide).

I was a little disappointed with how frowned upon the G2’s were portrayed, with the ”This is not my little pony.”  I do love the G2’s, they have a unique style, but I do recognize that they are made by Kenner and not Hasbro.

All in all, though I really enjoyed the show.  Loved to see Lauren Faust’s take on why she stepped into the Pony realm.  I’ve never really gotten into the FiM show as much as other collectors, have watched most of the seasons but really never gotten into the fandom. So it was really unique and exciting to be able to see her love for a G1’s and why she wanted to accurately represent in G4. Made me appreciate friendship is magic that much more.

Side note, Nemisis - I LOVED the Return to Midnight Castle special. It was the first ep. I ever watched, and I absolutely adore it. You are not alone!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 11:21:22 PM by cloud_weaver »

Thank you LunaCat for my Kirin Cloud Weaver!
Cloudie’s Wish List
- http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,396949
Cloudie’s TRADE List
- http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,396962

Offline Eighties_Otaku

• Custom Bait Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2019, 10:41:32 PM »
I too enjoyed the episode and also wished they had more about the ideas and designs more. I guess that would be more of a documentary than anything, that I'd love to see. I'd throw money at that! I also hope there is more info on the extended version I hope to see one day.

On G2 was a bit sad at the quick throwaway bit and G3 didn't last long. Super happy the brony bit didn't go on. I wanted to hear about Escape from Catrina and what the heck that original cover art was about. Also, Rescue at Midnight Castle is amazing.

The bit with Lauren's letter was really sweet. She posted the whole thing on her twitter account.

Really happy to see Summer in there too. I'm sad I didn't get know about submitting my photo of my collection D:

All in all, it was quite enjoyable :)

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2019, 11:04:33 PM »
I’m also sad I didn’t submit a picture. A picture of my MOC wall would have been fun. They didn’t say how successful ($) g4 has been did they? They compared the first 3 generations. Went a bit overboard on back and forth and jokes, but all in all enjoyable. I’d rather a 2 hour documentary on g1 😂 but 44 minutes is great.

I also was offended at bashing of rescue at midnight castle. It wasn’t scary, it was great! Guess not successful enough to keep it as high quality as it was. The movie and cartoon was a downgrade.

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2019, 11:18:34 PM »
It was a good watch! I was not disappointed (only wish it could've been longer). Didn't know the origin of MPP/MLP was quite that convoluted, so that was interesting to hear. Glad G2 at least got a a mention, which was more than I had expected really.

Spoiler

What are those adorable bunnies and that yellow moose/deer?!?!?!?!
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline Shaz

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2019, 01:44:43 AM »
I'm surprised Rescue at Midnight Castle was described as a misstep. It's my favourite pony cartoon of all time! I thought it was pretty universally loved?

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2019, 04:21:26 AM »
I thought the episode was fun, and was what I expected based on the past seasons. It is very North America centric, which is not surprising as they’re focused a lot on the original development of the toys (and it was the same for the other episodes) but it would have been interesting to see some nirvana ponies or mention that G2 lasted way longer in Europe. But it’s only 45 minutes and we all know that we could talk about ponies for days and not cover everything.

Elf

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2019, 06:09:09 AM »

Spoiler

What are those adorable bunnies and that yellow moose/deer?!?!?!?!

I think the bunnies might be Bunnyhop from Moondreamers?

http://www.ghostofthedoll.co.uk/moondreamers-unproduced.php

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal