collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Let’s talk Glow N Show’s  (Read 2869 times)

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
Re: Let’s talk Glow N Show’s
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2019, 09:31:34 AM »
Oooh yay!! yay! GNS are the best!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I have since found him with original hair but have failed to show a picture

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2019, 02:04:02 PM »
With starglows body colour there is a blue version and a green version : ) As far as I can tell the blue version was only available in the us

My Starglow was purchased in the US, and she's a very dark shade of green in person. She's also more translucent than other Starglows I've seen.

sorry I sold have clarified both the green and blue where released in the us, it took me ages to find the blue one, I was told she was only found in the us and that is where I ended up getting her from

The problem with this is how you define blue and green. My sister grew up with Starglow as a childhood pony, I would always call her pony blue...that said, she's probably blue with a hint of green...if that makes sense. I would probably not know how to spot a "blue" Starglow since I wouldn't call any of the ones I've had "green". Maybe dark blue-green in some cases, but never "green".

There are definitely body colour differences (blue heart Daz is the most obvious) but I personally find it easier with the hair.

My two Starglows are both from the US, one with the coral and one with the pink - but I haven't really compared my pink hair one to my sister's to see if there's a colour difference.

On the subject of this set and releases - my theory about why the US has more variations generally than the UK on these is that they began in the US (which they did) and then somewhere in the middle production changed. The UK and maybe Europe came in after so generally missed the original release style (this explains blue heart Daz not making it to the UK etc).

But there is another complication with these which is that a lot of (not all) European bought ones have distinctly different hair texture that has a tendency to go rough, unlike the US ones that are silkier. So the pink in my Dazzleglow's hair from here in the UK will not fade, but her hair is quite rough at the ends, hence I braided her up...

And the two Dazzles from the US - pink and blue hearts - both have silky hair, but the pink they have in the hair is fading pink.

I am convinced there exist more...

In reguards to starglow there is enough difference to define colour in my opinion, their hair colour is the same so it does nothing to differentiate the difference.
I am not very computer literate but this link should so the difference, there is quite a few comparsion photos on there on google also
https://photos.app.goo.gl/hQc73RQZ8oBTzfut7

Some dazzles
https://photos.app.goo.gl/MPQsHMWJjuBt5s6P9
The top 3 (with the exception of blue hairs) all have blue hair, the first on the left has pink hair, the other 2 fading pink hair.
The bottom 2 dazzles are teal and fading pink hair
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 02:09:37 PM by nhal039 »

Offline Skylar

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+211)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2019, 02:32:47 PM »
I love this set! I had all of them until a couple of weeks ago when I sold them to pay for some medical bills. Now seeing the pics of them makes me kind of sad but happy for those who have them!

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2019, 02:39:12 PM »
I have only two of this set, and have yet to find the other two and that lovely blue heart variant.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2019, 03:49:50 PM »
With starglows body colour there is a blue version and a green version : ) As far as I can tell the blue version was only available in the us

My Starglow was purchased in the US, and she's a very dark shade of green in person. She's also more translucent than other Starglows I've seen.

sorry I sold have clarified both the green and blue where released in the us, it took me ages to find the blue one, I was told she was only found in the us and that is where I ended up getting her from

The problem with this is how you define blue and green. My sister grew up with Starglow as a childhood pony, I would always call her pony blue...that said, she's probably blue with a hint of green...if that makes sense. I would probably not know how to spot a "blue" Starglow since I wouldn't call any of the ones I've had "green". Maybe dark blue-green in some cases, but never "green".

There are definitely body colour differences (blue heart Daz is the most obvious) but I personally find it easier with the hair.

My two Starglows are both from the US, one with the coral and one with the pink - but I haven't really compared my pink hair one to my sister's to see if there's a colour difference.

On the subject of this set and releases - my theory about why the US has more variations generally than the UK on these is that they began in the US (which they did) and then somewhere in the middle production changed. The UK and maybe Europe came in after so generally missed the original release style (this explains blue heart Daz not making it to the UK etc).

But there is another complication with these which is that a lot of (not all) European bought ones have distinctly different hair texture that has a tendency to go rough, unlike the US ones that are silkier. So the pink in my Dazzleglow's hair from here in the UK will not fade, but her hair is quite rough at the ends, hence I braided her up...

And the two Dazzles from the US - pink and blue hearts - both have silky hair, but the pink they have in the hair is fading pink.

I am convinced there exist more...

In reguards to starglow there is enough difference to define colour in my opinion, their hair colour is the same so it does nothing to differentiate the difference.
I am not very computer literate but this link should so the difference, there is quite a few comparsion photos on there on google also
https://photos.app.goo.gl/hQc73RQZ8oBTzfut7

Some dazzles
https://photos.app.goo.gl/MPQsHMWJjuBt5s6P9
The top 3 (with the exception of blue hairs) all have blue hair, the first on the left has pink hair, the other 2 fading pink hair.
The bottom 2 dazzles are teal and fading pink hair

Yeah, I can see it in that pic, I don't call either green but there's a distinction. Without digging out my sister's childhood pony, though, I can't do a colour compare with my US ones. My coral haired one has a more aqua shade I think, but Starglow's colour range to me goes from blue with a hint of green to dark aqua.

The hair suggests they're both American or American-import release though.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 03:51:50 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2019, 04:01:24 PM »
I have 3 variant Starglows - one of which is a blue one from the USA with straight hair and it is a very dark blue. Nothing like the teal/jade colours of other Starglows. It’s definitely a different colour - more striking than the subtle differences in the hair for Glow n Shows which are accepted as variants.

There are photos on my Instagram :)

« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 04:04:52 PM by Noasar »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2019, 04:12:59 PM »
So this shade discussion made me go grab Naynie's pony and my two and put them together. It's not good enough light to take proper images at the moment but hers (bought new in the UK) is midway between the two I have from the US in body tone. The US one with the pink hair is the bluest, the one with the coral hair is the greenest. I'd say closer to teal maybe...not sure how to describe it.

But what's also interesting is that Naynie's childhood Starglow has a much narrower yellow streak on the bottom row. She has the different hair texture type so I guess that's related.

This is an older picture of Naynie's pony.

I don't seem to have one of my bluest one which has the silky pink/yellow hair and is from the US. She's a much more recent addition than the others.

I would beg to differ that most of the hair variations are minor; there's a big difference between the fading pink/aqua and non-fading pink/blue on Dazzleglow, and also a difference between aqua or blue on Happyglow. Brightglow is much more nuanced though...

So far as Starglow is concerned, this one looks the most distinctly different, she's also the greenest but still in my view teal.

I do think these can and do discolour but I also think there's a lot of batch variations in body tone, like the Sparkles sometimes have...

My guess with the translucenty Starglows is they are the original release, like blue heart Daz that tends to be more translucent in the body tone.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 04:15:20 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2019, 07:11:58 PM »
Taffate I love that coral hair girl! She is amazing, that was a lucky choice by your sister.

Oh hair variations are completely valid and easy to go from just with the starglow I think there is an exception with the body colour as a variation as the blue one is very different over the green. I should get a pic comparing them to solid pony colours but the green one to me has very little blue in it and is certainly on the green end of the colour spectrum.

Bright glow has only the one hair coloured variant that I know of and that is the coral and blue haired lady. I have only seen 3 of her I would imagine she is like your sisters starglow in scarcity. All 3 of the ones I know of have come from the uk

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2019, 12:39:55 AM »
Taffate I love that coral hair girl! She is amazing, that was a lucky choice by your sister.

Oh hair variations are completely valid and easy to go from just with the starglow I think there is an exception with the body colour as a variation as the blue one is very different over the green. I should get a pic comparing them to solid pony colours but the green one to me has very little blue in it and is certainly on the green end of the colour spectrum.

Bright glow has only the one hair coloured variant that I know of and that is the coral and blue haired lady. I have only seen 3 of her I would imagine she is like your sisters starglow in scarcity. All 3 of the ones I know of have come from the uk

The coral hair Starglow is actually from the US ;)

Brightglow is a weird one tbh...
My childhood one has lavender (curly) and dark pink (straight) hair going on. She's always been like that and I know others who had similar as a kid because it's so hard to style a pony like that (the same thing happened here sometimes with the Rockin' Beat Half Note but that's another story...)

In any case, I know there's a proper silky hair version but the one in my photo above is my sister's and she was a rescue/bait pony whose hair is so bad it broke one of my combs trying to sort it out. So while I guess she once had the silky straight hair, it might not be the case. I'm not ruling out the possibility that there is dark pink/lavender and dark pink/slightly darker purple both in silky straight as well as the one I have from childhood whose hair is not ratty but drove me mad as a kid trying to figure out what to do with it.

You can't see it so well here as I just gave up and put it in a ribbon (I used to braid the pink bits and put bows in the purple bit when I was younger xD) but it is obvious how curly the lavender bits are vs the braided section at the front...

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2019, 02:25:38 PM »
I love that coral haired Starglow!

I didn’t mean that the hair variants aren’t valid, only that the differences in colour are more subtle than the jade/blue body colour variants that occur. Blue Starglow is a definite variant - whether that is due to the batch or country of release like the hair I don’t know, but it seems like all of the blue ones have come exclusively from the US.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2019, 03:56:41 AM »
I love that coral haired Starglow!

I didn’t mean that the hair variants aren’t valid, only that the differences in colour are more subtle than the jade/blue body colour variants that occur. Blue Starglow is a definite variant - whether that is due to the batch or country of release like the hair I don’t know, but it seems like all of the blue ones have come exclusively from the US.

I wouldn't call the differences in hair colour more subtle when they're completely different colours - except on Brightglow, where they are subtle. The differences in hair texture, on the other hand, is harder to pinpoint between rough hair or frizzy hair that was once decent...though some are more heavily rooted (this is true of the rainbow baby set and stuff as well).

But coral is a long way from dark pink. Aqua is a long way from blue. And fading pink is distinctly not regular pink. Whereas some of the body shade differences are fading, and some are not...another difficult distinction to make when we're talking about green shades of blue and yellow/orangy shades of purple for Starglow and Dazzleglow in which a safe MOC is the best way to validate them and harder in general to find.

BUT there is definitely a difference in opacity between some releases. Noasar, your Starglow looks more translucent than most Starglows I've seen, which is why I said it reminded me of the blue heart Dazzleglow. She's also generally more translucent and her colouring looks very different from the more minor variations among the pink hearted ones...which is why I would assume the very blue more translucent Starglow comes from the original release. That would also explain why she only exists in the US, since they had the set first.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2019, 09:29:37 AM »
I only have happyglow, but I’d like to get more GnS. I like her, and she’s in alright condition. Thing is, I don’t want to risk damaging him even more by removing his head. You can’t really see it in the picture, but his washer is no longer on the tail. In this picture, it in his hind leg. You can see it rattling and moving in the body, which is kinda cool. I like to think of the glow N shows like those transparent frog things. Or phantom like entities.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2019, 10:51:15 AM »
I would just leave the washer. At least it’s not rusty! Her hair is gorgeous. Happyglow can have reaaaallly frizzy hair sometimes.

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2019, 10:36:04 AM »
I don't own any of this line, but I see Noasar on insta posting her pony all the time and she looks fabulous. Always great to see her in my feed.
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline NigheanRuadh

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Pony rescuer!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2019, 12:26:11 PM »
I have no GnS ponies.  I've been aware of them but haven't paid much attention to them beyond knowing that they tend to be rather expensive.  Then I read this thread and realized that Starglow has a piano as her symbol.  I was a piano major in college.  MUST HAVE PIANO PONY!!!

(Yeah, right.  I don't really have the budget for a GnS.  Oh, well...)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal