collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Pony Life and G4.5  (Read 32954 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Pony: Pony Life (Announcement)
« Reply #135 on: November 24, 2019, 05:23:03 PM »
The animation and art style doesn't bother me...
Spoiler
...too much...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

...but I get the feeling it will look a little different in the actual cartoon as opposed to this promo.
I just hope that it will be a short, sweet, silly series for us to enjoy while we await 2021.

Man I HOPE it looks different. The more I look at those screen shots the more horrified I am..I just don't want MLP to be...that.

I am curious why the consensus seems to be that Pony Life will be short lived and the movie will be G5. Is it because of all those leaks of the M6 in different styles from a while back? Or is it that many are HOPING that the movie will be something better? Because that's where I'm at currently. Haha. I'll gladly eat my words if PL ends up actually being good but I'm not optimistic.

I'm tired of the TTG animation and its stupid brand of humor.

Idk about everyone else but I do NOT want this to be the face of MLP for the next decade, so I'm hoping this is a brief transitory stage.

I don't think it will be transitory though.
Because Hasbro hasn't cared about putting out decent MLP in a long time. They don't give a flying unicorn turd as they've done nothing but cheap out in every single way.

We are not likely to see a return to G3 or G1 quality once Basic Fun is done.

All the good effort, quality, and creativity is going to Transformers.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 05:25:40 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 24, 2019, 05:40:41 PM »
The animation and art style doesn't bother me...
Spoiler
...too much...

...but I get the feeling it will look a little different in the actual cartoon as opposed to this promo.
I just hope that it will be a short, sweet, silly series for us to enjoy while we await 2021.

Man I HOPE it looks different. The more I look at those screen shots the more horrified I am..I just don't want MLP to be...that.

I am curious why the consensus seems to be that Pony Life will be short lived and the movie will be G5. Is it because of all those leaks of the M6 in different styles from a while back? Or is it that many are HOPING that the movie will be something better? Because that's where I'm at currently. Haha. I'll gladly eat my words if PL ends up actually being good but I'm not optimistic.

I'm tired of the TTG animation and its stupid brand of humor.

Idk about everyone else but I do NOT want this to be the face of MLP for the next decade, so I'm hoping this is a brief transitory stage.

I don't think it will be transitory though.
Because Hasbro hasn't cared about putting out decent MLP in a long time. They don't give a flying unicorn turd as they've done nothing but cheap out in every single way.

Same. For me, the CalArts style is the only type of animation that I can't stand to watch. I'll quietly sit this one out, although I'll probably buy a Fluttershy and maybe a Potion Nova somewhere down the line.

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

Offline Glitter Yolk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Depends Pony
  • Researching fakies, as always
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 24, 2019, 06:04:53 PM »
My two cents:

Not gonna lie, the new art style had me unimpressed. The toys are weird.

But the more I look at the art, the more I don't mind it. The thing I do mind is the overly silly cartoonish faces. I don't like those huge mouths, and as everyone else has said it looks like TTGo humor.

I'm strongly praying it isn't. The 'lol so random! XD' humor is very dated at this point. I don't mind a series of the ponies just hanging out, but I don't want their characters to be reduced to 'let's be stupid for the sake of entertainment'. If the animation is just more exaggerated for fun, maybe that's okay.

What I do like is the artsy backgrounds, and since this seems to be an intermediary period between G4 and G5, that means this mini series won't be milked to death like G4 was. In all, I'm willing to try watching the show before deciding whether or not it's a hit or miss. I could end up enjoying it? But I'm tentative to jump into it with open arms. I hope it's going to have some sweet, tender or cute moments. Maybe throw in some new characters now and then? Otherwise I will keep my hopes to a minimum.

Offline Ragamuffin

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #138 on: November 27, 2019, 03:00:06 PM »
Some new PL were listed today, Luna and Celestia EQG Fashion Squad figures that come with molded mane ponies.

Luna is a recoloured Sunset Shimmer and Celestia is a recoloured Starlight Glimmer. I appreciate the ponies having painted hooves. The legs look like they're poseable but I wouldn't be surprised if that's not the case.

(from Pony Toy News)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 27, 2019, 05:04:53 PM »
Ugh. Here we have a Luna with lovely blues and its on this mould.  Darnit Hasbro!  :throw:
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 05:09:45 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #140 on: November 27, 2019, 05:19:04 PM »
Ugh. Here we have a Luna with lovely blues and its on this mould.  Darnit Hasbro!  :throw:

I like the doll mini though. Maybe because it's a sunset mould.

The pony is not so bad in this style compared to the other, but...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 27, 2019, 07:50:21 PM »
I actually think those designs look kind of cute.  But I think the deal with those is that they do have all that molded hair to soften the lines of the head in a way that brushable hair will never be able to do.

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 27, 2019, 10:40:24 PM »
OH NO THEY’RE ADORABLE. I hate both those toylines, but these are super cute. The molded manes help shape the faces so they don’t look so wide, and make the ears seem less tall. The EqG Minis are cute too - I was sad we never got a Luna EqG Mini, so I guess this works. Plus hey, more for my Army of the Two Sisters!
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 27, 2019, 10:58:31 PM »
I’m not a huge fan of those, but I do like the painted hooves and the accessories... I’m torn haha
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 28, 2019, 04:18:03 AM »
For me, the CalArts style is the only type of animation that I can't stand to watch.

You can't stand to watch FiM, Disney movies, Pixar movies, Disney shows, most CN and Nick shows? Whoa, that's a lot!
Because all of those are CalArts. CalArts was founded by the Disney brothers, so basically CalArts style = Disney style.

Offline TJgamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • An open-minded adventurer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 28, 2019, 05:41:36 AM »
Yeah, unfortunately the term "CalArts" has become the go-to word for the popular trend of flat, rounded character designs with bean shaped heads and noodle limbs. People typically think Adventure Time, Gravity Falls, Steven Universe, Clarence, that kind of stuff when they say CalArts, even if it's not entirely accurate.
They: You're too old to watch that show!
Me: Can't hear ya, I'm asleep.

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 28, 2019, 06:27:51 AM »
Yeah, unfortunately the term "CalArts" has become the go-to word for the popular trend of flat, rounded character designs with bean shaped heads and noodle limbs. People typically think Adventure Time, Gravity Falls, Steven Universe, Clarence, that kind of stuff when they say CalArts, even if it's not entirely accurate.

That is so weird, tho. People in the animation industry have pointed out that the negative term "CalArts style" has been around since the early 90s (mostly because CalArts is Disney and is therefore dominating other schools) and that was when the "round noodle" designs didn't even exist. I totally get not liking character design trends, but the "CalArts style" argument is always a headscratcher.

Just say you don't like round mouth edges and round eyes, lol.

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 28, 2019, 06:28:39 AM »
For me, the CalArts style is the only type of animation that I can't stand to watch.

You can't stand to watch FiM, Disney movies, Pixar movies, Disney shows, most CN and Nick shows? Whoa, that's a lot!
Because all of those are CalArts. CalArts was founded by the Disney brothers, so basically CalArts style = Disney style.
Read what I wrote - CalArts style. Here: this is what's considered CalArts style. And no, I don't watch any of the shows pictured, although I acknowledge their popularity. I'm not referring to the institute - I'm referring to the beanface style which has been given a nickname by others.

Would it be easier if I just said 'bean mouth' from now on?

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 28, 2019, 07:00:56 AM »

Read what I wrote - CalArts style. Here: this is what's considered CalArts style. And no, I don't watch any of the shows pictured, although I acknowledge their popularity. I'm not referring to the institute - I'm referring to the beanface style which has been given a nickname by others.

I read what you wrote but you didn't read what I wrote. "CalArts Style" as a negative term has been around since the early 90s when "bean mouth" didn't exist.

I certainly wouldn't have asked you if you don't watch FiM (Lauren Faust is a CalArts grad) if you just said "I hate the mouth shape".

That nickname came about because CalArts has too much power in the animation industry and that makes other schools graduates jealous (rightfully so). The art style is ever changing following trends. The real problem with CalArts is that they are dominating the industry. They aren't forcing their graduates to adopt a style (more so they are teaching Nine Old Men stuff because they are Disney, as I have already mentioned).

Tl;Dr: We only se bean-mouth stuff right now because it is popular, not because it was orchestrated by CalArts :lol:

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 28, 2019, 07:06:19 AM »

I read what you wrote but you didn't read what I wrote. "CalArts Style" as a negative term has been around since the early 90s when "bean mouth" didn't exist.

I certainly wouldn't have asked you if you don't watch FiM (Lauren Faust is a CalArts grad) if you just said "I hate the mouth shape".

That nickname came about because CalArts has too much power in the animation industry and that makes other schools graduates jealous (rightfully so). The art style is ever changing following trends. The real problem with CalArts is that they are dominating the industry. They aren't forcing their graduates to adopt a style (more so they are teaching Nine Old Men stuff because they are Disney, as I have already mentioned).

Tl;Dr: We only se bean-mouth stuff right now because it is popular, not because it was orchestrated by CalArts :lol:
Ah, I see now, I misunderstood. It's just awkward when the internet adopts a phrase like they have (seriously, I put in bean mouth and the first thing that pops up on Google is CalArts style on knowyourmeme).

To put it in a more definite term then, "bean mouth" is the art style I don't like :P

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal