collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Pony Life and G4.5  (Read 33086 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Pony: Pony Life (Announcement)
« Reply #120 on: November 15, 2019, 09:51:58 AM »
I actually would have been more fine if they were totally different characters we never saw. That way, we would maybe try to get to know them instead of seeing in horror the mane 6 we used to love becoming obnoxious maniacs with no different personality and behaviour from each other whatsoever.

Of course this is a subjective opinion  but I feel that way when watching these videos and their meth faces. I'm not too eager to watch the episodes, but I will. Maybe we'll get a good surprise from it. Wait and see, but I'm not a huge fan to begin with so I'm not too hopeful.

My Little Tweaker! You know, for kids!
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #121 on: November 15, 2019, 11:59:39 AM »
I actually would have been more fine if they were totally different characters we never saw. That way, we would maybe try to get to know them instead of seeing in horror the mane 6 we used to love becoming obnoxious maniacs with no different personality and behaviour from each other whatsoever.

Of course this is a subjective opinion  but I feel that way when watching these videos and their meth faces. I'm not too eager to watch the episodes, but I will. Maybe we'll get a good surprise from it. Wait and see, but I'm not a huge fan to begin with so I'm not too hopeful.

My Little Tweaker! You know, for kids!

I would have liked new characters too, more for the reason that I'm not sold on the M6 and esp not Pinkie and Dash. It seems redundant and lazy to recycle.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #122 on: November 15, 2019, 01:10:18 PM »
This is going to be what G2 was to G1...a mistake!

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 15, 2019, 01:21:39 PM »
This is going to be what G2 was to G1...a mistake!

Not really sure it's the same thing...I mean, we've seen so many sub generations and generations and reboots now that it's pretty much normal and par for the course. Whereas when G2 came out it was the first time it had happened and nobody really knew what to make of it...hence one part of the community had a violent backlash to it.

True, there is not much enthusiasm here, and also not much maybe over the other side, but I still think it's different from what it was like back then.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline TJgamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • An open-minded adventurer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 23, 2019, 09:46:11 PM »
My late take on this.
I'm mostly optimistic about where this will lead.
Most of the worry is that this will try too hard to be Teen Titans Go, which I'm pretty sure won't be the case. The reason why TTG has gotten a bad reputation is because A) the previous Teen Titans cartoon didn't get a complete ending like FiM has, B) its immature humor and obnoxious zaniness, and C) it oversaturated Cartoon Network's US schedule like nobody's business. I highly doubt they will give Pony Life that much attention and not for that long, unless if it somehow becomes a monster success. My best guess is that this will be only a 1 or 2 year period to hold the fans over until G5 officially comes into play.
The animation and art style doesn't bother me...
Spoiler
...too much...

...but I get the feeling it will look a little different in the actual cartoon as opposed to this promo.
I just hope that it will be a short, sweet, silly series for us to enjoy while we await 2021.
They: You're too old to watch that show!
Me: Can't hear ya, I'm asleep.

Online Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #125 on: November 24, 2019, 03:18:41 AM »
Having pondered this for a while now, I’ve unironically put Pinkie as my phone bg (the promo pic with all of them , the one with the purple background) and I’m really really hoping we’ll get the new ponies here. Still not sure I’m gonna like the show, still looks like it’s going to be obnoxious, but the style is growing on me. Just not sure I want it moving, and with sound :silly: 
I’m totally uninterested in FiM, and have like a handful of those ponies (literally. I think I have 5), but these... I actually really like them. Like for real.

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline TJgamer

• Colorswirl Pony
  • An open-minded adventurer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 24, 2019, 07:24:00 AM »
Oh yeah. The toys are...weird. But I guess I wouldn't mind having one? :lookround: The defined fetlocks do help.
Also, on the subject of bronies, they seem to be mostly mixed/neutral on the designs if this poll from EQD is of any indication.

They: You're too old to watch that show!
Me: Can't hear ya, I'm asleep.

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #127 on: November 24, 2019, 08:26:04 AM »
Just feel I ought to chime in with :sigh:

I prefer my ponies to be pastoral/magical rather than slice of life. I'm not a fan of Tales, Equestria Girls or the G3 ponyverse in general as I find these settings too suburban and mundane. From what I can see this will be of that ilk.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 08:28:01 AM by Artemesia's Garden »
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 24, 2019, 08:44:37 AM »

I prefer my ponies to be pastoral/magical rather than slice of life. I'm not a fan of Tales, Equestria Girls or the G3 ponyverse in general as I find these settings too suburban and mundane. From what I can see this will be of that ilk.

I'm okay with Slice of Life MLP... Just as long as I still feel like they're ponies in their own world. So G3 worked alright for me. But Tales? I couldn't finish. It was just a school series with the ponies slapped on top of it.

|My Collection|

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 24, 2019, 09:13:53 AM »

I'm okay with Slice of Life MLP... Just as long as I still feel like they're ponies in their own world. So G3 worked alright for me. But Tales? I couldn't finish. It was just a school series with the ponies slapped on top of it.

Tales was really weird because it was such an aprupt departure from N Friends and the fantasy adventure elements but as a cartoon back in the early 90s it oddly fit in well.
I can see why they did it. Animals living human lives is a staple of childrens AND adults entertainment. And school life is, too.
It's kinda fascinating. Kids watch kids go to school because it is relatable and one of the most kid-friendly forms of stress and conflict (bullying, bad grades, boredom, teachers you hate, chores). Adults then watch it because school life comes off as so relaxing next to work life :lol:

But I overall agree that the more pony MLP is, the more I am drawn to it. Probably because there is lots of other stuff I could follow as a Slice of Life replacement. Like the entire Disney Duck comics and most Disney Afternoon cartoons rely on an animal world where they also have adventures and magic. Almost everything deemed "furry" falls into that category, too.
If I want more adult life problems I could tune in to Bojack Horseman. If I want it to be cuter I go to Aggretsuko. If I want full on "npt for kids" rating I read Blacksad.
The market is very saturated with anthro animal stuff nowadays.

But where are the fourlegged animals living in a magic land that just happen to talk? That is a rarity. And probably harder to market, too.
As one user here perfectly explained, a lot of animal characters have predatory/primate features in cartoons so people can relate to their expressions/emotions. And the same is true for the way they walk, talk, sit, stand, live. Plop a pony on it's butt on a chair eating from a plate - instantly relatable. Have it eating grass from the ground - oh a horse, boring.

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 24, 2019, 11:05:21 AM »
Spoiler
...too much...

...but I get the feeling it will look a little different in the actual cartoon as opposed to this promo.
I just hope that it will be a short, sweet, silly series for us to enjoy while we await 2021.

Man I HOPE it looks different. The more I look at those screen shots the more horrified I am..I just don't want MLP to be...that.

I am curious why the consensus seems to be that Pony Life will be short lived and the movie will be G5. Is it because of all those leaks of the M6 in different styles from a while back? Or is it that many are HOPING that the movie will be something better? Because that's where I'm at currently. Haha. I'll gladly eat my words if PL ends up actually being good but I'm not optimistic.
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #131 on: November 24, 2019, 11:37:03 AM »

Man I HOPE it looks different. The more I look at those screen shots the more horrified I am..I just don't want MLP to be...that.

I am curious why the consensus seems to be that Pony Life will be short lived and the movie will be G5. Is it because of all those leaks of the M6 in different styles from a while back? Or is it that many are HOPING that the movie will be something better? Because that's where I'm at currently. Haha. I'll gladly eat my words if PL ends up actually being good but I'm not optimistic.
The G5 movie is slated for 2021 so the show can't be more than a year long.

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 24, 2019, 04:26:18 PM »
Spoiler
...too much...

We endured nine or so years of the FIM series, and the corrosive damage its 'mane 6' obsession did to the creativity of the toyline is probably going to be greater than whatever this turns out to be - even if it goes on a few years.

I think we're strong enough for anything Hasbro throws at us. Although the animation does look like they took the unicorn poop trope too seriously and merged the ponies with the rainbow poop to save time.

I would love to think the 'G5' thing people keep talking about was delayed because they realised retro ponies sell and thus decided to rethink some of their tunnel vision - but I suspect it's just they didn't work out how to make Pinkie's hair even more curly yet. Waiting to see how many more stereotypical girly tropes G5 can shove into an animated series, so that a whole new generation of fresh faced brony 2.0s can decry it as the most nongirly pony iteration yet. G4 set the bar quite high, but I'm sure Hasbro are up for the challenge.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 04:29:09 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Stellaluna

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 24, 2019, 05:12:27 PM »
I just saw that video and wow. That's bold of them to use the word "hell" so many times in a product for little girls. You would think they'd be more careful about backlash from parents. I know at Build-A-Bear they take out or alter anything potentially problematic in the music they play at their stores, even going so far as to change "strawberry champagne on ice" to "strawberry milkshakes on ice".

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 24, 2019, 05:14:14 PM »
How things change. Hasbro UK marketed the outfit 'sweetness and lace' here as Champagne and lace and there's a champagne bottle drawn on the card art. :)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal