collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Question about Nintendo Switch Lite Upadated I now own a full Switch Console  (Read 3931 times)

Online Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Hi,

I have a Wii U that is in really good condition and have been hesitant to buy a Nintendo Switch console just to get a newer system although I think I'd love some of the Switch games.

I've been seeing commercials for a Nintendo Switch Lite that looks like it is just the handheld part of the Switch. Is it basically like a Nintendo DS but it plays Switch games?  I might get one since I think that a completely handheld unit would be a better fit than a full Switch console right now.

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 03:55:48 AM by Ponyfan »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Nintendo Switch Lite
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 06:36:09 AM »
Yeah, it's just a Switch that is completely portable. They did warn that some games may not compatible with it ultimately, IIRC, though. Personally I just like having the hybrid console, as it really is very comfortable as a handheld (which I've played it as mostly) and leaves the options open for me.

|My Collection|

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 06:41:11 AM »
I'm considering getting one for myself, but I have to decide quick because NH comes out in March. I think I might prefer the handheld because I don't have a TV in my room.
What games, Harmonie? Is it just those that use motion controls?

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 06:45:23 AM »
I feel iffy about the Switch Lite, personally... There are more games than you’d think that are incompatible with it. :shrug: I would research all of the games you’re interested in first, and make sure they work with the Lite. Some other games can technically be played on the Lite, but are more unwieldy, or lose certain features.

Personally, I think the normal Switch is a better investment. The Lite doesn’t offer a big enough discount to justify the lost functionality, IMO.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 06:51:23 AM by Nemesis »
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Online Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 07:40:32 AM »
Thank you everyone. I didn't realize some games wouldn't work well on a Switch Lite. Games that I'm interested in right now are Luigi's mansion Mario Odyssey and a few others.

Ponyfan

Offline Ragamuffin

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 07:47:08 AM »
I only ever use my own Switch in handheld mode, so... :P

But as for Switch VS Wii U, Switch is the better pick right now. There's more games and the system is just so much faster. Going into the settings on Switch is instantaneous, everything is done quickly. Wii U on the other hand, was beginning to frustrate me after some time, it's soooooo slow! If I needed to check my internet's connection, it could take up to a full MINUTE sometimes to load into the settings menu! That's just a menu, not even a game!

For Switch vs Lite, I might go with the regular Switch, if only because of the Joy-Con issues. With the Switch, you can send your Joy-Cons to Nintendo now for a free fix... but it's not guaranteed that it will fix it permanently. You might have to send them back in the future or even buy a new pair of Joy-Cons. But at least it's just the Joy-Cons right? Lite has these same drifting issues but it's the entire system! If you start to drift your entire console is no good and I'm not sure if they're doing free repairs on Lites.

For games, I think it depends on what you play. I'm sure you can play a lot of things if you bought separate Joy-Cons. But a couple games require the Joy-Cons to play, like Mario Party, Ring Fit Adventure, and, uh... 1-2 Switch. :P There's no rumble feature in the Lite either. Mario Odyssey has a mechanic centered around using the rumble to find hidden moons... I think there's a way around this if you're using a Lite but I don't remember... Most other games don't require rumble, though.

Online Ponyfan

• View Profile
I now own a full Switch console.  :D  Does anyone have any tips?

Ponyfan

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
Sent you a PM

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline Ragamuffin

• View Profile
    • Tumblr
Depends... tips for what? :P

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
If you notice the joysticks drifting, send it in!
What games do you have so far Ponyfan?

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
Tip: play Pokemon Sword/Shield. Haha, sorry. XD I’m just really in love with those games, lol. But yes, what games do you have now? :)

All the talk about controller problems and drift has me concerned, though... I don’t think I’ve experienced any so far, but what causes it?
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
I'm not sure what causes it, frequent use? My sisters have the switch every day and they played Splatoon 2 a ton. Suddenly, it made it very hard for me to play SSBU.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
I'm not sure what causes it, frequent use? My sisters have the switch every day and they played Splatoon 2 a ton. Suddenly, it made it very hard for me to play SSBU.

Somebody took it apart and said they used a graphite contact. The graphite wears down with use and the inputs don't work well anymore. I'm not keen on getting one because of that issue. With a Switch, you at least have the benefit of buying optional controllers. What would you do with a Lite aside from send it in for repairs? And we are starting to experience the drifting and our Switch isn't even a year old.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline RoseNoire

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
I use my Switch handheld almost all the time, but I wouldn't have bought the lite if I had the occasion because I prefer leaving myself the choice to evolve my way of playing over time.
In a few years, maybe I will have my Switch docked all the time, maybe not. And if I have friends wanting to play, we have two joycons at our disposal instead of zero, since the lite's are fixed.

The complete Switch feels like a better choice in the long run to me.
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline Ragamuffin

• View Profile
    • Tumblr

Somebody took it apart and said they used a graphite contact. The graphite wears down with use and the inputs don't work well anymore. I'm not keen on getting one because of that issue. With a Switch, you at least have the benefit of buying optional controllers. What would you do with a Lite aside from send it in for repairs? And we are starting to experience the drifting and our Switch isn't even a year old.

There's a lawsuit or whatever going on (I don't know the terms haha) over this, and the document said that exactly is going on with the Joy-Cons. Something is being rubbed off which causes it to drift in-game. It's not just "frequent use", it all depends on if you're lucky or not; some people have opened a fresh box and they started drifting almost immediately. It's a huge design flaw and Nintendo has done nothing about it. They don't even mention it outright anywhere or acknowledge that there's some sort of problem. They just offer repair services for Joy-Cons for free.

I've been lucky... I've had no issues with my controllers, but I prevent myself from buying any more because I don't want to spend $80 on new colours just for the drifting issue to happen shortly after.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal