collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Pony Hairstyles and Haircuts  (Read 2149 times)

Offline StayGoldPonyboy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
Pony Hairstyles and Haircuts
« on: November 08, 2019, 06:34:40 PM »
Is it like a crime in the community to cut a pony’s hair? Like a g3 or g4, never a g1-2. I bought a g1 with a haircut from a kid long ago presumably and I’ve seen a few g3s with haircuts and they look really good on some of them?

I wish pony hair was more diverse in length and texture instead of just in color. There’s only so many hairstyles you can manage with the same length ya know? And it gives them more personality! But I’ve also never cared about having a flawless MIB/MOC collection or anything, the very concept of keeping them sealed away saddens me.

Anyways I’d just like to hear people (respectfully) talk about it and what the various opinions are in the community! Please don’t attack me lmao

Offline caseysealia

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Pony Hairstyles and Haircuts
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 07:14:10 PM »
I think its fine. Its your pony, after all.

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 07:36:56 PM »
It's common to cut and style G4 hair to be "show accurate". Other than that I don't think most people cut hair on purpose, unless it's an all new re-root and you want a pony with a mohawk or something.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline cloud_weaver

• Trade Count: (+126)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 10:26:26 PM »
It's common to cut and style G4 hair to be "show accurate". Other than that I don't think most people cut hair on purpose, unless it's an all new re-root and you want a pony with a mohawk or something.

This pretty much.

As a collector, I cringe at hair cuts. :(  I will not buy ponies for my personal collection if they have haircuts.  I remember when a lot of newer G4 collectors would cut the ponies hair to be “show accurate”.  I won’t lie, it somewhat ate at me. :blush:  If it’s your pony, great! :) but be aware that others will most likely not purchase at full price, as a hair cut deeply disvalues a pony.

Thank you LunaCat for my Kirin Cloud Weaver!
Cloudie’s Wish List
- http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,396949
Cloudie’s TRADE List
- http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,396962

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 11:37:05 PM »
I’m bad, I cut my G4’s hair often to be more show accurate. I only regret that I’m not better at cutting hair. ;) Since the mane 6 are sickeningly common I really don’t see any harm in it. It’s not like they’ll probably ever be worth much unless they’re some sort of special release.

Other than that I don’t really cut my ponies hair. I don’t mind buying ponies with haircuts though, if they’re fairly even sometimes I even prefer them! I agree that varying lengths can give a pony much more personality.

If it’s a common pony for your own personal collection you should do what you want. I’m also a very non picky collector and like my ponies a little loved. I can see why collectors who prefer near mint ponies would cringe at the thought! :P

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2019, 12:11:38 AM »
I restyled my g4 hair but as said they are really common. I don't cut g1 hair but I buy ponies with haircuts and reroot them, which might be considered a 'sin' by itself but I don't really care. They are my ponies after all.
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline Shaz

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2019, 01:32:47 AM »
I have bought many ponies with haircuts and either rehaired them (if it looks awful) or left it (if it looks good). I once bought a Pretty Beat with an amazing mohican!

I don't generally cut pony hair (unless I'm preparing to rehair). I do have a second-hand G4 Rainbow Dash who for some reason had part of her mane cut really short and part of it left long. It looked silly, so I trimmed the whole thing to the same length. I might rehair her later on.

Offline SunbeamV

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2019, 03:11:21 AM »
I wouldn't cut a pony's hair myself (except for making a preexisting trim look better), but I do like the character it adds when ponies with haircuts come my way! I think it makes them more unique and interesting. My g1 Salty who came to me with a haircut that I styled into an adorable choppy punk rock look is honestly one of my fave ponies in my collection  :biggrin:

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2019, 04:56:36 AM »
I wouldn't intentionally cut it but I don't mind them. Your pony and all but I tend to look for ponies with hair that's already damaged if I want to alter it, and if you don't mind shorter hair you will end up saving money by seeking out the less than mint ponies.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline FlickaFriend

• Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2019, 06:10:27 AM »
I wouldn't cut a pony's hair myself (except for making a preexisting trim look better), but I do like the character it adds when ponies with haircuts come my way! I think it makes them more unique and interesting. My g1 Salty who came to me with a haircut that I styled into an adorable choppy punk rock look is honestly one of my fave ponies in my collection  :biggrin:

I am exactly the same. I could NEVER cut a pony's hair myself, not even G4.  However I have a G1 Applejack who came to me with a trimmed forelock and tail, and I love her.  She looks so cute and I love thinking about her history and who might have cut her hair and why, and the child who would have played with her.  Her tail hasn't been cut too short, it's just ankle-length on her, with a curl, and it's kind of slightly layered, and it makes it more bouncey, almost like the tail carriage of an Arabian horse.

I have some G4 Pinkie Pies that I have curled their hair to make them more show-accurate, but could not cut them.
Keeping on cantering on.

Offline poniesthatsparkle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • TAF Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2019, 06:37:54 AM »
Personally, I'm against cutting hair. I'd never do it intentionally unless it was a rehair. Just doing damage to a pony that's perfectly fine doesn't sit right with me. The only time I own ponies with haircuts is when I obtain them like that.

If you like cutting pony hair, go for it! Just keep in mind that it will decrease the value if you ever decide to sell the pony. I'd only cut hair on already damaged ponies or ones that you intend to keep.

Offline RoseNoire

• Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2019, 02:01:18 PM »
I won't intentionnally cut a pony's hair if it is intact.

Though I am fine if I purchase an already cut pony and it looks fine that way, or I could possibly adjust an uneven cut to make it look more appealing and I would cut a pony's hair the way I want if it were a reroot.  I usually prefer it long anyway.
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline starrynights

• Takara Fakie
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Tinsel Enthusiast, Fakie Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2019, 02:22:17 PM »
I don't see a problem with cutting a ponies hair as long as it isn't a rare one. Most ponies have the same haircut, I like variety.

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2019, 03:39:08 PM »
I would never unless it was already cut - in my eyes, that would be intentionally damaging a pony. While it does create variation, I feel there's a lot of other things you can do to a pony's hair to make it different like accessories, curls, braiding, etc. Some ponies do rock shorter hair though!

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2019, 03:51:15 PM »
Like other people have said, I don't do it. If a pony has an uneven cut already done by some kid I may consider trying to make it even, but that's about it.

I mean, I trim individual strands that are too long compared to the pony's intended length, but that doesn't really count. But individual hair strands being too long is a big pet peeve of mine on ponies. :lol:

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal