collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

What on EARTH are the new ponies called?

Just plain ol' G4
3 (9.1%)
G4.5, the 'reboot' is just 'reboot'
9 (27.3%)
G4.75, the 'reboot' is G4.5
9 (27.3%)
Ugly Demons
10 (30.3%)
Other idea
2 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: G4 Pony Classification?  (Read 1904 times)

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: G4 Pony Classification?
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2019, 07:57:14 AM »
I think these and the 2016 retooling should all be G4 it's just not a big enough design change to warrant a half generation; size and proportions are the same etc. However I see these new demons as closer to G4.5 than the 2016 designs.

The difference from G3 to G3.5 is huge, and the reasoning between calling it G3.5  not G4 was because it was the same characters right? Well that's not going to ever change now, Hasbro finally has an optimist prime and a bumblebee of MLP so I doubt we'll ever see anything besides the M6 in different art styles again.

It might be hard to make stick but a numbering system for each retooling sounds the best for organizing as mentioned above
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: G4 Pony Classification?
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2019, 04:46:29 PM »

I think I'm in favour of calling these G4.75 or something like that. Or maybe we could go for something like G4, G4.2 (Movie/reboot/whatever), G4.3 (these)? Or is that too confusing.

The difference from G3 to G3.5 is huge, and the reasoning between calling it G3.5  not G4 was because it was the same characters right? Well that's not going to ever change now, Hasbro finally has an optimist prime and a bumblebee of MLP so I doubt we'll ever see anything besides the M6 in different art styles again.

I remember advocating the G4.1, G4.2, etc. system back when we were discussing what to call the last reboot for these exact reasons.   It doesn’t look likely that we will ever have clearly defined generational separation again  in the same we we had for G1-G3.   If we skip immediately to the half generation for the first reboot then it gets really complicated naming any future reboots that we don’t want to label G5.  Which is exactly what seems to be happening.  At least with the .1, .2 designations then we have at least 9 numbers to play with before getting into the double decimal point designations.  And surely by then we will reach something that the majority of people can agree to call G5.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal