collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: New G4 pony toy designs  (Read 29689 times)

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: New G4 pony toy designs
« Reply #180 on: November 08, 2019, 06:31:33 AM »
The movie has a September 24 2021 release date, so take that as you will for the relationship to the toys.

Interesting! That's still a long time for me. I wonder when we'll see the first official movie designs.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 08, 2019, 07:28:28 AM »
There is no way what we call G3.5 was in development after or alongside G4. Think about it... why would they make an extra reboot just to "ease" kids into the G4 style. It was simply a decision to chibify the G3s because that look was already in back then.
Hasbro experienced success with their LPS reboot so why not make ponies look that way. G3 had been on shelves for a while, the Core 7 thing was taking off... all of that was planned years before G4 was being planned.

G4 would have probably gotten replaced by G5 way sooner if it hadn't become some sort of viral sensation. And these redesigns must have been in development for longer as well.

Or it might not have. Big sparkly eyed balloon head things are unfortunately popular and refuse to go away. And I do concede to your earlier point btw, I'm just tired and cranky and Faust irks me for chucking girls toons under the bus to curry favor with a trolly fanbase, for her impo awful style, and because I'm petty and am blaming her for much of the ills of modern mlp.
Actually, it's Meghan McCarthy and Josh Haber you can blame for the brony pandering in FiM.  Fasut was long gone by the time the show started to really twist it to appeal more to them specifically.

I'm talking about how she said "That girl's cartoons and past iterations of MLP were only about tea parties, crying and laughing at nothing."

Anyone who has ever watched shows like MLP and Friends, She-Ra, Care Bears, Sailor Moon, Rainbowbrite or Jem knows this is a steaming load.

Even the suburbanite Tales had feisty characters.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 09:36:02 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 08, 2019, 08:44:44 AM »
I'm talking about how she said "That girl's cartoons and past iterations of MLP were only about tea parties, crying and laughing at nothing."

Anyone who has ever watched shows like MLP and Friends, She-Ra, Care Bears, Sailor Moon, Rainbowbrite or Jem knows this is a steaming load.

That's probably what irks me the most about this person. I don't even blame her that much for the direction she put MLP into since it was still mostly Hasbro's decision, and she probably had no idea what kind of monster she was about to unleash at the time. But I can't stand how she likes to think of herself as some sort of savior of girls' animation, it's so disrespectul to all those writers who came before her.

I don't remember where exactly I saw it, but someone posted something like this some time in early 2011:

80s ponies: *fought demons, monsters and all kinds of ancient evils*
Lauren Faust: "I will show you that cartoons for girls don't have to be lame! Here are three ponies bickering at a slumber party!"
Inka Dinka Doo
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Ragamuffin

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #183 on: November 08, 2019, 08:49:09 AM »
Lauren Faust: "I will show you that cartoons for girls don't have to be lame! Here are three ponies bickering at a slumber party!"

That's exactly how it is. :lmao: The first season of FiM was extremely slice-of-life, while the ponies in MLP 'n Friends all had to deal with things that wanted to enslave or kill them every episode...

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 08, 2019, 10:45:12 AM »

That's exactly how it is. :lmao: The first season of FiM was extremely slice-of-life, while the ponies in MLP 'n Friends all had to deal with things that wanted to enslave or kill them every episode...

MLP 'n Friends had so much slavery. I am not saying an adventure cartoon needs these stakes to be enjoyable but damn, the ponies were in near constant fear of getting enslaved, taken advantage of, kidnapped... and when that wasn't happening they tried to help other species dealing with these issues. Wasn't there also an episode where some penguin lord was trying to create a second ice age? And the dude froze his own son! Elsa, who?! XD
G1 ponies went through a lot, haha! That's why I always whine about wanting more fantasy adventures in MLP again. We've had an abudance of SoL for at least 25 years. Could we maybe flip the script a little and make it at least 50/50 again?

In one episode: I worry about what my friends might think of me
Next episode: These trolls are trying to flood a village :P

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 08, 2019, 10:57:36 AM »
It was weird and wishful thinking, but last night I had a dream about next gen mlp being all pony looking with great animation and balanced toys.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 08, 2019, 03:57:01 PM »
There is no way what we call G3.5 was in development after or alongside G4. Think about it... why would they make an extra reboot just to "ease" kids into the G4 style. It was simply a decision to chibify the G3s because that look was already in back then.
Hasbro experienced success with their LPS reboot so why not make ponies look that way. G3 had been on shelves for a while, the Core 7 thing was taking off... all of that was planned years before G4 was being planned.

G4 would have probably gotten replaced by G5 way sooner if it hadn't become some sort of viral sensation. And these redesigns must have been in development for longer as well.

Or it might not have. Big sparkly eyed balloon head things are unfortunately popular and refuse to go away. And I do concede to your earlier point btw, I'm just tired and cranky and Faust irks me for chucking girls toons under the bus to curry favor with a trolly fanbase, for her impo awful style, and because I'm petty and am blaming her for much of the ills of modern mlp.
Actually, it's Meghan McCarthy and Josh Haber you can blame for the brony pandering in FiM.  Fasut was long gone by the time the show started to really twist it to appeal more to them specifically.

I think she was comparing it to the G3 cartoon since that was what was currently airing at the time Lauren made her pitch.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline PinkieLopBun

• Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 09, 2019, 04:16:52 AM »
More info on the line, which is called Reveal the Magic:
https://www.mlpmerch.com/2019/11/my-little-pony-2020-line-is-called.html
Follow me on Twitter and Tumblr.

Offline U2QueenBee

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 09, 2019, 04:26:51 AM »
Well, hrm...the bodies are ok but I don't care for the heads at all. The muzzles/noses look awfully small compared to the heads and ears, and somehow not in a cute way. I don't care for the turned-up looking noses or the expressions. Fluttershy is the best of the three, but none of them really gives off the look of the show designs at all. Pinkie Pie's eyes are slightly terrifying from the front, and Rarity looks something between vapid and smug, to me, and nothing like herself. It's a no from me.

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 09, 2019, 04:47:06 AM »

I have to say I do like the trotting pose and the eye colors (that bit of blue AJ has in her eye is a nice touch, imo). But I can't deal with the lack of jaw. Profile makes them look like they come straight out of a horror movie.

Potion Nova looks like Rarity. Eyes look like stickers (hopefully just a prototype thing).Those seamlines tell me they are going to be hard plastic, so that's a hard pass for me.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 04:54:19 AM by Zapper »

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 09, 2019, 06:33:47 AM »

I think she was comparing it to the G3 cartoon since that was what was currently airing at the time Lauren made her pitch.
If she said that (I can't remember if I confirmed the true meaning of the one time I saw her say this) she'd be wrong here as well (unless she meant G3.5, but I could be wrong about that one - need to check) G3 definitely wasn't full of tea parties and giggling and crying over nothing.

I do respect Lauren as a person and writer, but she's allowed to be wrong.  If she genuinely thinks that girl's shows (regardless of whether she's including past My Little Pony in this or not) are like this, it's likely because she didn't watch them.  She probably heard they were like that, or saw a few that were like that, and gave up.  Not professional to state this as fact, but yeah... people get/remember things wrong.

I feel I already posted something like this, so sorry if it's a repeat.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 09, 2019, 07:07:43 AM »

If she said that (I can't remember if I confirmed the true meaning of the one time I saw her say this) she'd be wrong here as well (unless she meant G3.5, but I could be wrong about that one - need to check) G3 definitely wasn't full of tea parties and giggling and crying over nothing.

I do respect Lauren as a person and writer, but she's allowed to be wrong.  If she genuinely thinks that girl's shows (regardless of whether she's including past My Little Pony in this or not) are like this, it's likely because she didn't watch them.  She probably heard they were like that, or saw a few that were like that, and gave up.  Not professional to state this as fact, but yeah... people get/remember things wrong.

I feel I already posted something like this, so sorry if it's a repeat.

It was an outright lie and I hate to be that person but Girls properties get enough flak, her lying butt didn't need to add to it. If she hadn't watched them then she shoulda kept her big fat flap shut.

Post Merge: November 09, 2019, 07:09:09 AM

I have to say I do like the trotting pose and the eye colors (that bit of blue AJ has in her eye is a nice touch, imo). But I can't deal with the lack of jaw. Profile makes them look like they come straight out of a horror movie.

Potion Nova looks like Rarity. Eyes look like stickers (hopefully just a prototype thing).Those seamlines tell me they are going to be hard plastic, so that's a hard pass for me.

Its a shame Potion Nova is on that dreadful mould. Her theme is great!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 07:09:52 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #192 on: November 09, 2019, 07:12:14 AM »

First off, who is Nova????
Second, still don't like the heads and the muzzles look weird without the proper chin
Third, I'm not a fan of the new pose... it's that front bent leg that bothers me XD

Other than that, if Nova wasn't in this line I think I'd like her better
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 09, 2019, 07:26:06 AM »

First off, who is Nova????
Second, still don't like the heads and the muzzles look weird without the proper chin
Third, I'm not a fan of the new pose... it's that front bent leg that bothers me XD

Other than that, if Nova wasn't in this line I think I'd like her better

Idk, but her colors sure are pretty. I'd like a cross gen custom of her.

Post Merge: November 09, 2019, 07:29:08 AM

Not quite, her hair is lavender, pink and blue. Reminds me of a G3.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 07:29:08 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline Lilja

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 09, 2019, 07:33:00 AM »
It was an outright lie and I hate to be that person but Girls properties get enough flak, her lying butt didn't need to add to it. If she hadn't watched them then she shoulda kept her big fat flap shut.

I'm like 99.9% sure Lauren is not out to bash girls' cartoons as a whole. As I understand it her point was that there are generally less stakes in girls' cartoons, as well as less care, effort and funding put into them. This holds true (we just discussed the same thing in regards to toys), and a handful of well-made girls' cartoons existing does not disprove a general trend. Lauren's worked within the industry too, so she should know a bit about the discussions that lead to certain cartoons being greenlit or dismissed. Maybe she didn't choose her words too carefully, but I find it better to be charitable than to interpret her words in the worst way possible.

Very cool! I'm still not so sold on the faces, but their eyes are really nice. Bodies are ok, but not very interesting in any way except for the hooves. Hope there'll be more than two poses.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 07:35:28 AM by Lilja »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal