collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What do you do when you've almost completed your collection?  (Read 2172 times)

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
What do you do when you've almost completed your collection?
« on: October 30, 2019, 08:37:07 PM »
 . . . or, "first world pony problems." I've been collecting for about 20 years now, or longer depending on when you start counting, and that's given me time to have nearly completed my collection. It makes me very happy to look at my display case and to remember the stories of finding each one, and how nice it is to have certain ponies after wanting them for years. I love them and feel really lucky to have the ponies I do.

The problem is (and I know this sounds really spoiled), pretty soon, there won't be any ponies left that I want. I enjoy buying HQGIC ponies and other customs, so there is that. But as far as original G1 Hasbro ponies, my pony wish list is down to about 10 ponies (!) and some animals/accessories (mostly the princess dragons). If I can actually find those last ponies, I will technically stop collecting, which is really weird for me after collecting most of my life!

I can't really complain, but I feel a little sad about it, and directionless? (lol, this is why I said this is a first world pony problem). I know there must be other collectors on here in the same boat or similar boats. What did you do when you completed your collection?

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: What do you do when you've almost completed your collection?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 09:00:08 PM »
I've finished several of my model horse lines. I just enjoy them really. Photography, picking them up and looking at them. That sort of thing.

I've finished what I want of my Skylander line too. I still play.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 10:54:13 PM »
Time to collect another toy line? lol! I finished my care bear plush collection other than a few really expensive bears that I probably won't ever be able to afford. I really enjoy seeing them on display, they bring me so much happiness. Originally I collected Care Bears, My Little Pony and Rainbow Brite (RB is pretty much complete too) and now I'm collecting a ton of different toy lines. And I go through phases of several months with nothing new. So I don't have a complete answer since I've always found something new to collect but I think enjoying them on display, have spa days, rearrange them, take photos , etc would be nice. You can look for accessories but take it slow so it's drawn out. Collect something new or start a new hobby. For example my toy room is also my sewing room so I can enjoy them while I'm sewing. I honestly can't imagine stopping collecting completely.

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 12:54:32 AM »
I would not stop collecting completely. I collect dolls, lps, some other thinmgs and ponies. Maybe start on a new gen? or start customzizing baits? Now I'm wondering who you are missing still.
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline TornadoLovesMelody

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+69)
    • View Profile
    • My Sales Album (not updated)
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 04:40:29 AM »
There's always the nirvana ponies... :P

Really though, I don't know and I have no real advice to give.

Personally I doubt I will ever be "done".
I miss about 35 ponies (dream beauties + Molly included), I have every other pony/friend/meghan on the list.
But my goal is to find my childhood ponies MIP - so that gives me "time" since I won't be able to afford them for quite some time.
I've often thought to myself that once I have my collection complete (all the standard non-nirvana EU+US releases) I will enjoy them for a while. And then maybe just keep favorites and sell off in order to save up for the childhood ponies mip.

I know the "first world pony problems" all too well :P Mostly expensive ones left on my list now :/

Personally, however, you are very welcome to post pictures of your complete collection.. any time. I love seeing ponies and especially huge collections and complete sets xD
Haha!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2019, 05:24:24 AM »
Maybe in the future you'll want to start collecting other generations too? :lol: I'm a sucker for all ponies, so I think I'll never be done collecting!

I started off primarily with just G3 ponies, but after I got most of the common ones, I started to collect G1 as well. Then I found a G2 in a thrift store and decided they were kind of pretty too, and now ALSO collect them! :P

Or, if you want to ease off buying, I always enjoy giving my existing herd spa days and taking pictures of them! Sometimes when they're all up on a shelf together its easy to forget how much you like one individual pony, or even just notice a detail on a pony you usually overlook that makes you like them just a little more! :)

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Offline Barnacle_lady

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 05:43:20 AM »
Most of the time if I don't see new ponies I am looking for upgrades. And I think there are always ponies/merch to collect :)

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2019, 06:17:48 AM »
I am nowhere near complete but my year 2 earth+uni+pegs are complete, aka the ones that are EVERYWHERE, so I still enjoy hunting for ones that are upgrades, or buying lots to resell!
I think customizing would be my next natural step. Or you could always purge and start again.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2019, 07:15:21 AM »
I buy cheap ponies at thrift stores (mostly G3s), clean them up, and sell them on eBay.  It brings in a modest amount of extra money, which is nice, but mostly I do it just because I like hunting for and fixing up ponies.  :)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2019, 08:41:34 AM »
Im not done yet i still have European ponies and some mail orders. I have sea ponies left. So im not done by a long shot. As for the newer lines im not sure i want to collect them i like them gs3 or g4s. I probably just keep to my want list. Im still up for trading for them.  However I really like my older g1 ponies a little better.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 08:46:15 AM by SkyCakes »

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2019, 09:31:05 AM »
Same boat; everything I need now is $75+ value per pony. It's not fun, this literally means it will probably take me another 10 years to actually maybe complete a full US collection including those HTF mail orders. To fill the void for the HTF's I'm starting to make customs of them... I've got Punzie made and pink Sprinkles is almost done. For me, it helps having a placeholder.

I met my initial collecting goal middle of last year; I wanted all US store ponies (not counting sea ponies, petites). Not an accessory collector, I just have to have the pony in any condition.

Agreed with what others have said:
Maybe look at upgrading some ponies that are in poorer condition?
Move on to select merchandise?
Customs maybe to complete mommy/baby sets?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 09:32:46 AM by mlp4me »

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Ragamuffin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2019, 11:09:15 AM »
I've been feeling this way lately, too. I don't have a lot of room for any more ponies, but there's also not a whole lot that I want left. I got most of the G3s I really really wanted, I got my most wanted G2 (Puff!), there aren't any G1s that I want right now (except Tutti Frutti and Katie), and G4 is... well. You know G4. But because there's no ponies even at the stores, there's not a whole lot going on for me. Which is part of the reason why I started collecting Sylvanians (but only the cats!). I have a couple of Care Bear figures too but I don't think I'll be getting into those more since my faves are all crazy expensive.

Lately I've been looking at G3 ornaments... so cute... I don't have any place to put them but they'd be nice to have...

I have a weakness for merch like that, and especially things like books and Valentines because I love looking at the art! I'd recommend collecting merchandise if you don't mind setting up a spot for it. :P

I'm trying to get all the MLP video games as well. I only have 3 right now, but that's just about halfway there. :lol:

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2019, 02:19:41 PM »
So long as there are still backcards and leaflets, I am still happy.

Also variations, small variations in release or whatever...I pick them up too.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Sukey

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2019, 10:00:12 PM »
I’ve been collecting multiple toy lines for a little over 20 years. I have mostly completed what I was looking for, except for ponies. Most of my other collections are near complete. I don’t intend to continue collecting once my collection is complete.

A Furrever Friends Site

*** Looking for a Glory tin- I have a Starshine tin for trade ***

Offline plushroo

• Trade Count: (+252)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • princess Cotton Candy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2019, 05:32:59 AM »
Other than a few G3 and G2's and G4's, I'm almost complete with what I'm looking for. I still have 30 foreign ponies I need to find, but until I get another job, those will have to wait. Right now, I'm content with what all I've gotten and in the process of cleaning, displaying my collection so I can look at them and feel good about what I've accomplished because they make me happy.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal