collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Scented ponies: no yellowing please!  (Read 3159 times)

Offline Cristar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
Scented ponies: no yellowing please!
« on: October 28, 2019, 12:32:38 PM »
Hello everyone! I've bought the beautiful retro rainbow ponies gift set released by Basic Fun. It's one of the few products of this series that are available on Amazon in my country...

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The pack is not arrived yet, and I'm hoping I'll get the unscented version. In fact, I’ve read that lately someone surprisingly has got the unscented version of this gift set. But I’ve never seen a pic of this box without the “Scented Ponies!” wording... I know scented ponies (and these releases in particular) are very prone to yellowing, so, if I'll get the scented version, I want to avoid yellowing in these new ones.
Is it useful to keep them out of the box? Perhaps, in contact with air, some chemical components evaporate and the danger is averted. Maybe it’s better than keeping them sealed in plastic.
It would be very sad to see them, after some months, with yellow heads or stains on their body... :sad:
Does anyone have any advice?  :(

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Scented ponies: no yellowing please!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 01:14:36 PM »
My unprofessional and maybe bad for the pony suggestion:
When I got the scented rainbows, I was fatigued and lazy and I just slapped them on my desk. I'll shelve them later, I said. My desk had the AC in and they were there for at least a week.
When I went to shelve them, I went to sniff Moonstone (THE BEST scent and I will stand by this) and I found that her scent had pretty much faded. I haven't seen any pony discolor or otherwise become damaged since.
Perhaps some sort of cold would help to remove the scent? I guess you could leave them in a car for a bit if it's cold over there and see if it sucks the scent out.
If you don't want to risk that stuff then you will want to de-box them if you are very worried about the scents discoloring them. It will be much better for them to be out in the open than it would in the box.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline caseysealia

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 01:17:38 PM »
When I got the scented rainbows, I was fatigued and lazy and I just slapped them on my desk. I'll shelve them later, I said. My desk had the AC in and they were there for at least a week.
When I went to shelve them, I went to sniff Moonstone (THE BEST scent and I will stand by this) and I found that her scent had pretty much faded. I haven't seen any pony discolor or otherwise become damaged since.
Perhaps some sort of cold would help to remove the scent? I guess you could leave them in a car for a bit if it's cold over there and see if it sucks the scent out.
If you don't want to risk that stuff then you will want to de-box them if you are very worried about the scents discoloring them. It will be much better for them to be out in the open than it would in the box.
This sounds  like a good idea if you ask me.

Offline Cristar

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 02:33:03 PM »

Wow! So you never removed them from the boxes?

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 02:36:45 PM »
Never removed 'em!
I think I will remove the five pack ponies from their box because of space but also because I fear for how the scents will react all together like that.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Cristar

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2019, 02:40:27 PM »
 Ok, Thanks!   :)

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2019, 06:47:03 PM »
When I got my set they had no issues! Now two of them have yellow staining going on. They were even hidden away from sun light :( These are the singles that are scented!

Offline Wind~Whistler

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • You got a twinkle in your eyes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2019, 06:48:32 PM »
It happened to me too! I ordered what the seller sold as the “scented” set, but got surprised when the unscented set got here instead!

I do think that tailrusted’s suggestion may work, since our pony room’s been cold lately, and I can barely smell the artificial scent (it’s only noticeable when you really hold them real close)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 06:51:05 PM by Wind~Whistler »
AKA Wind~Whistler on the TP 

http://www.ponylandtours.com
Thanks to Philly for my avi!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2019, 08:38:57 PM »
I don't think the smell fading will save them from discoloration . . . What makes them discolor is whatever oil or product is put on their bodies (or possibly melted directly into their plastic).

But anyway, not all the scented ones discolor . . . I have a bunch of them because I bought extras of some (I wanted them both in and out of packaging) and out of all of them, only one (a Parasol) has discolored.  And not even very much, just a little around her neck.  And my other Parasol is fine.

The one who discolored is in her package, but others I have that are in their packages haven't discolored soooo . . . *shrug*

A lot of pony problems are related to heat, like age spots, so I would keep them out of heat in case that's a factor.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2019, 10:00:55 AM »
Its kinda sad that hasbro made ponies that could last decades and basic fun ponies can get ruined within months... Anyway I have no experience with basic fun ponies as I dont intend to collect them. Just keep your ponies dry and cool.
Lover of Windwhistler

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2019, 10:33:10 AM »
Its kinda sad that hasbro made ponies that could last decades and basic fun ponies can get ruined within months... Anyway I have no experience with basic fun ponies as I dont intend to collect them. Just keep your ponies dry and cool.
I'm going to defend BF because this was something pushed on them by retailers. It sounded like an "I will only buy it if X". Hasbro has done the same thing in the past and it's also lead to discoloration, and it's not like the year 3 rainbows fair any better than their scented friends from a few years later.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Cristar

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2019, 01:53:33 PM »
Updating:
Ponies are arrived today! And yes, it's the scented version!  :P
They are all  B - E - A - U - T - I - F - U - L !!!  :inlove: although, some of their scents are... ehm... weird!  :| But they aren't too strong (two of them have very light scent) and, anyway, I like they are scented. I immediately removed them from the box and now I'm keeping them out in the open, on my shelves, in order to avoid yellowing... For now they are in perfect condition! At the opposite, one of the collector ponies arrived with them, is discolored!!  :shocked: So, this issue doesn't regard just scented ponies... I received a Blossom with yellowed head and now I'm returning her in order to get a new one in replacement.

It happened to me too! I ordered what the seller sold as the “scented” set, but got surprised when the unscented set got here instead!

I do think that tailrusted’s suggestion may work, since our pony room’s been cold lately, and I can barely smell the artificial scent (it’s only noticeable when you really hold them real close)

Thanks for posting this!! So, an unscented version of this gift set DO exist!!! I suppose yo've been lucky!  :P

I don't think the smell fading will save them from discoloration . . . What makes them discolor is whatever oil or product is put on their bodies (or possibly melted directly into their plastic).

But anyway, not all the scented ones discolor . . . I have a bunch of them because I bought extras of some (I wanted them both in and out of packaging) and out of all of them, only one (a Parasol) has discolored.  And not even very much, just a little around her neck.  And my other Parasol is fine.

The one who discolored is in her package, but others I have that are in their packages haven't discolored soooo . . . *shrug*

A lot of pony problems are related to heat, like age spots, so I would keep them out of heat in case that's a factor.

So ... from now on, let's put all ponies in the fridge!!  :lol:

Your comments reassure me... I realized the discoloration it's not so probable...  :whew:

« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 02:42:05 AM by Cristar »

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2019, 02:06:49 PM »
Ponies in the fridge...the microwave...on toast with supper...

Ahem sorry.

I have some of the scented rainbows (three loose, I think, and one in box (windy). I haven't noticed any issues on them as yet but I haven't been looking that hard. I do think they tend to do better out of box though.

ALSO I noticed that the ones in JL I saw (in the English only boxes) did sometimes have discoloration, but the ones I had from the online store (in French/English package) didn't discolour.

But that is only to date. I have Parasol, Moonstone and Windy loose.

The unscented ones never came to the UK.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2019, 01:32:24 AM »
I'm going to defend BF because this was something pushed on them by retailers. It sounded like an "I will only buy it if X". Hasbro has done the same thing in the past and it's also lead to discoloration, and it's not like the year 3 rainbows fair any better than their scented friends from a few years later.

Really? I didn't know. that just seems like a poor marketing decision tbh.
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2019, 12:45:50 PM »
I checked my Ollie's store today.  They had almost 20 of these, all the scented ones.  And sadly, every single Moonstone was that ugly grey-blue, so I had to pass.  Wish some those had been unscented.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal