collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Once and for all....Does pony cancer spread?  (Read 935 times)

Offline caseysealia

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
Once and for all....Does pony cancer spread?
« on: October 27, 2019, 09:08:38 AM »
Title...Does it? I've heard in bad conditions, (humidity, climate ect.) that it can, but just in general? Is there anything that spreads? What about the highlighter marks? Plasticizer?  I'm thinking of moving some of my beautiful-yet-with-issues ponies upstairs with my main collection but I don't want to if there's the risk of destroying my whole collection. Most of my g1s and some g3s have been boiled, bleached or soaked in peroxide to "prevent" further issues throughout the years, so that being said, is it an issue I should be worrying about?  :lookround: They're just sitting in my basement which can't be good for them....
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 09:44:10 AM by caseysealia »

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
Re: Once and for all....Does pony cancer spread?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 09:49:55 AM »
The short answer is, we don't know. It depends what's causing it. I have had a conversation with a museum conservator who said that offgassing of one item may cause another to degrade. I wish I could tell you whether that relates to PVC items or not. I also found this article on micro-organisms. I think ideally we keep them seperate and well ventilated in stable temp and humidity. Unfortunately for my other half they just end up all around the house!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2227722/
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 09:51:38 AM by Artemesia's Garden »
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline caseysealia

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 09:59:00 AM »
The short answer is, we don't know. It depends what's causing it. I have had a conversation with a museum conservator who said that offgassing of one item may cause another to degrade. I wish I could tell you whether that relates to PVC items or not. I also found this article on micro-organisms. I think ideally we keep them seperate and well ventilated in stable temp and humidity. Unfortunately for my other half they just end up all around the house!

That's how mine is too. (except for a few rare ones that I want with my main collection, such as Tux n Tails) Very disappointing!

Post Merge: October 27, 2019, 11:20:44 AM

So
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 11:20:44 AM by caseysealia »

Offline SunbeamV

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2019, 11:43:26 AM »

interesting link! I've chatted with the staff of a toy museum very briefly regarding ponies specifically and it seems like plasticizer leakage/stickiness is contagious. Prolonged physical contact (ie being on display and touching another pony for weeks/months) seems to set off the chemical reaction in the unaffected ones. I've been playing it safe and have a quaratine shelf in my g1 cabinet, though some of my childhood g3s and even a prematurely melting g4 have had to get moved in there too which kinda sucks :(

Offline caseysealia

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2019, 01:01:09 PM »

interesting link! I've chatted with the staff of a toy museum very briefly regarding ponies specifically and it seems like plasticizer leakage/stickiness is contagious. Prolonged physical contact (ie being on display and touching another pony for weeks/months) seems to set off the chemical reaction in the unaffected ones. I've been playing it safe and have a quaratine shelf in my g1 cabinet, though some of my childhood g3s and even a prematurely melting g4 have had to get moved in there too which kinda sucks :(
as far as I know, only one has leakage, a g3 who as pulled from box. she was put downstairs right away though. None of my ponies touch.

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2019, 01:25:55 PM »
Plasticizer leakage can cause a chain reaction, as mentioned above. The off gassing can trigger the process in others that are already on the cusp. But if you keep things well ventilated you'll be fine. The worse thing for plasticizer leak is storage in another plastic. So keep your ponies out of baggies and bins.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal