collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Tell me about the Holly Blue prototype  (Read 2355 times)

Offline faespirit

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • Will there be exciting sights to see...
    • View Profile
Tell me about the Holly Blue prototype
« on: October 25, 2019, 08:32:01 PM »
I'm always asking questions about prototypes and what not cause I think that they're p neat. This one in particular I heard was an exclusive once at ponycon... Holly Blue?what was that about??
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ukVtjuWt5ss/UDM3dD8sGiI/AAAAAAAACGc/wAi-0n56Z9A/s640/trixshy.jpg

Offline Spectrum

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • no bass in the jazz room
    • View Profile
Re: Tell me about the Holly Blue prototype
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 09:07:56 PM »
It wasn't really an exclusive, I don't think. I think Ponycon just bought a bunch of them and sold them as that year's pony. I hesitate to call a lot of these mish-mash ponies prototypes. I think a lot of them, with a few exceptions like Sweetie Blue, are just someone who got happy with the stamp tool at the factory because they know they'll sell.

Honestly I think it's really sad that neither the MLP Fair nor Ponycon get their own exclusives. I understand it probably wasn't profitable for them, but the "hey, we know you're here!" sentiment of it was nice. Now it's just radio silence aside from the fact that Hasbro let Basic Fun make replicas.

Offline freezestime

• Forever and Always the Prom Queen
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 09:10:07 PM »
Oh, I thought those mish mash characters were factory samples, like just testing stamps, placement of hair/stamps, ect.
Freezestime's Masterlist! https://bit.ly/3x1te5n
Dedicated G2 thread! https://bit.ly/3vIIJhL
Dedicated G2 V2.0 thread! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,403447.msg1880080/topicseen.html#new
Forgotten Toy lines! [urlhttps://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=395090.150[/url]

Offline Moonbreeze

• Trade Count: (+202)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 nut
    • View Profile
    • My personal site
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 02:28:29 AM »
There we a lot of prototypes/ factory errors on Taobao back in the day. Holly Blue being one of them.
If I remember correctly... Hasbro stopped providing exclusives to PonyCon so they got their own exclusive instead, that being Holly Blue.

Offline starbritesprinkles

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • The Lyrical Vault | she/her/hers
    • View Profile
    • StarbriteSprinkles
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 08:55:06 PM »
Honestly I think it's really sad that neither the MLP Fair nor Ponycon get their own exclusives. I understand it probably wasn't profitable for them, but the "hey, we know you're here!" sentiment of it was nice. Now it's just radio silence aside from the fact that Hasbro let Basic Fun make replicas.

You do know that MLP Fair and PonyCon had to pay for full factory runs of every exclusive they've offered, right? With the exception of the 2005 and 2006 Fair exclusives and those shared with Comic Con from 2012-2016 (which were a "pre-sale" for SDCC), Hasbro didn't just give ponies to the events.

Offline Spectrum

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2019, 07:36:42 PM »

You do know that MLP Fair and PonyCon had to pay for full factory runs of every exclusive they've offered, right? With the exception of the 2005 and 2006 Fair exclusives and those shared with Comic Con from 2012-2016 (which were a "pre-sale" for SDCC), Hasbro didn't just give ponies to the events.

I wasn't implying that. I'm speaking along the lines of a company's thought process; the fair ponies were complex and I wouldn't doubt that Hasbro at some point decided that the designing and production of such a small batch of ponies was no longer worth the effort when that labor could be put into ponies that can be released in as many numbers and as many times as the company wants. Especially when you can make your SDCC pony a basic fashion style with crossed eyes and call it a day.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 10:52:04 AM »
I'm late to the game, but...

Trixieshy or "Holly Blue" was one of three different oddballs based off the wedding singles, the others being "Lyra Rays" (far right) and "Pinkie Berry" (far left, blonde hair).

Hasbro didn't provide UK Ponycon with an exclusive that year, but the oddballs were plentiful, so they ordered around 100 of them and dubbed her "Holly Blue" because of her symbol - holly blues are English butterflies. :)

I don't consider these prototypes, either... and I doubt this "set" of oddballs are tests since there were *so dang many* of them made!! I'm with Spectrum, I think they're just the result of factory workers getting creative when the boss isn't looking ;p

I like them, though.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline cloud_weaver

• Trade Count: (+126)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 11:33:24 AM »
What everyone said here is pretty accurate. There were a lot of Prototypes/mishmash ponies appearing on the Taobao website. There were a lot of different prototypes that came out including wingless fashion style Rainbow Dash, white Celestia FashionStyle (as opposed to pink), among many many others.

This particular year, Hasbro decided not to give the UK pony con an exclusive pony.  So in order to provide their attendees an exclusive,  they purchased a large amount of a specific prototype pony and bagged each up individually, and named her Holly blue.  Each was given a numbered card inside their package. Here is a photo of mine

[/url]

On the note of prototypes, here is my prototype Wingless FS Rainbow Dash

Spoiler

[/url]

Thank you LunaCat for my Kirin Cloud Weaver!
Cloudie’s Wish List
- http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,396949
Cloudie’s TRADE List
- http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,396962

Offline Spectrum

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2019, 09:45:35 PM »
I'll show a pony I used to own, then.  :P The yellow unicorn filly prototype. She is now owned ... by someone attempting to sell her for two thousand dollars. I sold her for $300, so I wish them luck in that endeavor LOL

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2019, 05:42:15 AM »
haha Spectrum, I think I've seen that listing - if it's the same seller I'm thinking of, all of their items are kind of crazily priced..

Oh, and as long as we're posting protos...

Here's my Sweetie Blue. :) I really need to take a better photo of her sometime. She's so pretty, I wish she'd gone past the prototype stage... I still wonder what the story behind her is.

Offline maycrestmom

• Trade Count: (+114)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2019, 05:56:39 AM »
now that is interesting to get the history - yeah I never thought of holly blue as a prototype but as the UK ponycon pony.  Smart move IMO on the organizers to take advantage and get the production of her made so that they had a rep pony for the event.  Yeah the whole "oops" at the manufacturing level seems suspect for alot of "prototypes" of the G4 line so that most of them I can't imagine are real production prototypes except there's like that minty, a translucent fluttershy that I think was before the whole crystal-empire with Cadence/Shining Armor story-line, and that sweetie blue which yes! I would love to know if Ms. Cake and Pinkie were supposed to get another helper or if cupcake just got a wrong bod in the batch-making that day which seems the case... oh if only toys could actually talk and give us the scoop

loves me dem green ponies (thank you Lunar!)

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2019, 02:55:17 PM »
now that is interesting to get the history - yeah I never thought of holly blue as a prototype but as the UK ponycon pony.  Smart move IMO on the organizers to take advantage and get the production of her made so that they had a rep pony for the event.  Yeah the whole "oops" at the manufacturing level seems suspect for alot of "prototypes" of the G4 line so that most of them I can't imagine are real production prototypes except there's like that minty, a translucent fluttershy that I think was before the whole crystal-empire with Cadence/Shining Armor story-line, and that sweetie blue which yes! I would love to know if Ms. Cake and Pinkie were supposed to get another helper or if cupcake just got a wrong bod in the batch-making that day which seems the case... oh if only toys could actually talk and give us the scoop

I totally agree with this statement. Very few of the 'prototypes' labelled ponies are actually prototypes, there is only really a small handful which where mostly mentioned above.

I do have a glitter applejack who sold on taobao just before the the glitter wysterias and pinkie pies came out. She has a cardboard tag in her hair and would be impossible to replicate from any g4 pony that has been released so I think she would be classed as a prototype or a test run to see if stores would stock her! There where a few more glitter pony's sold at this time that have subtle differences from those released but this is really the only line I know of that had this happen

Post Merge: November 11, 2019, 02:56:17 PM

https://mylittleprototypes.weebly.com/unknown--test-products.html

This link is very interesting to look at

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2019, 11:14:10 AM »
This is a cool thread! I learned a lot. :)
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal