collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Restoring Precious Gem's Factory Curls  (Read 1479 times)

Offline Prince Firefly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
  • little adventurous prince of ponies
    • View Profile
    • Neocities
Restoring Precious Gem's Factory Curls
« on: October 24, 2019, 10:11:33 AM »
Hey Arena!
I just came in possession of Precious Gem, one of my grails, with her factory curls intact. However, she needs restoration, including a hair cleaning that will ultimately straighten out her hair.
Does anyone have an idea on how I could go about either restoring or keeping her factory curls, instead of recurling her hair a different way?

Precious Gem's factory curls are extremely important to me here, and if I can't have a way to go about cleaning her hair up without keeping them in some way, then I'll just not have to restore her, and keep her in this semi-dirty state she's in. Mind you, it's not bad, her hair is still soft, but white ponies do take a fair bit of surface dirt.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
  hi! i'm prince firefly / thistle whistle  visitors can't see pics , please register or login

pixel sources are koszegiandras + katcombs. icon by c-puff. stamps by me.
neocities // pony blog /// wishlist /// collection

Offline StayGoldPonyboy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Restoring Precious Gem's Factory Curls
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 11:03:12 AM »
You can just surface clean her body and leave her hair as-is if it’s not too bad I suppose?

Offline Prince Firefly

• Fancy Pants Baby
  • little adventurous prince of ponies
    • View Profile
    • Neocities
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 11:06:19 AM »
You can just surface clean her body and leave her hair as-is if it’s not too bad I suppose?

That's the thought.
Her hair isn't awful, but it could use a clean, as it's a bit messy and has stuff in it. I don't mind the messy, and I can pick the fluff she has stuck in it out...

I'd just love to have a way to clean it and keep the curls.
  hi! i'm prince firefly / thistle whistle  visitors can't see pics , please register or login

pixel sources are koszegiandras + katcombs. icon by c-puff. stamps by me.
neocities // pony blog /// wishlist /// collection

Offline HollowZero

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Nightmint av by Shenanigans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2019, 11:06:37 AM »
Is her hair especially bad? Have you considered just cleaning her body, with a magic eraser?

I've kept factory curl before in g1s. Before cleaning I followed the curl, using rubber bands and straws. Then washed the hair to retain the curl. Precious Gems curls are very tight though, so you'll need to make sure the curls stay tight around the straws.

Hello! Please visit my art gallery! Commissions are: open for now

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2019, 11:15:25 AM »
You could lightly mist her hair with cold water then support the curls from the bottom and gently squeeze them. I did that with a Rosedust of mine. It won't deep clean the hair but it will help get off surface dirt. Just be sure to use gentle pressure.

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline SunbeamV

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 04:16:24 PM »
I used the method on the very top of this page.when I got some grimy prom queen SHS ponies. it worked wonderfully!

http://www.mlppreservationproject.com/hair.html

Offline Wonderfalls

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2019, 04:22:28 AM »
I would advise against trying to recurl PG's hair. I've tried to do so myself, and it's pretty hard to recreate the exact look. This is why I have two Precious Gems: one that is MIB and meant for display purposes, and a second one that I deboxed and straightened out into a super-long-hair pony.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but she seems to be the ONLY pony of any generation with this type of curled hair.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 04:25:21 AM by Wonderfalls »

Offline Matcha

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • pony deviantart!!
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2019, 07:25:04 AM »
Perhaps you could clean with cold water and soap and then wrap each curl around a straw in the direction of the curl and then slide the straw out. Ive noticed wrapping the curl around a stick or a straw will let it retain its shape better (compared to say, twisting it). I usually brush the curl out before wrapping it but you may not want to do this with PG, but it has worked well on many factory curled ponies for me, and usually helps restore some of the factory curl too. Good luck!

Offline Wonderfalls

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2019, 03:07:54 PM »
I think one issue with the straw method is that straw curls are relatively chunky. The original curls on PG fit together like maggi noodles, and it could be hard to get those interlocked and tightly formed curls by using straws. You'd need to use a LOT of straws and somehow interlock them nicely. That could be a doozy  :blink:

One alternative would be to take out all of PG's hair and reroot her with some pre-curled hair that holds a similar curl. For example, stuff like this would be a possible reroot material. Bear in mind that such curly hair is harder to manage in a reroot job.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 07:26:54 PM by Wonderfalls »

Offline NightGliderSA

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2019, 03:39:25 AM »
Factory curls are tricky, but not impossible to wash. However they will not look exactly the same again as once it has been wet the hair clumps together somewhat if that makes sense? I am really not sure how dirty the hair is, but it sounds to me as if the most important thing to you is that the curl itself is not compromised. One thing you can consider is (very carefully - don't burn yourself) holding the hair in steam. This will not clean it, but can do wonders for neatening the curls. Just don't over do it either, it must not get too wet. A gentle steaming is what you are after, and you can always repeat once it has dried. Good luck!

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2019, 09:18:39 AM »
What about Qtip curls or bobby pin curls? They might be thin enough to replicate that style-not exactly, but rather close.

Sig by Starscout <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal