collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: FiM Finale: The Ending of the End/The Last Problem  (Read 14365 times)

Offline Deep Purple Crystal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • "Jewels! Jewels in your eyes!"
    • View Profile
Re: FiM Finale: The Ending of the End/The Last Problem
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2019, 09:48:24 AM »
Appledash and Fluttercord were both planned to be canon according to the new leaks.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Judging by their role in the final episode (and the obviously deliberate wording of their introduction in the epilogue), I'm honestly not surprised (assuming you've read the Eliza Hart treatment for the final episode also included within the leaks, the ending line with Twilight admitting that the entire coronation was a ****show was also a highlight).

Spoiler
On a related note, the leaks themselves are fascinating stuff - one could easily write an entire 'art of' book on FiM and then some with it, particularly in light of the uber-detailed animation revision notes and the plethora of premises (particularly for seasons 4 and 5 - I assume you've uncovered the various early incarnations of the 100th episode (including that document with the Doctor Whooves scene's DW references turned up to eleven), the rejected season 3 episode where Twilight temporarily assumes Mayor Mare's position, the infamous canned deer episode from season 1 and the entire rejected first draft for that Legally Blonde parody with Rarity M.A Larson referenced way back in 2015?) and drafts (the first draft of the season 3 finale in particular is shockingly different, particular Steven Magnet's climatic verse). Although I haven't downloaded them myself (a contact sent a number of screenshots depicting the material they found most noteworthy to me), they were a fascinating read and it's compelling being in a position to view documents which accurately reflect the undiluted 'styles' of the show's crew - note that the Faust-era writers seem to have a more lighthearted energy about their work, whereas the style of the documents' text noticeably changes upon Haber and co. assuming the reins into a more sardonic style, basically reflecting the show's shift in tone at large.

Thanks to LordBlumiere and Corona for the amazing Masquerade and Baby Sugarcake in my sig!

Offline Sparkle Pony

• F.O.E. Pony
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • I'm not scrawny, I'm svelte!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2019, 11:13:55 AM »
I have to admit, I have soured on the ending a bit after mulling it over (I was very tired when I watched it). I still think its about the best the show could possibly pull off given its current state, but I really wish it wasn't in the state it was when it ended. I really hope the next generation can create a more.. coherent experience.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2019, 11:19:16 AM »
Leave stuff ambiguous for fans to debate strikes me as weak writing.  Your job is to tell a story, not leave a bunch of loose threads for the fans to pick at.

This.  Usually, I’m for stuff being left to interpretation, because IMO, it’s also bad to hold the reader/watcher’s hand throughout.  But yeah, it was pretty weak writing in this case.  Though...
Spoiler
I think I’m mostly bitter about them just hinting at Granny dying, rather than showing how that was dealt with.  How did AJ react?  Did her passing break the family for a bit?  Big Mac obviously held some strong emotions about his parents, so how did he take it when the current matriarch passed?  What about Applebloom?  Did she rely on her friends?  Could have been a really amazing episode, because every kid experiences the loss of a grandparent at some point...  But the Apples are just fine and dandy in the end while AJ wears GS’s shawl.  They seem to want to be able to tackle tough subjects sometimes, but they just skip over the obvious loss of a fan favorite.  You want to be as groundbreaking a show as you claim, FiM (you’re not), then go all the way rather than kinda-sorta hinting at difficult subject matter and then pulling a JK Rowling on fans via Twitter.

That's why I almost cried when I watched the leaked episodes. Nothing had an effect on me except for
Spoiler
Granny's death

So now that people are saying that S10 will happen in comic form... can we at least see the funeral? The IDW comics are ugly meant for a slightly older audience, I alwas assumed. So put it in. Have her appear in the clouds like Mufasa if you must but adress it somehow.

Offline caseysealia

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2019, 11:24:50 AM »
Appledash and Fluttercord were both planned to be canon according to the new leaks.

But they aren't in finale production. I love Fluttercord but I have to admit its in no way official.  -_- Probably due to outrage.

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2019, 11:28:12 AM »

But they aren't in finale production. I love Fluttercord but I have to admit its in no way official.  -_- Probably due to outrage.

A lot of things happened in this show due to outrage. So let us non-shippers have this one thing to cling to ;)

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2019, 11:30:17 AM »
The Lion Guard (which is aimed at the same age range, if not younger) actually showed both a funeral and, in the final season, a character (Queen Janna) passing away due to old age on the screen. There was a warning at the start of the episode and everything. It was beautifully done, and handled well.

I'm not sure why FiM constantly dodged anything serious like that. If Disney Junior could do an episode like that, so could they.

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

Offline LunaCat

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
    • Worlds Apart: My Little Pony Tale
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2019, 11:39:33 AM »
I wasn't impressed. Spike looks awful being too muscular. Season 2 episode 10 Spike was turned into an adult dragon, now that was a cool looking dragon. Twilight looks like Celestia's twin. The ending did not explain anything.
This wasn't an ending, just a glimpse of the future, if that was the intent then they did a good job.
Other than the ending, the show was pretty good, I enjoyed watching all the seasons. :)

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2019, 11:39:42 AM »
I'm not sure why FiM constantly dodged anything serious like that. If Disney Junior could do an episode like that, so could they.

I have the feeling that Hasbro restricted a lot of things due to "little girls can't handle it" or whatever. See LadyMoondancer's comment about Hasbro insisting the previous gen being human toddlers.
They are weird about MLP and always have been.

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2019, 11:57:58 AM »
Downside for the final for me, we didn’t get to see a grown up Flurryheart

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Online Lady Frostbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2019, 12:00:14 PM »

Judging by their role in the final episode (and the obviously deliberate wording of their introduction in the epilogue), I'm honestly not surprised (assuming you've read the Eliza Hart treatment for the final episode also included within the leaks, the ending line with Twilight admitting that the entire coronation was a ****show was also a highlight).

Spoiler
On a related note, the leaks themselves are fascinating stuff - one could easily write an entire 'art of' book on FiM and then some with it, particularly in light of the uber-detailed animation revision notes and the plethora of premises (particularly for seasons 4 and 5 - I assume you've uncovered the various early incarnations of the 100th episode (including that document with the Doctor Whooves scene's DW references turned up to eleven), the rejected season 3 episode where Twilight temporarily assumes Mayor Mare's position, the infamous canned deer episode from season 1 and the entire rejected first draft for that Legally Blonde parody with Rarity M.A Larson referenced way back in 2015?) and drafts (the first draft of the season 3 finale in particular is shockingly different, particular Steven Magnet's climatic verse). Although I haven't downloaded them myself (a contact sent a number of screenshots depicting the material they found most noteworthy to me), they were a fascinating read and it's compelling being in a position to view documents which accurately reflect the undiluted 'styles' of the show's crew - note that the Faust-era writers seem to have a more lighthearted energy about their work, whereas the style of the documents' text noticeably changes upon Haber and co. assuming the reins into a more sardonic style, basically reflecting the show's shift in tone at large.

I'm lost, what was the deer episode?

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

Offline CloudyGlow

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2019, 12:01:09 PM »
I have only see it once and was on edge the whole time. So my opinion may change upon additional viewings. I think it was good. Not great, just good. It had some great things but I don't like Twilight Sparkle becoming the ruler of Equestria. I prefer her to be the Princess of Friendship with Celestia, Luna, and Cadance ruling the sun, moon, and romantic love. I thought season 4 cemented that was her destiny. The school was just extra.

Things I like: No villain reformation, no permanent alicornification of anypony, Spike got to do the rainbow thing, Appledash is a couple, we get to see the future.

Things I could live without or dislike: Discord and Fluttershy tease, CheesePie confirmed, still no explanation for why the two sisters are alicorns!, and Grogar is Discord (????)

Offline caseysealia

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2019, 12:01:40 PM »

A lot of things happened in this show due to outrage. So let us non-shippers have this one thing to cling to ;)
That is true. I feel they should of left ships out, except for maybe Cheesepie?? I mean I think it was to be expected.  Everybody else? Not be mentioned or with new characters. I used to be a big shipper but these days it seems unnecessary. I don't feel there was a reason other than fan service.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 12:05:12 PM by caseysealia »

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2019, 12:08:38 PM »
That is true. I feel they should of left ships out, except for maybe Cheesepie?? I mean I think it was to be expected.
That's my problem, they should have left ships out completely. There was no hinting to Cheesepie at all. I'm a loose shipper and I'm mad they confirmed anything. It just sparks fighting in a show where shipping should have been left out from the start because of the nature of the show.
Jeez, they got me to fight, too. Urgghhh.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline caseysealia

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2019, 12:13:43 PM »
That is true. I feel they should of left ships out, except for maybe Cheesepie?? I mean I think it was to be expected.
That's my problem, they should have left ships out completely. There was no hinting to Cheesepie at all. I'm a loose shipper and I'm mad they confirmed anything. It just sparks fighting in a show where shipping should have been left out from the start because of the nature of the show.
Jeez, they got me to fight, too. Urgghhh.
Yeah they should of built it up. Sure, they're just like eachother and we got teases in the season 4 episode all those years ago, but he literally showed up recently and nothing. I love the ship but man was there no indication. I mean I guess there was 20 years for them to fall in love but still. Show ittt. It was probably the safest ship to go with though. Can you imagine the fandom if they had made something like  Flashlight canon?  :shocked:

Offline CloudyGlow

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2019, 12:18:13 PM »
@caseysealia
Hey, I like Flashlight. I would have loved to seen that. But they abandoned that ship long ago and it would set most fans on fire. I'm not ready for that hate it would reignite.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal