collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Priorities?(kinda ranty)  (Read 1232 times)

Offline Thimble

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Priorities?(kinda ranty)
« on: October 10, 2019, 08:55:51 PM »
So my town's about to get clobbered by a second typhoon, before we even finish clearing up the last one, and everyone is scrambling to prepare. 

Meanwhile, the international news is actually interested in japan for once. Yep, we're all over the place.

Goes something like this: typhoon, japan, damagemumblemumbleDangermeh, ....RUGBY OHNOES!!

I've even seen articles implying deliberate cheating on japans part regarding the cancelled games. And ever the reasonable news seems to treat a missed game as a tragedy on par with all the destruction a storm like this could cause.
....Seriously?

Are rugby fans really this crazy? I mean rugby's a total non issue where I'm from, but I know better than to underestimate how  upset about those cancelled games japan is. They were unbelievably thrilled to have the world cup here. These are some hard core fans we're talking about. And japan is a country that only cancels things when its really, really desperate. My students have been asking for news about the Cup all day.

To have actual newspapers hinting at bribery and shady deals, just because japan decided to be proactive and spare a bunch people of the joy of being trapped in a flooded hotel or airport with no supplies seems pretty ridiculous.

I mean, it took nearly two weeks to get power back up in my town last month, we ran out of food all over town by day three, and everyone had to go to other towns for supplies! Which is impossible if you dont drive or if you run out of gas. Because the trains and buses are stopped too.

The whole thing just seems really absurd to me. I mean, is a game really worth risking lives over?
So yeah, I'm pretty salty about the international response, but i'll forgive the guy who wistfully wished they'd postpone a day or two instead of cancel...he's clearly from somewhere landlocked, lol.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 04:18:08 AM by Thimble »

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Priorties?(kinda ranty)
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 10:21:14 PM »
Any news on F1?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Priorities?(kinda ranty)
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 11:15:12 AM »
I've never been much of a sports fan, but wow! People are more worried about Rugby than a Typhoon? That's insane.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 11:49:21 AM »
Sending sincere and heartfelt good wishes during the bad weather. I agree that some people have a very strange sense of perspective.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Thimble

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2019, 03:48:49 AM »
bright rabbit..........lol
I can appreciate a well timed troll.  And apparently everything f1 related on saturday has been rescheduled. Becuase it seems a lot of the facilities are under varying amounts of water atm.

Also,if typhoon was not enough,this morning there was a tornado not 30 mins from  me and we just had an earthquake. A little one, no damage, but still, can we get a break :blink:

So far no flooding here tho so i'm calling it a win.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 03:52:21 AM by Thimble »

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2019, 04:12:35 AM »
No cats and dogs yet then.

Just FYI, the BBC reported on the typhoon this morning and did not mention any sporting events!
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Thimble

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2019, 04:37:21 AM »
Its a miracle! The internet article of theirs I read just now was half sports, tho. And I guess I cant point too many fingers, since the news just did a segment abiut tbe rugby players practicing in the rain. Lol. Thanks for the nice thoughts earlier btw.

Nope, i think we're officially in the cows and llamas category now, lol. Passed cats and dogs several inches of rain back, heh.

Man i hope we dont miss anymore school. Also, i am so grateful the powers still on.

Post Merge: October 12, 2019, 07:35:01 AM

Duuuude, one town has gotten like 60 inches of rain so far. But maybe not cuz that is crazy talk.What would a 1000ml be in real numbers?
Also, Tokyo's got a river flooding and they're opening dams all over the place because theres too much water.
But its calmed down a lot here, and doesnt seem likely to flood, so I'm going bed. In the morning, I guess I'll find out how bad my town got hit.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 07:35:01 AM by Thimble »

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2019, 11:29:17 AM »
It's incredibly sad how some people don't realize there's more to life than sports....like staying safe in a typhoon which I'm glad it sounds like you are.

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2019, 06:52:35 PM »
I think its a form  of distraction. Once you storm proof and bunker down, the wait is the awful part.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal