collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Custom pricing question - and another completed custom!  (Read 777 times)

Offline Blackness

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Secret Surprise Pony
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page:
Custom pricing question - and another completed custom!
« on: October 06, 2019, 10:29:34 PM »
Hey everyone!

I've received a few enquiries recently asking how much I will sell my custom for and I'm really struggling with deciding on how much to charge. I'm wondering how you lovely customisers calculate how much to charge for your work? I find myself feeling guilty for asking for 'too much' but considering the 40 - 60 hours that goes into making them it's difficult to part with them!!

In other news I've finally finished my Cherry Blossom custom! She came to me as a baity Snowflake, with some serious dark cancer on one leg and rump - I really need to start taking 'before' photos of my ponies! Polymer clay tree and flowers were hand sculpted to cover all cancer spots. Pink has always been my least favourite to work with and I'm happy she's finally finished!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Roogna

• Trade Count: (+594)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://roogna.deviantart.com
Re: Custom pricing question - and another completed custom!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 09:20:46 AM »
she's very pretty

price is HARD

two tips
#1 reason for making customs should be because you want to and for fun and not because you want/need to make money off it. It won't work in your favor to do that.

Also, you can always lower your price, so start with a $ amount you feel good about, and decide how long you'll wait to see if it sells. Some amazing artists sell their art for way less than they could get because they want it to sell within a week or two. Others are ok keeping it indefinitely, and may or may not lower price or have sales.

I've seen some people suggest calculating the cost of your supplies and adding some round number to it ($20, $30, etc). If you're already thinking about how many hours you put in, see my #1 point above. You won't make anything for your time doing this. Some of us spend months on a custom hahahah

My best advice on pricing for someone getting started at establishing their price point is to look at what customs are actually selling for on ebay/etsy/mlparena, etc and try something similar, knowing you may need to mark it down at some point. If your pieces start selling well, then you can raise your prices. I also suggest that sculpted work on ponies increases the price over "just" painted

It is a personal decision because it's your art. And art and business don't see eye-to-eye in our culture. In the end, it's worth what someone will pay for it, and connecting your art with the right person can be challenging

And one last point -- use social media to promote and try different selling platforms
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

DeviantArt Etsy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal