collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The Big Mac Question (S9E23)  (Read 2680 times)

Offline lonewolf

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Lyra the dance master
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart account
The Big Mac Question (S9E23)
« on: October 06, 2019, 04:09:53 PM »
The last new episode to air on a Saturday morning has happened. Overall I give it an 8/10.
Spoiler
I figured it would just be Discord who messes things up, but Spike, the CMC's, and Mrs. Cake had a part too. It starts out, and seems like they're talking to the people watching the show, but it turns out they were telling Applejack how everything went wrong.  In the though we got to see Mac and Sugar get married where his parents did, complete with Mayor Mare.

Mrs. Cake mentions Octavia and Bulk Biceps went on a date at one point (I'm sure that went well  :lol: ).
And Granny Smith pulls a full blown Star Trek reference.

Some screencaps:
General Discord has returned.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Where nopony has gone before..

They're back:

Three Amigos ref'!

SPIKE!

SWEETIE BELLE!

No ideas Spike.

DISCOOOOOORD!

But there was a brief scene where in the background an event fans have been waiting for happened. There's no denying it now:

Spoiler
When finally. I look inside your eyes and see....

And of course "some people" aren't too happy about it.
Especially since in the very last episode, there's a pic' confirming it: (spoiler for final ep')
Spoiler

I'm the D to the E to the --- and no filly's got the moves like my big wall eyes. I'm De---licious.
Listen to this song while watching my sig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTi11bFNdMs :P

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Re: The Big Mac Question (S9E23)
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 04:25:00 PM »
LyraBon! :lovey: They're adorable, omg.

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 04:44:03 PM »
Spoiler
Well, this should confirm to everyone that you shouldn't trust Discord with ANYTHING!
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 05:19:03 PM »
I love this one! The framing is neat and it's nice to see a thread tied up

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 03:43:15 AM »
Spoiler
Well of course Octavia went on a date with Bulk. All Brony faves have to end up together in their little background pony universe but one lesbian couple is enough so Octavia was pushed together with that 'roided out horse even tho it makes no sense.

Sorry, too negative? Let me add more... I simply hate that Bulk Biceps character :P He doesn't even look like a pony. He looks like something Adult Swim would come up with as an MLP parody.

Edit: I just thought of something that would have made the episode cuter. Instead of tiny rings they could have had bracelets. Rings were cute when Cadance and SA married because both have horns and they placed the ring on the horn. That was really clever.
But from an in-universe perspective, pegasi and earthlings wouldn't need these horn rings. They would have their own piece of jewelry customized for them. Like I said a bracelet or a necklace (NOT a horn ring on a necklace). If you want to overthink it... and I love to overthink things... it's just another unicorn custom the unicorns expected the other ponies to abide by :lol: Ruling class and all. It's just sooo easy to read it like that when you establish a wedding ring being made to go on a horn :P

And btw... anyone noticed the Cakes have no rings? Gasp! Did they just take off their horn ring necklaces because they don't believe in unicorn symbols? Or the symbol of marriage in general? Is that why Mrs. Cake was so nervous when pointed out she had unicorn and pegasi foals? She took off her ring to cheat? Yaaas. The conspiracy theories write themselves :lol:

(Sarcasm was used, don't take it all too seriously)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 04:15:14 AM by Zapper »

Offline lonewolf

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Lyra the dance master
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart account
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 05:35:08 AM »
Spoiler
Well of course Octavia went on a date with Bulk. All Brony faves have to end up together in their little background pony universe but one lesbian couple is enough so Octavia was pushed together with that 'roided out horse even tho it makes no sense.

Sorry, too negative? Let me add more... I simply hate that Bulk Biceps character :P He doesn't even look like a pony. He looks like something Adult Swim would come up with as an MLP parody.

Actually that was completely out of left field. I only found one piece of art with those two paired up. I think the writers just  did it as a joke.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 05:41:46 AM by lonewolf »

I'm the D to the E to the --- and no filly's got the moves like my big wall eyes. I'm De---licious.
Listen to this song while watching my sig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTi11bFNdMs :P

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 06:46:36 AM »
Spoiler

Actually that was completely out of left field. I only found one piece of art with those two paired up. I think the writers just  did it as a joke.

It doesn't need to be serious shipping for me to dislike it. That Bulk pony was getting on my nerves the monent they brought him back. He started working at the spa, he was featured in the trivia night episode as Fluttershy's partner. He was in EqG (and looked even more terrifying as a human). He is just bringing out the worst in me :lol:

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2019, 07:37:17 AM »
And in goes the final nail for canon CheeriMac - not that it matters, because fanon exists.  I hope at least some bronies who ship ponies who are not ever going to be together in canon now will realise that (there's a chance the whole "ruined headcanon" thing is meant to be taken as a joke, but it's hard to tell with that side of the brony fandom.)

Spoiler
I'm fine with LyraBon being either a friendship or romantic ship, and find either believable (there is such thing as a "romantic friendship" so they could have easily have had that, but that image of them proposing to each other looked really cute, and those characters do mean something to me, and they are definitely perfect together in my opinion, however you see their relationship, so I'm happy for them.   :lovey:
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 07:41:51 AM by MJNSEIFER »
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Pinkie21

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2019, 08:21:23 AM »
I thought it was a nice ending for Big Mac.  It would have been better if the side characters didn’t get such a huge focus throughout this series, but I’ll take a family member of a main character over some random fan favorite background pony. 
Spoiler
Of course the fandom is more excited about Lyra and Sweetie Drips than anything else.  I don’t know why they’re such a huge deal for people when they get no speaking time, but whatever. 

I liked the nod to the Apple parents.  That was so sweet, and I love that Big Mac has obviously talked about his folks to Sugar Belle. 

Now, best of all...only one more week til this series and fad are finally done!

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2019, 08:34:49 AM »
I hope that part about it being a fad is a joke.

Spoiler
Speaking for mostly myself on Lyra and Bon Bon, they were two of the first background ponies that the fandom took to, so I think there's a sentimental and nostalgic attachment to them - that's certainly what it is to me in any case.

I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2019, 08:52:36 AM »
The fandom at large has always tended to focus on background gags, I feel? At least while the show is still new. I think the most fitting comparison would be The Last Roundup. I was going to compare it to Flutter Brutter as well but I don't think that's fair (there was no fanon for Epona as a pony previous to the appearance).
I won't be watching the finale live but I'm waiting for G4 to wrap up, I am so hype for G5 it's unbelievable.

Before I graduate, please!

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2019, 09:14:41 AM »
Spoiler
Of course the fandom is more excited about Lyra and Sweetie Drips than anything else.  I don’t know why they’re such a huge deal for people when they get no speaking time, but whatever.

They are "insert your fanfic here" characters just like Muffin, Octavia, DJ, Time Turner, and so on... apart from Sweetie (who is in-show called BonBon) all of them had their characters shaped by the brony fandom. Even DJs eye color was decided by fans, it's nuts.

Buuut I have no issue with LyraBon because it organically evolved in the background. It was shaped by fans but at least it was not forced like
Spoiler
PinkieCheese - also demanded by certain fans but was never hinted at in-show until it finally popped up in the very last episode of S9.
We saw them always spending time together in BG and sometimes they would do romantic stuff like giving gifts for Hearts and Hooves.

But compare them to Scootaloo's aunts who were not even allowed to have an explicitly romantic gesture towards each other whereas there have been three dedicated wedding episodes to m/f couples and lots more m/f romance plots.

LyraBon finally being official is like getting a lifeboat in a sea of carefully hidden gays like the aunties or Steven Magnet. Parents can't tell kids that these two female ponies are sisters or just fashionable because now we actually saw them propose :lol:
(Even tho some people in this thread say it could be a "romantic friendship" proposal mwahahaha)

Mac/Sugar Belle was obvious but LyraBon was not.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2019, 12:33:16 PM »
On LyraBon - I'm shallow, I just like their designs and think they look cute together. :p I don't watch the show (but I watch the threads sometimes... I like seeing everyone's reactions ^^ Plus it's nice to know what y'all mean when you mention X/Y/Z character/plot development/etc, ya know?), but there's so many backgrounders with lovely designs...

edit: (to clarify - Big Mac/Sugar Belle is cute, too. I love weddings, I love flowers, I love love!!)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 05:06:04 PM by Carrehz »

Offline TJgamer

• Colorswirl Pony
  • An open-minded adventurer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2019, 02:34:41 PM »
Big Mac has been through a lot of crap over the years. From love poisons to sibling neglect, he's gotten the short end of the stick numerous times. But now all that has paid off; he is finally married and can now settle peacefully with his new love. You did good, big guy. You did good.
 :lovey:

Alright, enough of my sap, the episode itself was mostly silly shenanigans ensuing. It's very similar to "The Saddle Row Review", with its reality TV structure and goofy antics.

I do like how the CMC acknowledge that they really need to stop getting involved in Big Mac's personal life since it always backfires. I've been saying that for a long time.  >_<  At least they're trying to make up for it.

You gotta love Mrs. Cake. She keeps getting closer to having a heart attack.  :lol: Actually, this is probably the most involved in a plot she's ever been since... well, ever.

Spike burning up the pastries was pretty funny and, like he said, probably a good thing.

That said, what exactly was Sugar Belle's plan again? Was she wanting Big Mac to eat through all 22 apple deserts to get the message? Maybe she's into more chunky stallions, if you know I mean.  ;)

Discord was his usual self. I do love the apple gremlin creatures he made. On that note, when the fused monster relayed the message to Sugar Belle, I have to wonder if even for a split second Sugar Belle was thinking what the honeymoon with this abomination would be like.  :blink:

And yes, we all got the Star Trek reference. Ha ha.  :P

This was a fun slice of life romp with a very sweet ending. And a fitting one for the being the last normal standalone episode.

And now, the time has come. Up next is our final story in Equestria.
 :|
They: You're too old to watch that show!
Me: Can't hear ya, I'm asleep.

Offline Pinkie21

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2019, 04:52:07 PM »
Yeah, I kinda would have rather have seen some real relationship stuff with Scoot’s aunts in that one episode, rather than two fan favorites having a forced background romance throughout the whole series that tries to take away from the focus of the story.  Honestly, I’m really more surprised that so many people (not all, but a loud many) actually are focused more about ponies like Lyra and Sweetie Drops (I refuse to call her by her fan-given name) than actual characters that matter.  Honestly, I’m thrilled that they didn’t pair up Mac with some random fan favorite.  But, his pairing with Sugar Belle actually makes a world of sense to me.  Their meetup made sense, they kept their personality traits throughout their relationship, while growing somewhat around one another.  Aside from my gripes, I liked the actual marriage/wedding between Big Mac and Sugar Belle.  Definitely a really sweet ending (or beginning, technically) to such an adorable pair.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal