collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ponies at Toy Shows/Fairs?  (Read 1621 times)

Offline Glitter Yolk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Depends Pony
  • Researching fakies, as always
    • View Profile
Ponies at Toy Shows/Fairs?
« on: September 30, 2019, 11:47:57 AM »
I was curious about people's pony luck at toys shows. Have you ever scored at one? Found a fellow collector? Maybe had a booth yourself? I'm not talking about a my little pony fair, or a get-together. Just an advertised event that states it's a toy show.

In my experience, whenever I try out a toy show, it usually has tons of diecast, model trains, hotwheels and action figures. Lots of adult guy collectors that are middle aged or older. It's very rare to see any girl toys, and no ponies. When I look at fliers advertising 'Toy Show!' there may or may not be a list of items that might be there. Usually something along the lines of 'cars, trains, lunch boxes, baseball cards, Star Trek, comics, vintage collectibles...and dolls'. One 'girl' toy might be mentioned in the flier, and it is always, without a doubt, dolls. The result of that, maybe one or two booths out of fifty that has like, three barbies each. Not even a variety of dolls, or even many barbies.

Every toy show I've attended has been fruitless. What's up with that?  :cry:

I'd love to attend a toy show in my state with a high diversity of toys, but it just doesn't seem to be in the cards for me!

Offline poniesthatsparkle

• Rainbow Curl Pony
  • TAF Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: Ponies at Toy Shows/Fairs?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 11:53:43 AM »
Toy shows have always been hit or miss for me. The annual toy show in my city usually has at least two or three booths with ponies, but sometimes I'll just find a baity G3 and nothing else.

I did meet another collector at this toy show! Sadly I don't know if she's on the forums, but I did talk with her for a while about ponies and Breyer horses. She sold me a Baby Starbow and a baby ballerina pony. It was a pleasant experience, and my first time meeting another collector.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 02:41:35 PM »
Yeah, I see ponies at toy fairs a lot. Actually lately there seem to be more pony collectors there too, buying stuff xD. Which is fine although I could do without the competition, lol :D

I found two MOC sea ponies at a toy fair once. I have found a lot of loose ponies as well, from G1 through to G4. I think I picked up Lulu Luck and a Holly Dash, also my G2 Waterlily from there. At the one I'm thinking of there's a seller who always has a booth with eighties girls toys and always has ponies, of all generations, priced fairly, and they do deals and discounts for people they know. Last time before the most recent I think I found Fizzy's puffy sticker and a bunch of other accessories too.

Ponies are getting more common at toy fairs here. I quite like that that's the case, as a lot of other eighties toys are also making their presence felt too. I would persevere.

The last toy fair I went to even had a Lullabye Nursery.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 03:44:01 PM »
I agree with persevere. But I'm a bit more patient because my Dad collects pez so I make it a point to look for pez if I'm out and about. It does help to have a second motive, because hey, no ponies but I found this weird set, so not all is lost!
But I've also found that it can take FOREVER for something good to come up. I speak of course more of thrifts and fleas but I think 80's toys are indeed starting to worm their way into the collectorsphere if the local flea/antique has anything to say about it. Definitely more girls toys making their way in than before.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Snuzzle76

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 05:50:34 PM »
I went to a non-pony Con in Orlando years ago and there were some girl toys, but mostly Hello Kitty and Japanese styled toys. There was an artist there doing drawings... mostly Gundam Wing Transformery kind of stuff so I asked him for a Hello Kitty Gundam Wing. He said I was the 1st girl ever to ask him for a drawing. It turned out pretty good and now my daughter has it up in her room.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 09:33:16 PM »
If anyone is in Washington, I recommend the Washington State Toy Show!  Next one is in November!  I'm a vendor there and there was also another booth totally devoted to MLP at the previous one.  (Well, mostly MLP but also some other girls' toys.)

^ This was my booth.  I had a great time!

There were also a couple random vendors that had a pony or two among their things, or in one case a bunch of G1 backcards.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2019, 09:57:15 PM »
I found G1s at an anime convention and both brony cons I went to, one stall at each. Otherwise, I don't see G1s at toy shows or cons unless I'm selling them. The collectibles shop I frequent just got in their first G1s in 3+ years.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline caseysealia

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 07:06:06 AM »
Sometimes they have rummage like toy shows at like state fair parks. I haven't been to any but my guess is that those might be better to try out.

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2019, 02:21:11 PM »
I love toy shows! I’m generally lucky at them, I agree that it’s mostly “boy” toys, but I’ve had great luck. I also have had incredible luck making friends with vendors who sell other vintage toys and asking them to lookout for ponies for me. One guy has found over 40 ponies over the course of a year for me including a scoops! It’s worth asking at these places too as one guy had a bunch of ponies in his car but didn’t bring them in because he didn’t think they’d sell, he went and got them for me and was happy to unload them!
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline Glitter Yolk

• Depends Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2019, 09:00:14 AM »
Thanks for all of the encouragement everyone, I'm glad others have had better luck!

^ This was my booth.  I had a great time!

Sadly I don't live in Washington, but to see this in person would be crazy. Your booth looks amazing!

I love toy shows! I’m generally lucky at them, I agree that it’s mostly “boy” toys, but I’ve had great luck. I also have had incredible luck making friends with vendors who sell other vintage toys and asking them to lookout for ponies for me. One guy has found over 40 ponies over the course of a year for me including a scoops! It’s worth asking at these places too as one guy had a bunch of ponies in his car but didn’t bring them in because he didn’t think they’d sell, he went and got them for me and was happy to unload them!

That's actually a pretty good idea to tell other vendors about mlp, I should really try that sometime!

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2019, 09:09:19 AM »
Hit and miss here. If it's a dedicated toy show, it's usually cars, trains and sports cards/memorabilia. Flea markets are always a 50/50. There's a local collector that always has G3's at flea markets.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2019, 04:27:26 AM »
Here it depends on the type of toy show. We have some dedicated to “classic” toys (trains, dolls, 50s era stuff) others that are focused more towards 80s and 90s toys, and ones in between. We try to sell at one or two each summer, and because we’re often one of  the only “pink” booths, we tend to sell really well (spoiler alert: G3’s and G4’s sell really well to the kids of adult collectors). It’s rare that I find ponies to buy, but I tend to sell really well. I’ve also had a couple of instances where other vendors will sell me the ponies they have cheap because they don’t really know the line and just want to move them. It helps too if you have a pony shirt on, as vendors will sometimes call you over if they recognize what you’re looking for.

Elf

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2019, 10:33:13 AM »
We have a pretty diverse Doll Club here.  Problem is, their toy show ALWAYS co-incides with the model train show!!!!!!  since I am a member of one of the train clubs, I am expected to participate in that.  I have only managed to make it to the doll show once in 12 years.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline MysticalGypsy

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2019, 03:50:36 PM »
I scored 2! yes 2... Cha Cha The Llama's at the local doll show I could hardly believe it!
~*Formerly known as BlackIris*~
*** Thanks  ponymaker for my Gypsy blinkie! ***

Offline Glitter Yolk

• Depends Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2019, 05:06:12 PM »
We have a pretty diverse Doll Club here.  Problem is, their toy show ALWAYS co-incides with the model train show!!!!!!  since I am a member of one of the train clubs, I am expected to participate in that.  I have only managed to make it to the doll show once in 12 years.

I don't think I've ever been to a doll club/doll toy show. I guess I had assumed there'd only be human dolls! But I suppose mlp are kind of like dolls with their hair. :P

I scored 2! yes 2... Cha Cha The Llama's at the local doll show I could hardly believe it!

That's amazing! Pony friends are great finds.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal