collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: dealing with rust and other issues  (Read 802 times)

Offline lordalexander74

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
dealing with rust and other issues
« on: September 27, 2019, 10:21:42 AM »
Found a G1 Applejack at an antique mall, her washer had disintegrated and she was covered with rust inside, and some appeared outside as well. That isn't scrubbing off.
Saw someone use oxiclean and hot water to deal with rust, is that gonna cause issues with the glue holding her mane?

Said applejack also has orange apples. I haven't seen any variant of AJ with orange apples, least on my little wiki. Reckon i'll have to paint them red if I ever get this AJ cleaned up.

How does one get rid of ink or marker stains?

I've a Lemon Drops whose hooves are shiny/sticky. Is this plasticizer leakage?

Thanks
Thanks to Lunacat for the lovely art

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: dealing with rust and other issues
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 10:59:03 AM »
I've used oxiclean on rusty ponies. I have seen no issues with the hair glue in my many oxiclean adventures. I try to use as close to boiling water as I can.
There is no variant, she's just faded.
Ink and marker can be sunfaded. Applejack should sunfade ok, just make sure you cover the symbols, blush, eyes, and hair with paint, tape, foil, etc. Note that foil has been said to cause yellowing issues, so I use a paper towel instead and lots of painter tape.
It's likely! Are her hooves getting rock hard? If you clean off the leakage and it returns, it's plasticizer for sure.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline lordalexander74

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
Re: dealing with rust and other issues
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 10:13:51 AM »
Oxiclean treatment mostly helped with AJ. Significantly better, I posted a pic of her in the brag forum, she was completely covered in rust on the inside. Though there's a lot of tiny specks of rust both inside and outside, which I think are a permanent feature now, they refused to come out.
Got any suggestions on how to get those out?

AJ's hairplugs are still quite discolored, her mane/tail look great aside from being a tangled frizzy mess. The washer's completely disintegrated, clamps discolored but otherwise fine.

Got some marker on her muzzle, I'll try sunfading that when I have time.

Lemon Drops has some faint stains, is it safe to sunfade her as well?
Her legs are a bit stiffer compared to the rest of her body, I'll have to see if I have anything else to deal with potential plasticizer leakage.

And the remaining rust issues with AJ.

Is it safe to display older pony toys infected with spreadable issues, on a separate shelf far away from toys you don't want contaminated? Or is it better to hide them in a closet somewhere?

Post Merge: September 29, 2019, 09:48:13 AM

Spoiler

This is what's left of the rust inside AJ. Her head's got the same leftovers, would've gotten a pic of that as well but my phone camera refuses to focus when taking closeup pics.

I'll look into other rust remover options next time I visit my local Walmart
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 09:48:14 AM by lordalexander74 »
Thanks to Lunacat for the lovely art

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal