collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Mattel just launched gender inclusive doll line  (Read 3915 times)

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Mattel just launched gender inclusive doll line
« on: September 25, 2019, 11:00:48 AM »
And they are really cute!  They kinda have shrunken EAH faces- my kid isn't quite old enough for these dolls yet, but since he already plays with kelly dolls and is so frustrated by their lack of ability to SIT DOWN- I will get him at least one to test :D  (I hope they are sturdy!)  They appear to come with a LOT of goodies...

They are now available online at Amazon, Target, and Walmart.

"The idea for the line comes from concern from both parents and children about the gender of toys," Mattel said in a statement. The line consists of six different doll kits, retailing for about $30 and available in a variety of skin tones. Each kit has one doll, two hairstyle options (one longer, one shorter) and varying clothes.

Here is a link to Zaltan Kusnoor's post this morning as he was one of the team who worked on the doll line. https://www.instagram.com/p/B207br5pFgR/

Link to the official Creatable World Instagram account: https://www.instagram.com/creatableworld/

Promo photos of each group set on A Plastic's Instagram, note, visit the photo and click on the side to view each set: https://www.instagram.com/p/B2zxINWJ49C/

Link to CNN's news: https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/25/us/ma...rnd/index.html

Link to USA Today's article/video: https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...ll/2437887001/

There are lots more news reports this morning, so you can google those.

Link to the dolls on Target: https://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=creatable+world

Link to the dolls on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=creatable...f=nb_sb_noss_2

Link to the dolls on Walmart: https://www.walmart.com/search/?cat_...reatable+world

Offline Ragamuffin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: Mattel just launched gender inclusive doll line
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 11:20:19 AM »
The curly blond one is so cute! I would keep the hair short though...

And these dolls look sooo small! I thought they were, like, nine inches instead of eleven! I guess it's the big head. :P
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 11:29:27 AM »
Yeah I'm guessing they are sturdier versions of like Ever After High dolls? Maybe with SLIGHTLY smaller heads-

Very curious to see them in hand.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2019, 01:54:27 PM »
I think it's an adorable line! I won't be picking any up but I think it's a cute idea, and I love that it comes with lots of clothes. I think kids will have lots of fun with them!

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2019, 02:44:26 PM »
Going to get them all (plus extra because of customs)

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2019, 05:25:39 PM »
The idea to have two dolls in one doll is cool (especially since it saves Mattel the money of making a boy & girl line and having the boys warm shelves because auntie Sue would rather get a Spider-Man for lil Jimmy and not a baby Ken).

Sadly so far they just look like kid dolls that include one super short hair option and one super long hair. If your haircut determines your gender then welcome back to the 1940s!  :lol:
I have short hair and I'd love to see more female dolls with short hair. Not a bob, no. Super short without being shaved off. Same goes for male dolls with long hair. Like a Hairmetal Ken! Yeah.

I'll wait to see reviews. Different bodyparts and head shapes as well as more hair options would be great for customizing. Kind of like the MH Create a Monster sets where you got two dolls to swap - only now it can only ever be one doll with different looks. Mhh.
I wonder if these will come to Germany at all. New Mattel dolls seem to be verboten here as of late. No Wild Hearts, no She-Ra, no new SHG, and afaik no new Fashionistas in physical stores.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 12:51:55 PM »
The idea to have two dolls in one doll is cool (especially since it saves Mattel the money of making a boy & girl line and having the boys warm shelves because auntie Sue would rather get a Spider-Man for lil Jimmy and not a baby Ken).

Sadly so far they just look like kid dolls that include one super short hair option and one super long hair. If your haircut determines your gender then welcome back to the 1940s!  :lol:
I have short hair and I'd love to see more female dolls with short hair. Not a bob, no. Super short without being shaved off. Same goes for male dolls with long hair. Like a Hairmetal Ken! Yeah.

I'll wait to see reviews. Different bodyparts and head shapes as well as more hair options would be great for customizing. Kind of like the MH Create a Monster sets where you got two dolls to swap - only now it can only ever be one doll with different looks. Mhh.
I wonder if these will come to Germany at all. New Mattel dolls seem to be verboten here as of late. No Wild Hearts, no She-Ra, no new SHG, and afaik no new Fashionistas in physical stores.

Well the "age" of the dolls is 7-  so a 7 year old boy is not going to have a different body than a 7 year old girl-  I mean, except from the obvious but you wouldn't put that on a kid's doll anyway.

The options actually include a bunch of different clothing options- some more feminine some more masculine, and a lot of neutral stuff- which is pretty cool.  So kid's are free to play with looks without having to label the doll "boy" or "girl" which is what I think is kinda neat.

It's also just kinda rare to have any dolls marketed to boys, so that is nice
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 12:54:07 PM by Galactica »

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2019, 01:00:24 PM »
These are great, I love them. Just the kind of doll I would have actually played with as a kid. My favorite Barbie? A Ken doll that had a "surfer dude" wig. It was long, crimped blonde hair. I don't know if it had originally come with Ken or not, but he wore it all the time. I also drew tattoos on him :lol:

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2019, 01:06:50 PM »
Part of what I like is just the absence of any packaging or design that screams THIS IS A GIRL TOY or THIS IS A BOY TOY - like hot pink with flowers and hearts- or BLUE with manly Machines and stuff.

I walked through Target just the other day and all of the toys in the girl "Pink Isles" vs the boy isles are very obnoxiously gendered.

I have heard that toystores (and children's clothing stores) in Europe are nothing like what we see in the US.

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2019, 02:05:28 PM »
Part of what I like is just the absence of any packaging or design that screams THIS IS A GIRL TOY or THIS IS A BOY TOY - like hot pink with flowers and hearts- or BLUE with manly Machines and stuff.

I walked through Target just the other day and all of the toys in the girl "Pink Isles" vs the boy isles are very obnoxiously gendered.

I have heard that toystores (and children's clothing stores) in Europe are nothing like what we see in the US.

Everything here in the U.K are grouped together (Morrisons) some like Asda are separate.

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2019, 03:45:47 PM »
I wasn't demanding private parts, btw :lol: Just more options to change the bodytypes.

Depends on the store. Most of the time the type of toy and the aggressive marketing color divides the isles on its own (opposed to the 70s were a lot of packaging for kids was yellow to attract the eye).

A big store here has very obvious "boy corners" and "girl corners". Like the walls suddenly become pink when you start looking for dolls but the large Rey from Star Wars dolls are in boy land.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 03:48:27 PM by Zapper »

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2019, 04:23:08 PM »
I wasn't demanding private parts, btw :lol: Just more options to change the bodytypes.

Depends on the store. Most of the time the type of toy and the aggressive marketing color divides the isles on its own (opposed to the 70s were a lot of packaging for kids was yellow to attract the eye).

A big store here has very obvious "boy corners" and "girl corners". Like the walls suddenly become pink when you start looking for dolls but the large Rey from Star Wars dolls are in boy land.

Ah, well that's disappointing.  Same everywhere then.   I had read somewhere that Barbie (and therefore Mattel) is the one 100% responsible for the "PINK" isle for girls and for defining pink as the "girl" color. 

Post Merge: September 27, 2019, 12:52:54 PM

My order arrived already!  I have to say the doll is really cute, sturdy and the fashions are very attractive and well made too.

The wig is a hard shell like the Liv wig, with a "rind" that kinda looks bad, but on the other hand, it is very sturdy and I think will be easy for little fingers to manage- which is probably the point.

Also, although I hope I can resist, it is interesting that the fashions (and hat for a puffy haired doll) will fit a standard fashion doll.  

Most importantly, this doll can SIT.   The posing is fantastic.  Currently my son has "David" and "Michael" (named after two dear friends, hehe) who he plays with daily-  they are Kelly dolls bought on clearance.  However, my son is constantly annoyed at how they can't SIT DOWN.  He loves mom's fashion dolls because they can "walk" and he loves to bend them all around (much to my dismay when I find him with one). This kid can sit down and cross his legs and is way more sturdy than poor Misaki here!

Creatable world - gender inclusive doll + Misaki by Sarah, on Flickr

Creatable world - gender inclusive doll by Sarah, on Flickr

I love the packaging too.  It is sure to drive the alt right into a complete rage  :lol: :lol:

Untitled by Sarah, on Flickr
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 12:52:55 PM by Galactica »

Offline sailorstitch

• Trade Count: (+94)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Instagram @sailorstitch
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2019, 01:00:32 PM »
I want to get one of these sometime to support the line. But I would be beyond shocked if the Wal-Mart in my conservative small town stocked them.

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2019, 12:02:13 PM »
What a great idea!

Really interesting how you can customise the doll to get the "look" you want, be it androgynous or traditionally male or female.  :)

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2019, 02:05:22 PM »
I want to get one of these sometime to support the line. But I would be beyond shocked if the Wal-Mart in my conservative small town stocked them.

Nobody is seeing them in any of the stores yet- as far as I know of- it makes me wonder if both Target and Walmart are offering them online only...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal