collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How do you recolor your customs?  (Read 3428 times)

Offline littletulula

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Smoozed Pony
  • what am i doing
    • View Profile
    • My Art Portfolio
How do you recolor your customs?
« on: September 25, 2019, 09:43:47 AM »
Hey guys. I recently acquired some g3 ponies that I want to customize. I've never done customs before, but as an art student I figured it couldn't be too difficult. However, I've been having some trouble. I was painting her with acrylic paint, as it's what I had on hand, but I realized it was kind of streaky and you could see the brush strokes, which I didn't like. I also tried to blend a gradient down her legs, but it was really difficult to create a clean blend with the acrylic paint. So, this got me wondering, how do you guys paint your customs? Do you do it by hand with acrylic paint, do you spray paint them, dye them, or something else? And if you have any other advice for a beginner, I'd love to hear it. Thanks!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Signature drawn by me! www.july.gay
Commissions are open! Check my Website for details

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: How do you recolor your customs?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 10:48:34 AM »
It may depend on what kind of acrylic paint you're using.  Craft paint designed for wood/plaster/porcelain projects will go on differently than "art" paint for canvases and both go on differently than model paints designed for plastic/metal models.  I'm currently trying some custom Cutie Mark Crew figures with Testor's brand model paint (I find mine at Hobby Lobby) and it seems to smooth itself out nicely.  I've seen others recommend watering the paint down and doing multiple thin layers to avoid streaking.  Some people have had a lot of success with an airbrush.  It may take a couple of tries before you find what works best for you.  I've also found that the type of paintbrush can make a difference in the streaking.  I do not recommend camel hair at all, it's too stiff.  I personally prefer nylon/synthetic bristles when I use acrylics.

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 10:53:02 AM »
I airbrush my ponies with Vallejo air sealer, the use Vallejo air acrylic paints

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline RoseNoire

• Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2019, 11:08:44 AM »
I use thin layers of acrylic paint, a bit watered down and then coat it with matte varnish a couple of times. As for the gradients, I dry-brushed them with acrylics as well, being careful and using very light layers building up.
I'm not very experienced yet, but I guess you can achieve decent results even if you're on a budget. At least when you're starting out. I guess it lets you experiment.
The real key is patience and gentleness.

I plan on trying out chalk pastels for my next projects, see how it works and builds up. Hope that will make nice gradients. ^^

Here are my customs as an example, they all have been full-body painted. Hope that helps !

« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 11:21:23 AM by RoseNoire »
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 01:06:24 PM »
Mostly it takes practice. Using many (many, many) thin layers helps. Some people have good luck using make-up sponges to paint rather than brushes. As far gradients, try dry brushing them. You'll get the hang of it eventually :)

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline BubbleTea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • Must Collect Horses
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 09:37:11 PM »
Water down the paint! (If you're using acrylics). You're gonna have to be patient though because it may take many coats.
Sigs by SquarePeg and starrynights
:nerdy: :nerdy: :nerdy:

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2019, 05:01:08 AM »
Like everyone said, acrylic paints are the way to go, but there are differences between brands and - most of all - it takes some practice to get smooth results! Especially if you're using traditional brushes rather than an airbrush. You can also dye ponies with RIT dye but it's not an unproblematic method either.

I prime my ponies with gesso before painting them, this helps with coverage and the paint will stick better. In my experience, craft grade acrylics (Folk Art, Ceramcoat, Vallejo, Game Color, Citadel etc.) are often better for full body repaints than artist grade acrylics which can be more sticky, but personally I use a mix of everything depending on availability. For white, Folk Art is definitely my favourite, though! (Somehow I always end up painting ponies white...)

I like to use a fan-shaped synthetic brush which helps the paint go on smoothly. It's also great for gradients, although I do the finishing touches with a soft, round brush using the dry-brushing technique BlackCurtains mentioned. But to be frank, it's almost impossible to get perfectly smooth results using paintbrushes and sponges, there will always be a bit of texture even if you can avoid visible brush strokes. And while you can do gradients, you can't replicate the look of soft aibrushed gradients except with chalk pastels perhaps. If factory perfect is the look you require, you may need to invest in an airbrush. :)

Here are some examples of my customs with gradients, done with nothing but paintbrushes. You can see how the surface is slightly textured.
https://haawan.webs.com/OctoberNights_kollaasi.jpg
https://haawan.webs.com/talvenmarja_kollaasi.jpg
Good luck! :art:

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline starbritesprinkles

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • The Lyrical Vault | she/her/hers
    • View Profile
    • StarbriteSprinkles
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2019, 05:59:41 PM »
I use Apple Barrel acrylics, mostly. Watered down and sprayed on with an airbrush. Before I bought my cheap, single-action Aztek airbrush, I did them by hand with a dry brush using short back-and-forth strokes. These twins were done that way.

I used sponges for this gradient.

Offline Snuzzle76

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile

Offline Blackness

• Secret Surprise Pony
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page:
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2019, 01:06:05 AM »
I'm terrible at full-body repaints - unsure if it's a lack of patience or skill (probably both)!!

I get around this problem by choosing baits that are already a colour which I want. It's difficult sometimes, I have an abundance of pink bait ponies and finding specific baits in green or yellow is harder but it'll have to do until I get enough spare cash for an airbrush!

I've seen some ponies which have been dyed and they look amazing - but heard too many horror stories of the colour fading over time and uneven coverage, depending on the state of the plastic. It would be so sad to make an amazing custom only to have parts of it fade over time - especially if you're selling them.

I read somewhere recently that creating a gradient look is easier with a make-up sponge?? Picked up one from Kmart the other day for about $2 and I plan to have a go on my next project, if I ever finish my current one that is lol...

Everybody seems to have their own particular way of customising though, keep at it and you'll find something that works for you :satisfied: Acetone will take any paint off so if you don't like it you can always clean it off and start again :biggrin:

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2019, 07:49:18 AM »
Whatever you do, just don't use nail polish!

Sig by Starscout <3

Online Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2019, 12:56:23 PM »
I always use Citadel, watered down, (or other miniature gaming type acrylic paints.) for both symbols/eyes and full body repaints. I used to use americana acrylics (also craft acrylics), and they work, but need a lot of watering down. I also do a lot of thin layers.

Whatever you do, just don't use nail polish!

This! Nail polish isn't made to last, and won't age well on a pony.

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline Darkhorse

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • Customizing Crazzzyyynesssss
    • View Profile
    • www.darkhorsecustommylittleponies.com
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2019, 09:10:58 AM »
I use RIT Dye or I airbrush ;)

Offline Blackness

• Secret Surprise Pony
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page:
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2019, 10:28:56 PM »

I have often wondered how you achieved such brilliant colour results with your ponies Darkhorse!!

Do you use RIT Dyemore? I've never tried it because of all the horror stories but looking at your work makes me sooooo tempted!! Have you experienced many issues with fading, uneven coverage etc?

I also wonder if dying a G3 pony is better than G1, if the older plastic and age spots would struggle to hold the colour?

Offline Darkhorse

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • Customizing Crazzzyyynesssss
    • View Profile
    • www.darkhorsecustommylittleponies.com
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2019, 08:21:30 AM »

I have often wondered how you achieved such brilliant colour results with your ponies Darkhorse!!

Do you use RIT Dyemore? I've never tried it because of all the horror stories but looking at your work makes me sooooo tempted!! Have you experienced many issues with fading, uneven coverage etc?

I also wonder if dying a G3 pony is better than G1, if the older plastic and age spots would struggle to hold the colour?

I rarely use dye as you just can't predict how well the pony will accept the dye.  When dyeing you have to make certain that any left over paint or glue is gone or those areas won't dye properly.  Typically I only dye Sparkle Ponies as I want to be able to see the glitter in the mold, everything else with an unusual color I airbrush, especially black ponies ;)

dyed ;0)

« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 08:29:35 AM by Darkhorse »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal