collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hallowe'en 2019 Costume Questions  (Read 2789 times)

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
Hallowe'en 2019 Costume Questions
« on: September 21, 2019, 08:54:17 AM »
So, I don't know if I will be working on Hallowe'en (but hope I am!) and last year there was a costume contest. For the first time in well over a decade, I want to damn well dress up, and I have an idea of what to go as.

I plan to go as a version of an Imperitor from Mad Max: Fury Road. I won't be going as Furiosa herself; more like a VERSION of an Imperitor, as Furiosa wasn't the only Imperitor in the film (there's the Prime Imperitor for a start, plus the Ripsaw Imperitor). I'm geting ideas about what bits and bobs to use, how to put something together that is suitably Mad Max-esque while allowing for the fact I am very overweight (my 'backstory' is that I was a Breeder/Milk Mother who could no longer do the role and became an Imperitor, similar to the fan theory that Furiosa was a Wife before finding out she was infertile and became an Imperitor instead).

The main thing I am asking is about facepaint; I NEVER wear makeup in my every day life, so this is where I need experts. Imperitors in the film have the top of the head and eyes covered with greasepaint, as opposed to the War Boys who only darken their eyes but also have white facepaint to resemble skulls. There's a tidemark around the cheekbone area, and the entire head is coated in black. Now, I shave my head to a mohawk, so that I can easily work with. What do you recommend I use that is safe to use on exposed scalp and hair? Also pointers on what to use to give my arms and neck random smudges of dirt without using coffee would be appreciated!

Also, for fabric, how do I dirty cream or white fabrics to, again, look like I live in a sandy and dirty world where water is so precious it's not used for washing?

EDIT: I was thinking just using this https://www.xs-stock.co.uk/foundation-halloween-makeup-face-painting-party-accessory/ Since I dont' want to invest in extreme quality things when it will be a one-off event
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 08:57:43 AM by Lady Frostbite »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Hallowe'en 2019 Costume Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 09:48:09 AM »
I have no advice but what country are you in? Just so any suggestions could be easily avaliable in your country rather than US exclusive or something.
For fabric I'm thinking maybe some coffee stains just to give it a dingy look...

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 12:07:10 PM »
I have no advice but what country are you in? Just so any suggestions could be easily avaliable in your country rather than US exclusive or something.
For fabric I'm thinking maybe some coffee stains just to give it a dingy look...

Yes, fill a spritzer bottle with either coffee or tea and mist it over the fabric to stain it.  ;)

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2019, 03:35:18 PM »
I'm in the UK!

Ooo I see, that would work okay, as it would be safe to use.

I'm also thinking of adding little embellishments to my costume; a baby bottle attached to a chain to go on my belt loop and a battered little cow toy, both to point to my imaginary Breeder backstory (Rictus takes a drink of Mother's Milk in the film and nods, saying 'moo' to his father, so it's a nod to that)

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 01:46:56 PM »
Okay I got some face cream from Tescos, and I want to talk about my costume ... could I get a Mad Max fan to read and give thoughts?

And could someone who has worked with make-up give me tips, I've never used make-up ever  :P I need to apply this cream around my face, particularly around my eyes, like this:

(A behind the scenes image)

I am thinking a makeup sponge would be more effective?

Offline LovelyLittlePony

• Mighty Morphin Power Pony
  • :3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 11:09:30 AM »
Every year when I do my festive looks I use the NYX Jumbo Eye Pencils for this kind of stuff. They're very inexpensive (about $4.50 USD) and easy to use and I think they would be perfect for your look, I'd get the color "Black Bean".

Draw it on first and use a cheap makeup sponge to blend it out, a little goes a long way! And once it sets it shouldn't move around, just  don't touch it too much after. And you'll need a makeup pencil sharpener for it but those are also very inexpensive (about $2.00 USD). And because this is a makeup product it shouldn't be too hard to remove, makeup remover or coconut oil should do the trick but because the color you're using is black it might take awhile lol.

Best of luck!

Online Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2019, 08:22:30 AM »
Before you wear the costume, do a patch test if the creme is some sort of Halloween makeup! those kinds of makeup cremes can make you have a skin reaction, and while I guess that wouldn't necessarily ruin a mad max look, it might not be too comfortable for you. ;)
Makeup sponge - yes! they're easy to blend with. the best kinds of sponges IMO are beauty blenders (or something that's the same shape - they're a bit pricey for a one time thing!), slightly damp. H&M usually have bb lookalikes for less, and I'm sure Boots do to :)

I second using something like the NYX jumbos, in case the cream feels like it won't work out :) good luck!
(oh, and do a longevity test of the creme on a piece of skin that does get greasy. if it's a grease paint style creme, it might end up just settling in fine lines etc - in that case I'd suggest some sort of skin primer! Nyx have fairly cheap ones, and places like glambot.com sell things at a discount :) )
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 08:24:07 AM by Shaiyeh »

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2019, 03:21:47 PM »
So I did a brief make-up test.
I'm either going to look amazing tomorrow, or like an absolute tit.

Putting on Mad Max again to see exactly where they put the black face paint. Furiosa's paint seems softer and the other Imperitors seem to have darker paint

EDIT: I double-checked, using both the Imperitors that are at Joe's side, plus the Imperitor that's serving Corpus Colossus (Joe's son, mans the telescope). It seems that there is a bridge of colour at the very top of the nose, where glasses would sit, and only a small line of colour under each eye. The male Imperitors seem to have pretty thick, black paint and Furiosa's is lighter (probably so it looks more natural when she rubs/sweats it off during the course of the film). I wanted to see what the difference was between high-ranked War Boys and Imperitors, since WAr Boys seem to do the half-skull paint. War Boys are painted white, and senior War Boys it looks like are the ones with the black half-skulls, like the man talking to Furiosa who relays her orders down the line, and the one who salutes the Witnessed War Boy while the others cheer.

Imperitors don't do the pale makeup, they're very obviously tanned, and have the black bandana around their neck, which I have. I'll be spray-painting my hair black to complete the look, as I got the impression that the entire scalp of an Imperitor was black, but the male Imperitors merely cover the front half of the head; the back is clean.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 03:35:17 PM by Lady Frostbite »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal