collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Retro G1's... Retro G3's... what happened to G2?  (Read 3136 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Retro G1's... Retro G3's... what happened to G2?
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2019, 12:11:54 AM »
Probably because there was no "main six" whereas g3 did.  G2 was also waaay less popular and they'd probably like to forget it. Maybe they should release it in Europe again since they seemed to sell well there.  :biggrin: 
I never got into g2 but I know a lot of people adore it. I guess it depends on the market for it.

They did have main characters if I'm not mistaken, Sweetberry, Ivy, Sunsparkle and Light Heart.

Yeah. And G3 didn't go down the core path with intensity till much later in the line, although they did have second and third versions of some characters, because the G3 line was more saturated with new and different characters than early G2 was. G2 really becomes interesting after the US stopped releasing them, but there is still repetition. Sunsparkle is just the European name for Sundance, not a different pony.

The core group idea exists even in G1 because of the tales ponies, even though it doesn't get a chance to take off and nauseate us, but the expectation that that is why a line does or doesn't do well is anachronistic. Until the end of G3 and particularly with G4, this was absolutely not a key tenet of MLP promotion.

In fact, the retro G3 that Hasbro have chosen to bring out now are more on the lines of their relationship to the G4 mane six, not a reflection of any repetitive strategy within G3. Again, an anachronism.

I am really not fond of people retrospectively judging previous generations because of how G4 did things :/
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2019, 05:34:15 AM »
I don't see why anyone these days would have an issue with how G2 looked when other companies did ponies that... were really on the thin side as well..

Mostly I'm looking at the ponies for the Shoppies in Shopkins. I don't know how popular they are but they are way worse in some of the looks department xD

I really wish BF would pick up G2 even if it was just for one or two releases.
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline caseysealia

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Retro G1\'s... Retro G3\'s... what happened to G2?
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2019, 06:45:44 AM »
Probably because there was no "main six" whereas g3 did.  G2 was also waaay less popular and they'd probably like to forget it. Maybe they should release it in Europe again since they seemed to sell well there.  :biggrin: 
I never got into g2 but I know a lot of people adore it. I guess it depends on the market for it.

They did have main characters if I'm not mistaken, Sweetberry, Ivy, Sunsparkle and Light Heart.
Unfortunately Hasbro never really went anywhere with them later (besides Sweetberry!) Which is sad because I do enjoy their designs. G3 probably only came back because they had almost all of the pre-main six in that gen.

Post Merge: September 22, 2019, 06:57:59 AM

Yeah. And G3 didn't go down the core path with intensity till much later in the line, although they did have second and third versions of some characters, because the G3 line was more saturated with new and different characters than early G2 was. G2 really becomes interesting after the US stopped releasing them, but there is still repetition. Sunsparkle is just the European name for Sundance, not a different pony.

The core group idea exists even in G1 because of the tales ponies, even though it doesn't get a chance to take off and nauseate us, but the expectation that that is why a line does or doesn't do well is anachronistic. Until the end of G3 and particularly with G4, this was absolutely not a key tenet of MLP promotion.

In fact, the retro G3 that Hasbro have chosen to bring out now are more on the lines of their relationship to the G4 mane six, not a reflection of any repetitive strategy within G3. Again, an anachronism.

I am really not fond of people retrospectively judging previous generations because of how G4 did things :/
Yes it seems they don't do as hot when they start to get repetitive. I don't think kids nor adults/collectors want the same pony released over and over. I'm sick of buying G4 sets for there to be yet ANOTHER Twilight Sparkle among it, even my mom was always annoyed growing up as it was just"one more Twilight Sparkle to deal with" as I already had an army in the sell bin.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 06:57:59 AM by caseysealia »

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2019, 08:02:00 AM »
G2 did so poorly in the US, the primary market, so I'm not surprised.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2019, 11:15:20 AM »
G2 did so poorly in the US, the primary market, so I'm not surprised.

Ironically My Little Pony has lasted longest in Europe in the three previous generations (94-5 in G1, 2003 in G2, and right up to and through early G4, albeit that may also be true for the US, genuinely don't know...)

Yet Hasbro still are a US company and thus will always cater to the US market :/ A sad but true irony.

Not that I expect G4 to continue longer in Europe except maybe with shelf sitting, as, you know, most of the originality of the line died a long time ago.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 11:18:33 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2019, 12:07:57 PM »
G4s have already almost entirely disappeared from the shops around here, I think it's really just The Entertainer that's getting new stuff at this point. What's left is mostly just old stock (and I still see those damned Halloween blind bags around sometimes).

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2019, 12:12:39 PM »
G4s have already almost entirely disappeared from the shops around here, I think it's really just The Entertainer that's getting new stuff at this point. What's left is mostly just old stock (and I still see those damned Halloween blind bags around sometimes).

I think those blind bags are now fused to the shelf and are part of the display, rather than on sale. Seriously.

Recently the singing Songbird showed up in Entertainer.

Otherwise the stuff they have they have had for ages. I know an Entertainer where you can still get Rainbow Rocks EQG dolls :D Yay.

I did manage to pick up the muffin pony and roseluck mini figures though from my Entertainer the other day. I quite like some of those and it was nice to see them as I never had seen them in the UK before. Also Sunset Shimmer, which tells you everything since there hasn't been a version of her as a mini without the sushi parlour on sale in stores here in several years. Yet I still found her...

So I can see the G4 stock becoming part of the furniture. Mind you I did once find a bed and crib set (G1) in Birmingham TRU in 2000 or 2001, so...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline EnaRocketQueen

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Princess of Equestria <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2019, 02:40:56 AM »

I saw a couple of the Water Cuties in an independent toy store yesterday. I'm sure they came out years ago

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2019, 11:47:21 AM »
You guys even still have ponies in your stores?  My locals sold out years ago and didn't reorder, or so it would seem.  Anyone want some of those bagged ponies from forever ago?

Offline freezestime

• Forever and Always the Prom Queen
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2019, 08:23:39 AM »
All of my local targets and kmarts and stuff have little to none toys on the shelf. The only places that have stock is places like Mr Toys Toyworld, Toymate and sometimes Big W/Myer.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal