collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Retro G1's... Retro G3's... what happened to G2?  (Read 3135 times)

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
Retro G1's... Retro G3's... what happened to G2?
« on: September 20, 2019, 10:17:50 PM »
Wouldn't it have been lovely if they released a G2 line? But these seem to have been forgotten!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Retro G1's... Retro G3's... what happened to G2?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 10:30:48 PM »
Maybe they will if G2 fans put a bug in BF's ear? 
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Ragamuffin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 10:41:03 PM »
BuT tHeY'rE sO uGlY! ThEy DoN't LoOk LiKe My LiTtLe PoNiEs At AlL!!!!!!!!

(Sarcasm btw :P)

It would be nice to see them because G2 was my very first gen, but I don't know if there would be a market... There are collectors who want G1s, some who want G3s, but who wants G2s other than a handful of people? It's the least popular generation...

I'd be into even some merch with G2 ponies on it. Like a shirt or a new colouring book, whatever. The G2 art is so cute and we probably won't see it again...

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2019, 10:53:43 PM »
Yeah, to build off what Ragamuffin said, the American market is the main one that Basic Fun / Hasbro can count on.  As in, they can be pretty sure of getting their products in certain American stores because they have long, established relationships with them. And G2 absolutely bombed in the US.  (Personally I think they could have started out with some flashier ponies.  G2 Morning Glory and Petal Blossom in particular baffle me because they're both pink and purple ponies with generic flower symbols.  Why two samey-samey ponies in your starting line up?  Replace one with a green pony with, I don't know, a rabbit on her butt or something.)

"Hey, want to carry these ponies that hardly anyone in the entire United States remembers?" is not a very convincing sales pitch.  They also have a lot of unique accessories.  And it costs about as much to make a mold for an accessory as it does for a "big" toy (a pony).

I don't know how independent Hasbro UK, Hasbro France, etc are these days, but if they ever do localized products then that's where it would make sense to release retro G2s . . . The places where they were selling like crazy.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline freezestime

• Forever and Always the Prom Queen
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Retro G1\'s... Retro G3\'s... what happened to G2?
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2019, 10:56:30 PM »
AaAAAA YES I would love G2 remakes! Maybe remake the most popular characters instead of the main 4? (Ivy, Sweetberry, Sunsparkle and Light Heart) But as others have said, it's super unlikely!

The most likely thing is a fan line like HQG1C but for G2!!

Post Merge: September 20, 2019, 11:01:28 PM

Yeah, to build off what Ragamuffin said, the American market is the main one that Basic Fun / Hasbro can count on.  As in, they can be pretty sure of getting their products in certain American stores because they have long, established relationships with them. And G2 absolutely bombed in the US.  (Personally I think they could have started out with some flashier ponies.  G2 Morning Glory and Petal Blossom in particular baffle me because they're both pink and purple ponies with generic flower symbols.  Why two samey-samey ponies in your starting line up?  Replace one with a green pony with, I don't know, a rabbit on her butt or something.)

"Hey, want to carry these ponies that hardly anyone in the entire United States remembers?" is not a very convincing sales pitch.  They also have a lot of unique accessories.  And it costs about as much to make a mold for an accessory as it does for a "big" toy (a pony).

I don't know how independent Hasbro UK, Hasbro France, etc are these days, but if they ever do localized products then that's where it would make sense to release retro G2s . . . The places where they were selling like crazy.

I agree with that statement! Maybe it'd be a good idea to release in France and other areas it was successful!

Maybe have an option to buy internationally on their website?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 11:01:28 PM by freezestime »

Offline hilamb

• Myrskyisä yö poni
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2019, 11:19:59 PM »
Yeahaah, they forgot G2.   :whoa:

Thank you :heart:

Offline Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2019, 04:02:56 AM »
I can see how a g2 retro release wouldn't be successful, but what they should do is a generation pack with a g1, a g2 and a g3, or something like that.
I'd have been all over a g2 retro release, though. I love g2's!

Thanks Ragamuffin for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2019, 06:20:40 AM »
I would love G2 rereleases! G2s are so beautiful and it would be great to have a chance to buy some of the Europe only ones here in the US.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline caseysealia

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2019, 06:26:27 AM »
Probably because there was no "main six" whereas g3 did.  G2 was also waaay less popular and they'd probably like to forget it. Maybe they should release it in Europe again since they seemed to sell well there.  :biggrin: 
I never got into g2 but I know a lot of people adore it. I guess it depends on the market for it.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2019, 06:58:33 AM »
See idk if it'd even do that well over here. I remember at least one Ponycon where G2 items were auctioned off and there was a complete dialtone response from the crowd, whereas the G1/G4 stuff were selling like crazy. As much as I absolutely love and adore G2, I have to admit that I can see that they'd be a risk. Especially since they'd need totally new molds and everything.

I mean... where's all the G2 fan stuff? G1's got HQG1C, G4's got millions of fan stuff (look at the custom plushie market!)... G3 hasn't exactly got either of those, but I still see a lot of G3 customs.. I rarely ever see stuff like that for G2. There's a clear market for the other gens, but is there one for G2? People really only started asking after it when the G3 repros showed up...

Maybe if we show them there's at least *some* interest for G2, they could make some sort of set to test the waters... maybe a SDCC exclusive? something limited enough that they could feasibly make a short run of one mold or w/e. I could see them doing something like that. I really like the idea of having a multi-gen set, too. Now that would be *awesome*.

I just wish *someone* would show G2 some love, damn it! D: I saw a magazine featuring G2s a while ago, but that was by accident rather than design (poorly written/researched article on "1980s My Little Pony") so idk if that counts.. /ramble

(Is G2 really the least popular gen, though? I thought that was G3.5. I guess it depends on if you count G3.5 as a separate gen or not, though.)

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2019, 07:07:47 AM »
what happened to G2?
Middle generation syndrome.
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2019, 02:27:57 PM »
Regarding the Hasbros - it seems like there's a Hasbro Europe and a Hasbro UK and they are both in the UK but in different places. I think the first is in London and the second is in Wales, which is where I wrote to years ago. But there doesn't seem to be any creative intelligence in either one in the borg of My Little Pony any more. Whereas in the past I wrote to Hasbro UK and got actual letters and information and helpful stuff back, now you get a copy paste message that doesn't really answer your question. Which is pretty much what I got from Hasbro US in 1996ish when I wrote to them (draw your own conclusions about that, obv. MLP was long since gone at that point).

I remember writing to Hasbro again in the early 2000s about G3 and again got an intelligent response by a human being who cared to give actual information about what was coming out here next.

I dunno wtf they mean by having both a Hasbro UK and Hasbro Europe, to be quite honest. And having them here seems like a bit of a joke. But some of the G4 that came out in Europe never made it to the whole of the UK (I'm dubious if some of them ever made it to the UK at all, honestly), so I'd suggest very little if any independence now.

The death knell for me was when they allowed the name Princess Sparkle to appear on the dollymix ponies and subsequent franchise projects.

It's hard to know with European countries because in G1 they were all very separate, especially in the early years, though still somewhat interconnected. They became more aligned as G1 went on and trade rules changed, but we can't lump Europe together into one blob when talking about G2 since it kind of had a different length of release in different places. I believe France was the last outpost..?

In any case, nothing retro will ever happen that wasn't first sold in the US. And when it happens, it will happen in the same packaging across the world, with the US name, the US design, the US accessories, etc. Basic Fun has proven that, as LM said. We have 'Pretty Parlor' in stores here at the moment. That's neither the right name for the toy nor the right spelling of Parlour for a British audience. Let's not even begin on the language of product for countries where English isn't a first language (though G1 in the Norse countries were often in English packages).

...That means we won't ever have retro G2. Because the US gave up on them too quickly, and Hasbro have conveniently forgotten they exist. And to make it worse, the idiot brony army decided to tag MLP Tales as G2, hence making the real G2 swallowed into non-existence forever.

Basically.

@Carrehz - G2 has always been niche. I think SpacePinto might have also nailed it -it suffers not so much from being the middle generation, but being the thing to follow G1. Because at that time there was only one 'My Little Pony' and when G2 happened, for a lot of people that wasn't it. And while I'm not saying that the collector angst about it is the reason it was cancelled, I imagine a lot of parents/kids out shopping didn't identify with it as 'My Little Pony' and so it didn't do as well as it could have.

But you're right. The lack of an animated show in the modern age of digital clips and youtube and such also is a downside for G2 as a whole. I'm not sure if it needs retro releases, but then I don't think G3 should have them yet either. So..yeah.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Shadowperla

• Secret Surprise Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2019, 05:23:43 PM »
Aw, Taffeta, that's so sad to hear :(

But I can confirm g2 being unpopular/not known even here - I was getting ponies from a woman (non-collector), and she had most priced and id'd, but g2 lumped with fakies (...I got 9 and some cute non-g2-y fakes for like 6 euro that way, but...).

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2019, 06:23:37 PM »
To be honest, I'm not really itching for G2 retros either, but then again I'm not that much of a reproduction person in general - my opinion is sort of, if they exist then that's nice, if they don't, that's okay too. If that makes sense?

I'm just tired of G2 getting left out all the time, lol. And honestly I feel like everyone else (or at least most people) feel like that, too, and that's where the recent "hey what about G2 repros?" posts have come from - not really because any of us want them, but because... well, the other gens got them. (Er, which is not to say I don't think anyone here wouldn't buy G2 repros, but... it feels like that's what's spurred this on. If that makes sense. idk how to word it >_> I mean, if G1/G3 didn't have repros, I don't think this thread would exist, for example.)

Offline freezestime

• Forever and Always the Prom Queen
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2019, 11:20:35 PM »
Probably because there was no "main six" whereas g3 did.  G2 was also waaay less popular and they'd probably like to forget it. Maybe they should release it in Europe again since they seemed to sell well there.  :biggrin: 
I never got into g2 but I know a lot of people adore it. I guess it depends on the market for it.

They did have main characters if I'm not mistaken, Sweetberry, Ivy, Sunsparkle and Light Heart.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal