collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: FiM S9 E20 "A horse shoe in"  (Read 2984 times)

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
FiM S9 E20 "A horse shoe in"
« on: September 18, 2019, 01:41:58 PM »
I like all Starlight eps (yes, even the one where she is a bad Mr. Scrooge stand-in  :P) so I am biased.

Trixie expects Starlight to give her a certain position at the School of Friendship just because she is friends with Starlight while Starlight herself wants to find the best pony for the job based on an audition process.

Spoiler
It was obvious none of the auditioning ponies would get the job, that was the big weak point about the episode for me. It would have been a bit more impactful if Sunburst had been considered from the start and Trixie was competing with him.
But I liked it regardless.

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
Re: FiM S9 E20 "A horse shoe in"
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 06:28:03 PM »
Spoiler
Actually, you would think Starlight would have him towards the top of her list.  I guess she figured he was too busy being the Royal Crystaler.  Still, she could have at least given him a call for references if nothing else since he had connections in the academic community.  But then, we wouldn't have an episode crammed with brony favorites.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 09:10:34 AM »
Spoiler
Actually, you would think Starlight would have him towards the top of her list.  I guess she figured he was too busy being the Royal Crystaler.  Still, she could have at least given him a call for references if nothing else since he had connections in the academic community.  But then, we wouldn't have an episode crammed with brony favorites.

Spoiler
Why the heck was Spoiled Milk-Rich there is my question. Is she somehow a fave? :lol:

Also, in case some of you are holding back comments because you don't want to sound negative... I hereby allow you to be negative as well as positive in this very thread of mine :P

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 10:21:01 AM »
Starlight Glimmer should be a princess instead of Twilight, change my mind.

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 01:45:57 PM »
She's was a cult leader and terrorist.  Though, Twilight's resume isn't exactly glowing, even compared to that.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 01:51:16 PM »
She's was a cult leader

Dictator, in her own words ;)

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 02:07:03 PM »
I haven't seen it, might skip it unless I stumble across it in Netflix binging.
Man, I wish this season had more interesting eps. I love the StarTrix dynamic but we should have had some uh. Better eps.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline AvianWing

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2019, 11:11:23 PM »
I thought it was a good episode, even though I really dislike the school overall and pretty much anything to do with it. It was a fun episode regardless.

Offline lonewolf

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Lyra the dance master
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart account
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2019, 03:13:16 AM »
I think this sums up the episode:  :P

https://www.deviantart.com/dan232323/art/The-Great-and-Powerful-WINK-806818291

I do like how they took Trixie from a minor villain with 2  episodes and over the last few seasons developed her into a likable character.

I'm the D to the E to the --- and no filly's got the moves like my big wall eyes. I'm De---licious.
Listen to this song while watching my sig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTi11bFNdMs :P

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2019, 04:54:16 AM »
I do like how they took Trixie from a minor villain with 2  episodes and over the last few seasons developed her into a likable character.

Yep, Trixie is a good example on how you do fan favorite well. It also helps they broke her away from always hanging out with all fan faves, which is the worst to me (the music ponies share a house, Muffin and Whooves are friends, Lyra and BonbonDrops are a couple, etc...)

Her friendship to Starlight was also introduced really well with Starlight having to make friends and meeting Trixie by chance, realizing they have lots in common.
Add the little bit of meta when both of them tried to reform the changeling guy and they told him proudly that they are both reformed villains and understand his motivations :lol:
I just really got to enjoy Trixie together with Starlight.
Starlight in general was the best reformed villain to me because she was shown to be actively remorseful over and over again, trying to better herself and failing but still kept her slightly snarky personality. She wasn't turned into a doormat like Sunset Shimmer. Sunset and Starlight had also great chemistry in that one EqG special and I wish they would have met more often.
Two ex-evils trying to do the right thing, add in Trixie and you got three. They were always such a nice break from the "our friendship is the core of Equestria's future" M6.

In my never dying hopes for G5 I wish they'd have Sunset, Starlight and Trixie back as a trio of friends and mix species a little. I'd be happy. Sunset would make for a great pegasus, Starlight could be magically talented Earth and Trixie, a unicorn who makes up for low magic with her shows. Perfect replacement for the Cutie Matk Crusaders :P
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 04:56:06 AM by Zapper »

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2019, 10:14:03 AM »
The ending cracked me up, I gotta say. I still don't like the whole "Twilight replacing the Royal Sisters" plot but Sunburst, Trixie and Starlight running the school makes sense - personally, I think they should've done that from the start. The mane 6 are way too busy with their careers to be believably teaching/running a school. But hey, better late than never!

Now they just need to hire Sunset, Moondancer and Fizzlepop to the school staff.
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2019, 02:05:49 PM »
Now they just need to hire Sunset, Moondancer and Fizzlepop to the school staff.

Moondancer would make way more sense than auditioning
Spoiler
Mrs. MoneyIsEverything

Speaking of Miss Fizzlepop "Tempest" Berrytwist... it's a shame they didn't bring her back for an episode. They could have just gotten a different voice actress. I still want to know her cutiemark :P
Spoiler
Girl was wearing a body covering in that final episode so they probably never thought of giving her one.

Offline TJgamer

• Colorswirl Pony
  • An open-minded adventurer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2019, 05:47:28 PM »
This week we learn about nepotism.  ^.^

And I guess the solution in "Student Counsel" was rather short-lived.  :huh:

I had fun with this episode, but I have a few nitpicks.
I'm still not on board with Big Mac's two word vocabulary, Trixie was a little too oblivious, and Starlight learning the moral at the end was hard to swallow. I dunno, but seeing Twilight smug like that always rubbed me the wrong way. Also, seriously, was Sunburst's role of "crystaller" ever explained?

It was pretty cool to see Doctor Whooves (coughtimeturnercough) and Octavia have speaking roles again. Though I felt the explanation for their dropping out of the hiring process was weak.

Starlight is still very likable, and I just loved her cutesy voice she was giving to Phyllis.  :P
And it really is admirable to see Trixie stand up to Grandpa Gruff like that. Gallus needs the support.
They: You're too old to watch that show!
Me: Can't hear ya, I'm asleep.

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2019, 08:04:02 AM »
It was pretty cool to see Doctor Whooves (coughtimeturnercough) and Octavia have speaking roles again.

Kazumi Evans aka Rarity's singing voice and leader of the Dazzlings was Octavia and it made me sad she only did a bit part. I love her voice and would have loved to hear her more often, not just as Rarity. She's got such a beautiful voice, seriously I am fangirling this woman.

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2019, 11:54:58 AM »
Spoiler
Okay Trixie was annoying with all the WINKs she was doing. Starlight was just really bad at picking candidates. It's like she didn't even bother to look at what they did. Also, what kind of counselor talks to a plant? Each week it seems like they're proving more and more why the school does NOT need to exist.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal