collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Spanish babies  (Read 2991 times)

Offline Leikin

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/
Spanish babies
« on: September 13, 2019, 03:46:16 AM »
I was searching for something completly different, but came upon this thread, which I found quite interesting. Maybe this has all been straightened out since its a very old thread.

What did intruige me was this post from Lady Pinwheel:

Baby Lemon Drop: NC
Baby Tiddley-winks: NC
Baby Bowtie: NC
Baby Licketysplit: Spain
Baby Ribbon: Spain
Baby Moondancer: Spain
Baby Hearthrob: Spain

And the baby Gusty sold yesterday was marked Spain too.

In the Spanish forum we have a Baby Bowtie marked Spain.

My theory is that the NC ponies can also be found with the Spain mark depending if the came in blister or in playset. And on the other hand, the ponies from the "Canastilla"set (Ribbon, Licketysplit, Moondancer,  Hearthrob and Gusty) are all marked Spain.

That the Canastilla ponies are all marked spain (lickety Split, Ribbon, Gusty and Heart Throb) are notsuprising, but the carded Babies, with Moondancer, Lemon Drop, Bowtie and Tiddlywinks seems to differ.

Both Lemon Drop and Bowtie where sold both on card, and in box with stroller. As stated above, Bow tie seems to come both with NC and Spain markings? (I Think mine is NC, but dont have her at hand to look), so that could be one in either package maybe?  But I dont Think I have ever Heard of a spain marked baby Lemon Drop? I know the boxed one (at least the one sold here) was NC, but I dont have my carded one at hand to look at, but I'm pretty sure she is a NC as well.
So why would they make a differense in the carded vs boxed one with one of them, but not the other?
How about the timeline here. Where both Lemon Drop and Bowtie with stroller available at the same time, or did they come out in different years?  And did the carded Babies come out at the same time, or when where they available?

And how about Tiddlywinks? Have anyone Heard of a Spain marked version of her? Did she come with the Nursery as well as on card?

And why on Earth is Moondancer marked Spain, whereas the others seems not to be, if they are from the same set? Or is there a NC version of her too?
Wanted: MOC Geman baby Lemon Drop, MIB baby Lemon Drop with purple stroller, MOC Rainbow Confetti, MOC Euro(NSS) Buttons, ,  and UK carded rainbow ponies.
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,391446.0.html
Follow me and my Collection at https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
Re: Spanish babies
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 05:43:06 PM »
Hmm Lady Pinwheel is on to something. She messaged me a while back and we had a discussion about the babies, specifically the difference between the carded/stroller versions on Baby Lemondrop and Baby Bowtie.

I just had a look at my two Spanish Babies, Baby Lickety is indeed marked Spain and Baby Tiddlywinks is NC. I got both in a lot which was a childhood collection. This includes the Spanish stable and nursery.

I’m sad right now as the nirvana gallery isn’t working and I can’t check what is in the Spain babies section as I have tried to label them as NC or Spain where I have the information.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline LadyPinwheel

• Pink Punk Unicorn
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • My reality is just different than yours
    • View Profile
    • LadyPinwheel's Pony Realm
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 11:59:53 AM »
So why would they make a differense in the carded vs boxed one with one of them, but not the other?
How about the timeline here. Where both Lemon Drop and Bowtie with stroller available at the same time, or did they come out in different years?  And did the carded Babies come out at the same time, or when where they available?

And how about Tiddlywinks? Have anyone Heard of a Spain marked version of her? Did she come with the Nursery as well as on card?

And why on Earth is Moondancer marked Spain, whereas the others seems not to be, if they are from the same set? Or is there a NC version of her too?

Hi there! Well.. as far as I know, babies were available at the same time more or less. At least for the playset ponies and the "canastilla" ones.

In this catalogue from 1987 we see they did sell at the same time:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

As for the ones on blister... I'm not sure about the year. I would have to go through my other catalogues to see if they make an appearance.

In my opinion NC Baby Lemondrop with stroller was never released in Spain. Just the carded one. So I guess that at some point either the Spanish factory made that pony for other countries, or sent the mold around. I'm more inclined to the first option, because all the NC Baby Lemondrops I've seen seem to have the same factory flaw on the eye... regardless of the country it was sold in.

About Tiddlywinks, I've never seen it marked Spain. Just NC. Again, I don't think the spain marked mold was ever used on it.

And the why is Baby Bowtie both marked Spain and NC? Well.... that is the big mystery! Maybe they miexed molds? Reused one for Tiddlywinks and kept the other for Bowtie? Idk... It would be great is someone could show us both Bowties MIB/MOC to see the markings on them. I do believe there are slight differences between the two releases. One has thicker hair and purple eyes. While the other has thin hair and blue eyes.

As for Moondancer.. although she came carded, I believe they must have used the same mold they used for the other baby unicorns. Having two white unicorns its pretty easy they would have done that.

I hope this helps? Idk. The Spanish factory seems to be a bit of a mess XD

ETA: I believe that post you quoted was an old one as I seemed to believe that Baby Moondancer came with the Canastilla Set too, but I think today I have more experience and knowledge and have come across more ponies :p
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 12:03:12 PM by LadyPinwheel »

Offline Perikoala

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 04:43:54 AM »
All the Spanish babies are marked Spain except for the Baby Cuddles pose (Tiddlywinks, Baby Bow Tie) & Baby Lemon Drop. Like the flutters, they have the same hand writting stamp.

The carded ones are dated 1987 as well as the Play and Care set ones & the nursery. All the babies came in the same year except first version Baby Bow Tie & the Stroller that was in 1986. Baby Lemon Drop & the Stroller was never sold in Spain.

Is there any picture of that Spain marked Baby Bow Tie? I had tons on my hands of both versions and never seen one non NC.

Offline Leikin

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 01:21:03 PM »
Thanks for all your inputs :)

Its interesting thoiugh that the catalogue shows baby tiddlywinks as a bbe pony. Did the nursery come with the bbe, or is that just stock photo?
Its odd though that they reused baby bowtie and tiddlywinks for the carded set, and then throw in moondancer. I mean, it would make sense if they had just used playset Babies, but moondancer is an odd choice. And why didnt they choose any of the other from Moondancers set, like baby Firefly?

In my opinion NC Baby Lemondrop with stroller was never released in Spain. Just the carded one. So I guess that at some point either the Spanish factory made that pony for other countries, or sent the mold around. I'm more inclined to the first option, because all the NC Baby Lemondrops I've seen seem to have the same factory flaw on the eye... regardless of the country it was sold in.
Baby Lemon Drop & the Stroller was never sold in Spain.

That sounds reasonable. I have never seen baby LD with stroller in a spanish box, but I have seen in french and I have the english box, and I'm pretty sure it says made in spain on the box, so I assume they made her for other countries. Probably at the same time as the carded Babies in 87, if Bowtie came in 86. I guess they thought they didnt need her both on card and with stroller at the same time.

Another interesting thing is that France seems to have had both the HK and spanish baby Bowtie with stroller.  :blink:

As for Moondancer.. although she came carded, I believe they must have used the same mold they used for the other baby unicorns. Having two white unicorns its pretty easy they would have done that.
that would make sense, if they used the same mold. Good point!

Is there any picture of that Spain marked Baby Bow Tie?
Would also love to see that, maybe with comparision to a NC one :)

ETA: I believe that post you quoted was an old one as I seemed to believe that Baby Moondancer came with the Canastilla Set too, but I think today I have more experience and knowledge and have come across more ponies :p
Haha, yeah, I managed to dig up some very old threads, but still very interesting!  :P

Wanted: MOC Geman baby Lemon Drop, MIB baby Lemon Drop with purple stroller, MOC Rainbow Confetti, MOC Euro(NSS) Buttons, ,  and UK carded rainbow ponies.
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,391446.0.html
Follow me and my Collection at https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 07:05:37 AM »

Its interesting thoiugh that the catalogue shows baby tiddlywinks as a bbe pony. Did the nursery come with the bbe, or is that just stock photo?
Its odd though that they reused baby bowtie and tiddlywinks for the carded set, and then throw in moondancer. I mean, it would make sense if they had just used playset Babies, but moondancer is an odd choice. And why didnt they choose any of the other from Moondancers set, like baby Firefly?

I was wondering about the BBE Tiddleywinks as well.

It could be something to do with the license that was issued as to which ponies they could manufacture?

However, the fact that the catalogue is 1987 explains a lot. It was chaos at the point in time with the releases, there is no rhyme or reason from to why some places got certain ponies and other places did not.

It is more Taffeta's line of expertise, she has been able to untangle some of it. A lot of it really does not make any sense though.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Perikoala

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 12:00:48 PM »

That is a stock photo. The nursey came with NC Baby Tiddlywinks. Spain never had any of the BBE babies.
There are only very few pictures MB made of the actual Spanish ponies, like the Rainbow, babies and first earth Ponies. The rest are stock photos from Hasbro Europe. We never had actual pictures of the Twice as Fancy ponies, for example, just the regular ones. I can imagine the confusion the kid could have when got one of these ponies and was in a different pose  :P. I have an example

Spoiler
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Not sure if the Big Brothers picture is also Spanish with regular HK ones or is a stock image from Hasbro. It's not coincidence that only appears the 4 that were released here.

I find it very weird they used playsets babies for the baby line, too. That only leads customers no longer want the playset if can have only the pony xD But I think what happened was that MB had overstock of Baby BowTie, Baby Lemon Drop & Tiddly Winks so they just threw them in the baby line set. I think the same for Baby Moondancer, overstock of white baby unicorns.
Something similar happened for the Caricias set, i think. The stock picture shows Lemon Drop and Peachy as they are but their names are Agua Limón and Cupido, so I think they just used overstock CPs and changed the color :shrug:

I think, Baby Firefly would have been a better choice. They had already a baby pegasus mold, and they only used it for Baby Heart Throb. Instead of 3 earth babies & 1 unicorn, I would have chosen Baby Cotton Candy, Baby Lemon Drop, Baby Moondancer and Baby Firefly. Similar to the others Play and Care sets from other countries. But as I suspect, everything is summarized in over stock.

That sounds reasonable. I have never seen baby LD with stroller in a spanish box, but I have seen in french and I have the english box, and I'm pretty sure it says made in spain on the box, so I assume they made her for other countries. Probably at the same time as the carded Babies in 87, if Bowtie came in 86. I guess they thought they didnt need her both on card and with stroller at the same time.

Another interesting thing is that France seems to have had both the HK and spanish baby Bowtie with stroller.  :blink:

I think Spain made almost all the playsets for the European market, so I wouldn't be surprised Lemon Drop's stroller also came from here. I just don't know why they didn't released her with the stroller here instead of Baby BowTie, that would have been easier and less expensive  :wonder:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal