collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The Complete List of Male Ponies  (Read 5926 times)

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: The Complete List of Male Ponies
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2019, 01:16:59 PM »
The MO birthday twins were also advertised as boys in the original pamphlet!
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2019, 01:23:32 PM »
Yeah, Score is from the cartoon (I assume it was an early name for him? Like Frosty for IC like you said). Although to be fair I can kinda see where the "Score = UK name" thing came from, "Quarterback" is such an American name/concept I'm surprised Hasbro UK didn't rename him x)

The backcard shows Baby Schoolbag (and Count-a-Lot) in the Baby Tic Tac Toe pose:

http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/File:Baby_Count-a-lot_Backcard.jpg

So that's two protos for one pony! Weird. I wonder what was going on there.

I dislike how G4's boys are all same-y, too. It's really a step back, I mean I know not everyone's into G1 boys mostly being shire horses, etc but at least G1 wasn't afraid to give them long hair and pink/purple coats!! I hate how so many G4 boys are just brown.. grey... short hair... -_- And I've never been a fan of the square heads, either; I don't care either way about the sexual dimorphism aspect of it, I just don't like how they look :silly:

And yesss HQG1C boys are so gorgeous <3 I love them.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2019, 03:23:30 PM »
That's a really detailed list!

Baby Schoolbag definitely appeared as a male posed prototype in the insert for that year, though I have a feeling he might be in a female pose on the backcard. Can't remember which way around it is but definitely it existed.

Also, I dunno where the name Score comes from - the animated series? I've seen people say it's the UK name but it isn't. He was Quarterback here. If you're counting pre-production names, though Ice Crystal was, I believe, "Frosty" and Thundercloud was definitely Storm. I am pretty sure I have a Grooming Parlour tag that says 'Storm' on it with his symbols.

In the animated series Quarterback was called Score. I'm not sure why as all the other Big Brothers use their US names.  Maybe it was a prototype name and was changed for the pony but got left in the episode by mistake.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2019, 03:39:23 PM »
I don't like so many of the boys being browns in G4 either.  Although I do think they had the best body diversity.  Like they had boys who were unicorns and pegasus ponies.  (Only other time I can think of that happening is newborn Sniffles and Re Unicorno in G1.)

Oh, although that does make me remember that there was a G3 book that had Star Catcher as a boy.  Throughout the entire thing, so it wasn't just a one-page typo.  They later rereleased the book with female pronouns.  But since the book is canon, even if it clashes with other canon, I guess Star Catcher COULD technically be G3's single boy pony.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2019, 10:28:03 AM »
I want to say the only Thai Mountain Boy that has never been seen is Lightning?  For sure there is a Fireball and Sunburst. And there are 2 Thai Iceys, one with green hair and one with blue (whizzer218 here has pics of the blue guy).

Offline MerryAnvil

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • The Resident Blacksmith Pony
    • View Profile
    • Jordan's Pony Corner
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2019, 09:18:11 AM »
Thank you all so much for the input and assistance! I will update everything accordingly when I can get to it. For now, I have this list posted over on MLPTP too and I'd like to share some neat information on the Mexican ponies that a lovely person named 'mexicanmlp' shared <3 (The images are quite large when linked on here, so I've put them all under spoilers!)

Yup, usually Spanish uses male articles and pronouns as being neutral, but (at least with Mexican Spanish) we can "eat" (omit) them and just use the verb so it's more neutral (the "correct" way: Ella juega afuera - she plays outside.  But it's more common to just say "juega afuera" - plays outside).

Went to search a post I made some time ago about the info on the Mexicans I have with this issue of the male/neutral (@fb on the nirvana group):

Relating to the issue about Mexican ponies being male/female, here are the only ones I can vouch for given that I have them in box (somewhat...):

While the Spanish language is really peculiar about female/male words (so you can not confuse them... :rollseyes: and using the masculine words as just the neutral form), at least with two they consider them as males due to the ussage of the words:

Watercolor Baby Sea Pony -Acuarela- Salty (pink):

The story mentions it's a "he" ("estaba emocionado", "especial amigo").

Spoiler

Watercolor Baby Sea Pony -Acuarela- Spray (yellow):

The only neutral one.

Spoiler

Watercolor Baby Sea Pony -Acuarela- Salty (blue):

Not definite, because uses somewhat neutral ("lindo pony").

Spoiler

Newborn Twins -Gemelitos- Lat y Tat (Rattles & Tattles):

Not definite, but the use of the masculine word "gemelitos" against "gemelitas" (female) can mean at least one is a male.

Spoiler

Baby pony Baby Cotton (Baby Cotton Candy):

Also clearly depicts Cotton as a male ("travieso", and "le dió a él otro ramito como bocadillo").

Spoiler

Avatar by Shaiyeh, sig by SquarePeg! <3 Check out my pony website here!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2019, 09:48:56 AM »
If we're going into original and reprints of books, I'm pretty sure the original prints of Man in the Moon or Stolen Shadow had AJ and maybe Bubbles as well as guys. But this also had the wrong names for the adult sea ponies. The second edition corrected the sea ponies, and changed the pronouns. But you can kind of see they did it, because the font is slightly different.

I think it's those books. AJ got a mixed gender representation in the very beginning in the UK before being standard female, and I think Bubbles was the other one that had the same treatment as well.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline MerryAnvil

• Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • The Resident Blacksmith Pony
    • View Profile
    • Jordan's Pony Corner
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2019, 09:57:11 AM »
If we're going into original and reprints of books, I'm pretty sure the original prints of Man in the Moon or Stolen Shadow had AJ and maybe Bubbles as well as guys. But this also had the wrong names for the adult sea ponies. The second edition corrected the sea ponies, and changed the pronouns. But you can kind of see they did it, because the font is slightly different.

I think it's those books. AJ got a mixed gender representation in the very beginning in the UK before being standard female, and I think Bubbles was the other one that had the same treatment as well.

Huh, very interesting. Perhaps they decided that most young girls would be able to more readily relate to characters that were their own gender and just decided to change it? Or perhaps there was a misunderstanding somewhere along the line with the ponies' genders and the books were printed before anyone realized it. Very interesting information in any case, thank you for sharing!

Avatar by Shaiyeh, sig by SquarePeg! <3 Check out my pony website here!

Offline lalalei2001

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2019, 10:11:41 AM »
G3.5 had one male pony. He was unnamed.

G2 also had Proudfoot, a character from a comic.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2019, 10:16:39 AM »

Huh, very interesting. Perhaps they decided that most young girls would be able to more readily relate to characters that were their own gender and just decided to change it? Or perhaps there was a misunderstanding somewhere along the line with the ponies' genders and the books were printed before anyone realized it. Very interesting information in any case, thank you for sharing!

Unfortunately I don't have my older copies to hand to check for sure it's those books and to photograph the changed pages.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2019, 12:56:04 PM »
omg Proudfoot is so cuuute! I wish they'd made him as a toy.

Offline Wildshadow

• Dabbles Pony
  • Favorites of all time? Surprise, Danny and Spike!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/kriticosium/
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2019, 08:03:38 AM »
When I was going for all the regular G1 boys, I went with the UK comics xD If it hadn't been mentioned before, in the comic the petite Sundrop / Kingsley is male. ^.~

Thanks Starscout for the sig and Shaiyeh thanks for the avatar  :heart: Ombyshadow

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2019, 09:03:09 AM »
Proudfoot is a handsome fella.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal