collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The Complete List of Male Ponies  (Read 5901 times)

Offline MerryAnvil

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • The Resident Blacksmith Pony
    • View Profile
    • Jordan's Pony Corner
Re: The Complete List of Male Ponies
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2019, 12:56:24 PM »
Isn't there a Pegasus version of Baby Ribbs in...I think Venezuala?

Edited:  Whoops! It was Argentina.

http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/File:Argie-baby-ribbs.jpg

Ahh yeah! I had no idea he existed until this morning while I was looking through the Nirvana pages on My Little Wiki to see if I missed any boys! I love this version <3

I agree.  I was disappointed in the Big Brother Ponies because I actually wanted a girl version.  I thought of them more as a different "breed" like sea ponies. 

I don't and didn't feel particularly bad that there were few boys.  GI Joe, Transformers, comics and most action shows at the earliest time basically only had token females.  So it was nice that there was something where girls also rescued and defended others. 

Same! You know, when I got my first G1s from a yard sale, I actually thought Steamer was a female and was just supposed to be a Clydesdale or some other draft horse until I realized that they were the Big Brother mold. The Gingerbread mold (which is the mold they made the daddies from the Family Friends set on) is one of my faves because it's so stocky. Part of the reason for liking the stockiness was that a lot of the female horses I've ridden in the past have been either draft mixes or stock horses, and I have fond memories of them <3 My mom's mare, who I now ride since my mom's back won't allow her to, is a big ol' stocky girl with huge hooves. I think having a couple female ponies on the Big Brother mold would have been neat!

Oh, me neither! I liked the ones they did make, and I enjoy trying to collect them all, but I love all the female ponies too.

I don't like sexual dimorphism between boy and girl ponies either.  I know it's a fantasy world etc, but I still think it's a pretty silly idea.

Some of the Italian ponies are boys, but I can't remember which . . . I think either Posey or Trickles is a boy.  I have a little Italian coloring book where one of them is talking to the baby version of themself (yeah, they would just put in Baby Parasol, Baby Posey, tons of babies who never existed) and the baby was calling the adult "Uncle".  (In Italy the baby versions are the nieces / nephews of the adults, not the babies. At least in the comics.)

Aw! Uncle! That's too cute. I'll have to do some more research on those two then! Thank you!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Avatar by Shaiyeh, sig by SquarePeg! <3 Check out my pony website here!

Offline Ragamuffin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2019, 01:06:51 PM »
Some of the Italian ponies are boys, but I can't remember which . . . I think either Posey or Trickles is a boy.  I have a little Italian coloring book where one of them is talking to the baby version of themself (yeah, they would just put in Baby Parasol, Baby Posey, tons of babies who never existed) and the baby was calling the adult "Uncle".  (In Italy the baby versions are the nieces / nephews of the adults, not the babies. At least in the comics.)

Gusty was a boy wasn't she? And Bow Tie's name was Timmy and and Bubbles was Ben. :P

G4 faces don't look so bad on a 2D stylized cartoon but as a toy it looks terrible, and when you look at a mare and a stallion right next to each other it becomes really apparent.

It doesn't bother me so much in G1 since it's so minor but G4s have completely different faces, and stallions are way taller/bigger (maybe even twice as big? But I'm not good at math). The only non-princesses I can recall that don't have the typical mare nose are Sassy Saddles, Fleur de Lis, and Saffron Marsala, the rest them are brachycephalic...

Bronies tried to defend it like "what does the gender of the pony matter?" yeah, do tell, why DOES it matter? How is Applejack one of the strongest ponies in Equestria when she's identical to all the other dinky little mares?  Why can't she be a draft horse-type like Big Mac? :P

"You can't tell who's the boy and who's the girl if there's no size/face difference" you can add eyelashes to the girls and not give any to the boys. You can even listen to their voice. Or pay attention to the pronouns the other characters call them. :rolleyes: The kirins don't have any major differences between genders nor do the changelings. Filly Fantasia's ponies look like they have the same face shape too.

I'd like G5 to go back to minimal differences and nice long hair would be nice. :/

G3.5 has some background ponies that were boys, who sadly never would've had a chance to release of course because everything was all about the Core7 (sounds familiar, hmm?). No differences here except the haircuts and lack of eyelashes. That one is even pink! :)

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2019, 01:29:32 PM »
I never thought too deeply (ie. Never at all) about boy ponies looking different than girl ponies. In a world of unicorns, pegasus, wingers, flutters, SHS, sea ponies etc it just didn't stand out to me. As ponies seem to reproduce, at least in G1 (mirrors, magic, cloning) asexually it would not be surprising that boy ponies are another type

I really do like boy ponies, but seeing all the G4 blind bag boys I don't think I'll be able to get them all haha!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 02:14:27 PM by SaraMari »

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

Offline Cristar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2019, 02:58:47 PM »
I Think there are more italians. I recall someone was named Tommy maybe?  And it seems like some sets have a few boy names on the back cards, but thats just me assuming them being male, since the names ends with e or o ,instead of a, so I could be totally wrong here ^^
I added Bianco (Male Starshine) since he was confirmed to be male, but I couldn't really tell if any of the others were male or not. I did notice there was a Tommy (Italian Bow Tie) and Ben (Italian Bubbles) as well but I couldn't seem to find any info on their genders. If anyone knows if they were in fact male versions, please let me know!

Well, being an Italian MLP fan, I can confirm there are more male ponies among Italian variants. But, as you wrote, sometimes this just depends on the name, without any other infos (in comics or pamphlets) about the gender of characters. If you check on this page http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/Italy you'll find two collectible figurine scans, that introduce G1 characters with their Italian names. These names were also used in the Italian dubbing of the tv animated series. Well, some of these names are MALE names in Italy: Golia (Heart-Throb), Gelsomino (Cherries Jubilee), Fortunello (Lickety-Split), Lolito (Sparkler; sometimes she was called Ippolito, another male name). Note that these names ARE NOT Italian translations of their English names; for example "Gelsomino" means "Jasmine Flower", but, if it was a female name, it would be "Gelsomina". Anyway, she represents a discrepancy, because in the tv show she was called "Ciliegia" (Cherry), of course a female Italian noun.
After that, we have two BowTie versions and two Applejack versions, and for them the situation is clear: One version is male and the other is female. Melania is the female Applejack in the shy pose, and Melozzo is the male Applejack in the collector pose. Timmy is the female BowTie in the shy pose and Tammy is the male BowTie in the collector pose.
Is it all solved? No...  -_- Because here you will find many many other Italian male names of g1 ponies: http://miominipony.mlparena.com/ponynomi.htm 
Specifically, they are: Turchino, Azzurro, Bianco, Giallo, Placido, Geremia, David, Ulisse, Ricciolino, Ballerino, Barnaba, Michele, Confetto, Polidoro, Gustavo, Filiberto, Pallino, Scirocco, Martino, and all names  ending with "-ino" (this ending is a sort of term of endearment, and we use "-ino" for boys and "-ina" for girls, so here we have only male names).
Well: why do we have so many male names for such "feminine" ponies? And why babies are always called "nipotino" (nephew) instead of "nipotina" (niece)?… Because the Italian adaptation considered them as mere animals without gender, rather than characters with their own identity...  -_-
So, I advise you not to include in the list all these names I have written to you, but limit yourself to insert Re Unicorno (always mentioned in Italian comics), Gustavo (because he is famous in the animated series and had a boyish voice) and, of course, Melozzo and Tammy (the male counterparts of Applejack and BowTie).
Anyway, this is only my point of view, you could ask for advice to other Italian MLP fans...

« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 05:06:33 PM by Cristar »

Offline MerryAnvil

• View Profile
    • Jordan's Pony Corner
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2019, 03:28:19 PM »
I really do like boy ponies, but seeing all the G4 blind bag boys I don't think I'll be able to get them all haha!

Ahh I feel you there ;u; That is the part I'm currently struggling with the most haha. It's also probably going to be the most expensive part of my male pony collection because each blind bag goes for anywhere between $2-7-ish, at least on eBay. And if you factor in all the different releases...*faints*

Well, being an Italian MLP fan, I can confirm there are more male ponies among Italian variants. But, as you wrote, sometimes this just depends on the name, without any other infos (in comics or pamphlets) about the gender of characters. If you check on this page http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/Italy you'll find two collectible figurine scans, that introduce G1 characters with their Italian names. These names were also used in the Italian dubbing of the tv animated series. Well, some of these names are MALE names in Italy: Golia (Heart-Throb), Gelsomino (Cherries Jubilee), Fortunello (Lickety-Split), Lolito (Sparkler; sometimes she was called Ippolito, another male name). Note that these names ARE NOT Italian translations of their English names; for example "Gelsomino" means "Jasmine Flower", but, if it was a female name, it would be "Gelsomina". Anyway, she represents a discrepancy, because in the tv show she was called "Ciliegia" (Cherry), of course a female Italian noun.
After that, we have two BowTie versions and two Applejack versions, and for them the situation is clear: One version is male and the other is female. Melania is the female Applejack in the shy pose, and Melozzo is the male Applejack in the collector pose. Timmy is the female BowTie in the shy pose and Tammy is the male BowTie in the collector pose.
Is it all solved? No...  -_- Because here you will find many many other Italian male names of g1 ponies: http://miominipony.mlparena.com/ponynomi.htm 
Specifically, they are: Turchino, Azzurro, Bianco, Giallo, Placido, Geremia, David, Ulisse, Ricciolino, Ballerino, Barnaba, Michele, Confetto, Polidoro, Gustavo, Filiberto, Pallino, Scirocco, Martino, and all names  ending with "-ino" (this ending is a sort of term of endearment, and we use "-ino" for boys and "-ina" for girls, so here we have only male names).
Well: why we have so many male names for such "feminine" ponies? And why babies are always called "nipotino" (nephew) instead of "nipotina" (niece)?… Because the Italian adaptation considered them as mere animals without gender, rather than characters with their own identity...  -_-
So, I advise you not to include in the list all these names I have written to you, but limit yourself to insert Re Unicorno (always mentioned in Italian comics), Gustavo (because he is famous in the animated series and had a boyish voice) and, of course, Melozzo and Tammy (the male counterparts of Applejack and BowTie).
Anyway, this is only my point of view, you could ask for advice to other Italian MLP fans...

Ah, I see! This is a ton of great information, thank you so much for the insight! I'll take your suggestion and only include the ones you mentioned for now. I had Bianco on the list, but I'll go ahead and just add a little notation beside it stating that this may be an incorrect addition to the list. If any other Italian fans would like to share their opinions/input on this matter, please do so! I would love to learn more.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2019, 05:08:15 PM »
That is so interesting about the Italian Ponies Cristar.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2019, 07:43:53 AM »
aaaa that's fascinating, Cristar! :o One of the best posts I've seen on here in a while. So the two AJs and Bow-Ties are considered different characters in Italy? :o

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2019, 08:59:37 AM »
Clydesdales were my favorite kind of horse as a kid- so I loved the Clydesdale ponies.  In our house they were female.

I would love it if Basic Fun did the big brithers since I did love that sculpt- and so many of the old ones are age spotted or flawed.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2019, 09:04:25 AM »
Oh, for anyone looking to expand their collection beyond the official ponies, the HQG1C project does have some boy ponies as well.

You can't really tell from this picture, but this one is glittery.

Black ponies are so lovely, I wish Hasbro had made official black G1 ponies.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Cristar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2019, 10:09:20 AM »
Ah, I see! This is a ton of great information, thank you so much for the insight!
That is so interesting about the Italian Ponies Cristar.

I'm glad to have been helpful!  :)

aaaa that's fascinating, Cristar! :o One of the best posts I've seen on here in a while. So the two AJs and Bow-Ties are considered different characters in Italy? :o

Yes!  ;)

Offline Aquatic Neon

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2019, 11:37:11 AM »
I collect the boys too :)

You missed some I noticed. Most just variants.

Funko Vinyl Cheese Sandwich
Funko Vinyl Crystal Cheese Sandwich
Funko Vinyl Crystal Big McIntosh
Funko Vinyl Crystal Shining Armor
Funko Vinyl Crystal Dr. Whooves
Funko Vinyl Red/Green Tie Dr. Whoobes
Funko Mini Shining Armor
Funko Mini Black Shining Armor
Funko Mini Big Mac
Funko Mini Black Big Mac
Funko Mini Cheese Sandwich
Funko Mini Black Cheese Sandwich
Funko Pop Dr. Whooves

GOH Shining Armor
GOH Changeling
GOH Soarin
GOH Cheese Sandwich
GOH Stratus Skyranger

Brushable Crystal Shining Armor

Fashion Style Shining Armor
Fashion Style Soarin

PS. (GIVE US BASIC FUN MOUNTAIN BROTHERS)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 11:40:51 AM by Aquatic Neon »

For Sale Wants

Offline MerryAnvil

• View Profile
    • Jordan's Pony Corner
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2019, 11:44:38 AM »
I collect the boys too :)

You missed some I noticed. Most just variants.

Funko Vinyl Cheese Sandwich
Funko Vinyl Crystal Cheese Sandwich
Funko Vinyl Crystal Big McIntosh
Funko Vinyl Crystal Shining Armor
Funko Vinyl Crystal Dr. Whooves
Funko Vinyl Red/Green Tie Dr. Whoobes
Funko Mini Shining Armor
Funko Mini Black Shining Armor
Funko Mini Big Mac
Funko Mini Black Big Mac
Funko Mini Cheese Sandwich
Funko Mini Black Cheese Sandwich
Funko Pop Dr. Whooves

GOH Shining Armor
GOH Changeling
GOH Soarin
GOH Cheese Sandwich
GOH Stratus Skyranger

Brushable Crystal Shining Armor

Fashion Style Shining Armor
Fashion Style Soarin

PS. (GIVE US BASIC FUN MOUNTAIN BROTHERS)

Oooh thank you! Once I got to the Funkos/Guardians of Harmony I got tired ahaha thanks for bringing these to my attention, I'll add them to the list <3

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2019, 11:47:15 AM »
Well, remember, the entire MLP line, big brothers, mountain boys, were conceptualized decades before society began pushing a movement toward androgeny, gender fluidity, and non binary gender associations. MLP was originally very skewed toward the stereotypically feminine and what was seen as acceptable toys for girls and male characters were mostly an afterthought. Just look toward Megan, Molly and Danny. But there have always been ponies whi could be seen as boys from AppleJack in Midnight Castle, and kids of the 80s did not even really have a framework to classify gender outside of male or female. It wasn't part of the conversation, no matter what one's personal views on it may be.

Offline MerryAnvil

• View Profile
    • Jordan's Pony Corner
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2019, 11:55:15 AM »
Well, remember, the entire MLP line, big brothers, mountain boys, were conceptualized decades before society began pushing a movement toward androgeny, gender fluidity, and non binary gender associations. MLP was originally very skewed toward the stereotypically feminine and what was seen as acceptable toys for girls and male characters were mostly an afterthought. Just look toward Megan, Molly and Danny.

Very true! I'm still disappointed that they haven't done much of anything about it now in G4 though, since they no longer have that excuse. I mean they definitely did better on the varied female characters (which I'm happy about! I adore ponies like Tempest, Applejack, etc) and they have more male characters now than they did in G1, G2, etc, but most of them are still really stereotypically masculine rather than having a balance. Where are my beautiful ethereal male ponies with long flow-y manes and pretty pastel colors, Hasbro? o:< Or cute spunky boys with bright colors and glitter? Tsk, tsk...

At least HQG1C exists <3 They are the saving grace of male pony lovers everywhere!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2019, 01:04:26 PM »
That's a really detailed list!

Baby Schoolbag definitely appeared as a male posed prototype in the insert for that year, though I have a feeling he might be in a female pose on the backcard. Can't remember which way around it is but definitely it existed.

Also, I dunno where the name Score comes from - the animated series? I've seen people say it's the UK name but it isn't. He was Quarterback here. If you're counting pre-production names, though Ice Crystal was, I believe, "Frosty" and Thundercloud was definitely Storm. I am pretty sure I have a Grooming Parlour tag that says 'Storm' on it with his symbols.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal