collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: FiM Season 9 Episode 19  (Read 1732 times)

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
FiM Season 9 Episode 19
« on: September 09, 2019, 08:54:54 AM »
 I skipped it and didn't want to deal with the Sparity nonsense. What's your take on it?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline milkywaymochi

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
Re: FiM Season 9 Episode 19
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 09:05:58 AM »
I only watched the leaked version of it once a couple of weeks ago, so my recollection is kinda vague, but I can't be bothered to watch it again. It's just one of the most average episodes to ever average. Much like most of the last five seasons of this show, really. I've always been very ambivalent to sparity- cute, but not worth the amount of time it gets- so maybe I'm being a little unfair on the episode as a whole, who knows? But still, we're on the home stretch of season 9 now, and it's very disappointing that I've yet to see an episode of this season that I like enough to watch more than once.

Offline caseysealia

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 09:50:35 AM »
I love Sparity so maybe I'll watch it but who knows.

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 10:07:52 AM »
I thought it was a great ending to the Sparity "arc" so to speak! It was nice of Rarity to finally acknowledge that she treats Spike's crush more of a convenience so he can do things for her, and I was glad for her apology.

I thought more of season 9 would be wrapping up loose threads that have been introduced over the years through the various other seasons, so it was nice for them to address a few of them at least, with eps like this. The Spike crush has been a dangling thread since the first season, so I felt like it really did need to be addressed before the end of the show, and they didn't let us down!
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 11:16:14 AM »
I liked seeing Gabby again. I'm eh on the rest. But only because I disliked the entire crush situation and liked when Rarity would treat Spike like a little brother. She never "used" him, he always did things for her because he was in love and wanted to be around her. You can't "use" a child who is crushing on you.

I guess they went for the "never know what you've got til it's gone" angle and that's fine.

Good on Spike for finally leaving her alone. Date a dragon your age and stop fantasizing about adult pony ladies ya lil creep :P

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 11:18:23 AM »
I liked seeing Gabby again. I'm eh on the rest. But only because I disliked the entire crush situation and liked when Rarity would treat Spike like a little brother. She never "used" him, he always did things for her because he was in love and wanted to be around her. You can't "use" a child who is crushing on you.
Yeah, that's my thoughts on the whole thing. Made me a bit apprehensive about this episode. They should've done something with him and Sweetie Belle if anything but whatever.
I think I'll continue skipping it because I feel like that's a garbage message.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 02:52:05 PM »
Are we just in a section of the final season out to make us hate these characters?  So far since the break every episode seems to have at one character act completely insufferable.  They do realize this is the end and are essentially saying these are morally bankrupt until they have their daily lesson fix?

Rarity came off as an abusive user in this episode.  In fact, the only reason she wanted Spike back was he essentially a multipurpose tool she could get to do grunt work for her with literally a bat of an eye.  Notice that now that doesn't work, she didn't appeal to their friendship but essentially bribed him to be with her.

I feel like we're watching the series tear itself down as it heads to its end.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 12:29:20 PM »
I'm so glad they finally addressed Spike's unhealthy infatuation with Rarity. That went so far beyond a crush very early on. Now he's found someone his own age who doesn't take him for granted.

Rarity was selfish in this episode, but they do a good job of showing why, and she does a good job of apologizing at the end. All around a pretty solid episode!
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2019, 04:41:51 AM »
That went so far beyond a crush very early on.

MTE. I think the worst was in Simple Ways whem Spike was all sarcastic and seething because Rarity was into that fashion stallion.

I saw so many people say stuff like "Spike deserves her!", "Rarity is evil for friendzoning a Good Guy lile Spike", "this episode is dedicated to all friendzoned Nice Guys out there. Stay strong muh brothers!!" Ugh... the fact that someone wrote Spike to be pissed off an adult is crushing on an adult... someone in the writers room was projecting.

Spike and Gabby have a really cute friendship! And yet some people
Spoiler
still pestered the writers why Rarity wasn't dating adult Spike in the last episode.

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2019, 07:57:38 AM »
I like Sparity as what I felt it was introduced to me as; a child's crush where the older character being crushed on is kind enough not to outright shatter the illusion, and is basically going to let him grow up and understand it won't happen himself.  I never felt that Rarity really used him over anything, but rather he offered to do things for her and she didn't turn him down.

If other fans want to portray Rarity and Spike as closer ages and treat them as a real couple, that's cool with me - they do make it look really cute, so I can see why people like it that way, and Spike's age isn't really said in the show (he is not literally a "baby" - he is just called that out of laziness, as it's an easy way to say he is younger than most dragons, which could mean literally anything.)

Not seen this, but I doubt that Rarity would need to apologise without it - it kind of seems like they're letting some fans "be right", but I hope I'm wrong there.  I hope the fans who want Sparity to be a thing are aware that they can still make it a thing themselves - no one is being forced to follow canon to the letter.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline TJgamer

• Colorswirl Pony
  • An open-minded adventurer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2019, 06:11:06 PM »
I've always wanted the show to give Spike and Rarity's relationship some closure. While it's clear that Spike has finally put his crush behind him, I kinda wanted to see it done a bit more directly. I wonder if it ever crossed the show staff's minds that their relationship was mostly one-sided; that it could easily be misinterpreted as her just wanting him as a servant.

I liked that we got a bit of a role reversal. For years it has been Spike fawning over Rarity, but now it's her turn to obsess over him. Though as I just mentioned earlier, I'm pretty sure the writer's just wanted to focus on the "changing friendships" conflict and not so much the romantic part.

Rarity is the big ham that she often is. Tabitha St. Germain probably never gets tired of it.  :P

It's cool to see Gabby again, and I fully approve of her and Spike being together like this. In fact, something I only just recently realized, Spike finally has a close and long-term friendship with someone who could really be seen as his peer; someone who can really sympathize and relate with him and vice-versa.
They: You're too old to watch that show!
Me: Can't hear ya, I'm asleep.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal