collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I have a pony problem!  (Read 1697 times)

Offline Snuzzle76

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
I have a pony problem!
« on: September 15, 2019, 03:06:16 PM »
I'm bit of a perfectionist and that makes me a tad of a picky collector so I always look for the best looking Ponies. That being said, at this point in my life I've dealt with enough people to know that there's plenty of bad apples just out for themselves and not above scamming others which has made me develop a "better safe than sorry" and "if it's too good to be true run the other way" attitude.

Problem? I see a beautiful pony with vibrant hair at a good price and get all excited for a second till I star thinking maybe it's too vibrant (especially with pink hair that is usually faded to white) and its probably been rehaired and the only way to find out is to buy it and open it. But what if I do and it turns out it really WAS in that great of a condition and now I just decapitated a poor, innocent, almost minty Pony?!  :drunk: :yikes: :stressed:

Am I nuts?  :shrug: :duh: :help:

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
Re: I have a pony problem!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 05:52:20 AM »
Sometimes you can't judge a pony until you receive it. :o) 
Pictures really can be deceiving so I understand your apprehension at times.
Hard part of pink hair is you can re-pink it without re-hairing.
Remember, most ponies do have some type of flaws... just know your limits for how much you want to spend, you'll be ok.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 06:54:12 AM »
The way I deal with this type of situations is, if I can't tell right away if it was re-haired, I just assume it wasn't and pretend the thought never came through my mind in the first place, it's amazing how often this tactic helps.
Inka Dinka Doo
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 09:40:30 AM »
I think I can tell when the hair has been re-pinked, it's never quite the right colour. But yes, re-hairing would be an issue! I agree to must be very hard to get near-mint original condition ponies nowadays.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Online tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 10:21:42 AM »
Did you ask the seller? They might be honest and say yes...

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 03:15:59 PM »
Responsible rehairers mark their ponies/leave the head unsealed/do something by which it's disclosed and can't be mistaken for the original. Yeah, it can happen that rehairs come up and are not disclosed, but if the pony's hair is the right length, the right consistency and colour (because rehair hair is rarely exact to MLP hair) and the head is still sealed it's probably original.

And if you're not sure, you can always ask the seller. A good seller will take additional photos, or disclose.

Fraud can happen, but I think it's not something you should worry about excessively.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 08:39:45 PM »
I feel like most people won't rehair a pony with faded hair if they're just going to sell it.  It's not really cost effective to pay for doll hair + shipping, then spend the time to rehair it.  Also almost no one is capable of giving a good, factory-looking haircut on a pony to the extent that it can pass for original.  (I know I'm not capable of it!)

If you're worried about it, I would just ask the seller.  Most people are honest. :)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Snuzzle76

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 10:02:54 AM »
Thank you all for your replies. There are some really good pieces of advice I will definitely be taking. I feel a lot better.  :biggrin:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal