collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Update 9/29 U.S. to Stay in Global Post Union but Declare Rates  (Read 1561 times)

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Update 9/29 U.S. to Stay in Global Post Union but Declare Rates
« on: September 07, 2019, 08:49:10 AM »
UPDATE:
The US will stay in the union.
Thanks to Aflame for bringing this up, this article is four days old but I don't think anyone else has posted it.
Linky to an article.
I can't parse articles very well (thanks brain fog) but it looks like this is a motion to be voted on. Sounds like another way to cut down on imports. The article talks a lot of China.
Can anyone see if this discusses postal rates LEAVING the US? It looks like this might only effect postage that is coming IN to the US.
Edit: Newer article. A bit easier to understand IMO.
Does clarify it is intended to cut down on counterfeit goods.
"If the US withdraws, small businesses that sell online to customers around the world could see service disruptions and dramatically increased costs for shipping through the US Postal Service - all heading into the holiday season."
It looks like Stamps.com is already trying to get some competitive international shipping. That the rates may start October 1st makes me a bit fearful for the swaps we're currently doing.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 09:49:53 AM by tailrustedtealeaf »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: U.S. to Leave Global Post Union
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 09:34:21 AM »
Wow. And we thought our borders had impending possible chaos/not chaos/chaos nonsense going on, but now you guys as well? It's like you're having your own individual Brexit over there, with the trade stuff with China and now this.

It says in the short term the price might go up from the US out as well.

Thanks for the heads up on this. It depends what the long term impact of this is on global shipping, but it could have wider consequences for those of us who like to ship overseas. Basically, for all of us in one way or another if we deal over borders.

As if Brexit wasn't bad enough.

The only thing I think is a good point being made on all of this is that the US does provide tracking info on outgoing packages, at least to the US border. And postage from here to the US, tracking is extra, it doesn't come as part of the service. And it should, to be honest. So that part of it I would support.

But right now post to the US is cheaper than post out from the US back here. And it's already hard enough with pony stuff being in an international location and trying to rehome ponies...it could be a game changer, depending IF it ends up being a big change.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 10:12:21 AM »
Joy. 

Postage is outrageous as it is.  This means that its going to spike again.

This is going to backlash, I can see it now :(

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 11:20:03 AM »
Oh yes this is all designed to minimize global trading!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 11:51:18 AM »
butwhats wrong with global trading ????

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2019, 12:56:57 PM »
in theory, nothing.  in practice, there are a few markets that are able to sway large portions of the global economy. 
there is a lot of lost potential revenue each time a product trades hands with a middleman and the supply chain is littered with corruption. 
apparently the US feels that they have given lower trading prices to other countries (to gain access to our markets), for too long and it has disrupted their market share.  too much competition
so... they want to take their shovel and pail and leave the sandbox. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2019, 02:32:49 PM »
It's all speculation, but I wonder if he also wants to add custom charges to discourage people from importing.

Ultimately the decision international people have to make when dealing with the US is can we afford the cost plus shipping and import duty. In a way even if import duty is not a factor, this just means US people doing the same since right now it's cheaper to ship to the US than it is to have something shipped out.

It may make some people stop shipping to the US in the short term, but ultimately it will be up to US people if the new charges/rules are prohibitive or not.

I guess we'll wait and see. It's a little concerning for me if we're Brexiting as well that it might complicate yet another shipping arrangement, but unless it becomes unrealistic and stupid to do it, I'd like to maintain shipping overseas to as many places as possible for as long as I can.
Spoiler
Right now we're increasingly short of an actual government, as people keep getting kicked out or quitting, which, although entertaining drama, isn't really answering any of the big questions that are going to kick in for private individuals on things like international postage when Brexit hits.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 08:45:48 AM »
Does anyone have the article that suggests rates to be changed on October 1st? Mentioned in the Halloween custom swap thread. I'll search for it when I'm sitting at my laptop again but if anyone has a link now it would be great.
Edit: Found it, updating OP now.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 11:03:47 AM by tailrustedtealeaf »

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 09:09:13 PM »
Jacked-up rates and more complications for shipping to/from overseas... Great. :P More good news everywhere you look. /s

Sorry, feeling a bit snarky today. :P
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline AnnaPommes

• glow-in-the-dark pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pommes cute things
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2019, 01:19:49 AM »
ohboihoboiohboi.
that sounds really bad for some parts of the US economy. This year, germans post changed shipping cost and mayor shipping rules. If i want to ship internationally, i often have to rely on the german post bacause DPD, hermes and UPS do not deliver there. They also added the rules that, if you do not send documents but products, you can not tape the box shut. it has to be re-openable. which is very frustrating.
i have a pile on enverlopes here i only can use for national shipping now.

does the US also change these rules or does just the shipping skyrocket?
~ Visit the Pommes-shop ~
www.etsy.com/shop/AnnagretStudio With usefull artprints, cute decor, stationery and crafting kits!
Or linktree with more fancy things!
wonderfull avatar by the lovely Shaiyeh!

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2019, 06:31:56 AM »
I haven't seen anything that restrictive pop up, it's mostly just discussion of the price increasing.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2019, 12:04:48 PM »
How frustrating for international companies - and of course, for future toy distribution!  :shocked:

Oh dear, I worry for folks doing simple + fun things like swaps.
Soon it could be too expensive to do this overseas.  :(

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2019, 08:37:28 AM »

The sad thing is that no real economist worth her or his salt agrees with Trump's trade war, https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/business/economy/trade-war-costs.html but that is what we get when the Russians help a (surprisingly and dismayingly large) chunk of the most xenophobic people in our country elect a mad man who is incapable of listening to anyone else or admitting he is wrong- as president.   I mean look what was in the news yesterday.  It's like a Saturday Night Live skit every day-  but this is REAL. (Trump made some stupid Tweet about how the hurricane was going hit certain states HARD and they should be careful-  when in fact that was TOTALLY WRONG bogus information.  But even when the weather people tried to point out and correct that he was wrong- he doubled down and insisted he was right anyway -  I mean whaaa? If he is this stupid over something about which he should care 0% about-  how rational do you think he is when an economist points out his trade wars are only hurting this country (and many others))

There is also absolutely no way of knowing what will happen next, since he changes his plans from week to week, so no company can plan for what will or could actually happen.

Post Merge: September 11, 2019, 08:42:17 AM

Only tangentially related  -  but have you guys in the US also noticed that the USPS first class label printing from USPS.com (and paypal) - has been OUT and unavailable for months and months now?

I didn't realize how much I depended on it.  Now we have to fill out the forms, and GO to the post office and wait in line and pay for postage there -  instead of popping a pony in a mailer printing our own label and sending it on it's merry (quick) way.

On the upside- the USPS recently rolled out new rates that make sending small fat stuff like ponies to international destinations somewhat cheaper (like a pony is now $14.50 or something instead of a whopping $24-  which was the last rate flat first class rate for anything fat like a pony from 2oz to 2lb)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 08:42:17 AM by Galactica »

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2019, 09:09:25 AM »
They make you take economics class as part of a business degree. I've taken both of the classes because I'm getting a business degree...did he not study business? Like what? That's all I'm saying on that. :x
Only tangentially related  -  but have you guys in the US also noticed that the USPS first class label printing from USPS.com (and paypal) - has been OUT and unavailable for months and months now?
On the upside- the USPS recently rolled out new rates that make sending small fat stuff like ponies to international destinations somewhat cheaper (like a pony is now $14.50 or something instead of a whopping $24-  which was the last rate flat first class rate for anything fat like a pony from 2oz to 2lb)
I just printed a first class label off Paypal today...I've never had much success with USPS's website. I tried to use it for international shipping on, like, three different computers and had no luck.
That new international thing sounds good, I'll have to see if I can use it before it goes back up, as I feel it will inevitably do.

Sig by Starscout <3

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2019, 06:45:12 AM »
@Galactica, without getting into specifics, I feel your pain.
Except ours wasn't elected. His party put him there. But all the rest. I relate.

....Yeah.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal