collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Dedicated G2 thread!  (Read 52677 times)

Offline freezestime

• Forever and Always the Prom Queen
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Dedicated G2 thread!
« Reply #255 on: June 06, 2020, 03:59:11 AM »
Thats cool stuff Moonbreeze :)

And Freezestime, I hope one day you get to find a mansion to for that pony :)

Thank you!

OOOOH YAAAAY!  I LOVE this thread!  I can't believe it took me so long to see it. 

I will have to try and get some collection pictures for you all.  In the meantime, I am LOVING seeing everyone else's!

Omg yess show us when you can!
Freezestime's Masterlist! https://bit.ly/3x1te5n
Dedicated G2 thread! https://bit.ly/3vIIJhL
Dedicated G2 V2.0 thread! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,403447.msg1880080/topicseen.html#new
Forgotten Toy lines! [urlhttps://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=395090.150[/url]

Offline Moonbreeze

• Trade Count: (+202)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 nut
    • View Profile
    • My personal site
« Reply #256 on: June 07, 2020, 06:45:14 AM »
Does anyone own nosy and click complete with accessories? That set is so hard to find. I’ve been hunting for years for them. Of course I still have a huge list of ponies I need. It’s just difficult to find them complete with accessories or MOC. G2’s are my favorite. Thanks for making a post about them!!!

I have them complete. I got lucky with a local French add. I believe there are 1 or 2 MOC ones around

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Wow, looks so pretty. I always tough her name was noisy.. lol  :P

Lol, same!

~*~*~*~*~*~
What are the popular and divisive sets?
Popular: the unicorns with wings I think. But most later Euro ponies are more sought after :)
Divisive: I'll agree with Skandalous there. The MM ponies look really bulky. Especially the one in Dainty Dove's pose. I love the idea of pose-able (even more as a kid) ponies, but hmmn...

Which ponies did you see the most and least of in stores? Which sets and ponies are your personal favorites?
Oof, a lot of the early ones of course. After the line got cancelled in the US, distribution became a bit sketchy here too. Some toystores had that set and some had the other sets.
I love the 2000 Royal set: Silver Rain, Fire Fly and Golden Light :) They have the most beautiful colours :lovey:
Next to that, I really like Ivy, Silver Swirl and Magician Diamond Glow ^^

How sturdy or problematic were the accessories and playsets?
Fine in general, but the Garden Playcase is the most flimsy one in my opninion. As mentioned above, I think the clip-on wings and the rings are the most prone to breaking.

What are your favorite playsets?
Sailboat!

Offline freezestime

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 04, 2020, 04:21:32 AM »
Hello friends! How is your day going? Good? Bad? Have you completed any uni work? Or had a promotion at work? Any G2 updates? Set completers, rehomed ponies, ect?

I ended up selling 2 G2 lots to people on FB! They started looking for ponies recently and I ended up giving them 99.95 percent of my extra items (fences, combs, rainbows and ponies themselves) a new home! They arrived safely and are living with their new humans!

Please feel free to share.

Plus Pony toy ideas that maybe someone else can do or

Regular pony releases

Regular Moonshadow/Moonshine and Baby (Either named Starbeam, Moonbeam, Moondream or Stardream)

Regular Dainty Dove and Baby (Name unknown, but can be Sweet Dream or Daydream)

Cupcake with Baby Cake Pop

Current Moonshadow/Moonshine and older versions of her in a double pack, with a mirror version thing.

Alternate pose regular Moonshadow/Moonshine with Sundance/Sunsparkle with a small amount of accessories (based on the comic "The Silver Moon")

Queen Morning Glory and King Clever Clover with two variations in packaging - one with two babies (each random but never duplicates) and another with all 3 babies Flourish, Nourish and Bloom.

Play sets

Beach house playset that opens like a sims house (two walls plus roof on a swing thing to open the house up) (For Coral and Ocean)

Ocean/Island playset (inter lockable with the beach house) (compliments well with Miss Aquatica who would be separately sold)

Pool playset (Reminiscent of the 3d background in the video game)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 10:25:59 AM by freezestime »
Dedicated G2 V2.0 thread! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,403447.msg1880080/topicseen.html#new

Offline Moonbreeze

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 nut
    • View Profile
    • My personal site
« Reply #258 on: July 06, 2020, 04:49:05 AM »
Ooh, I did a couple of those ideas you pitched!

*Regular Dainty Dove
* Regular Moonshine/ Moon Shadow

It's such a shame that G2 babies are more difficult to come by. I think we need more G2 baby customs

I would love  a beach themed playset too :lovey: I might try to make a tropical G2 in the near future :)

and and....! I finally got all my toy catalogues. It took soooo long though! But the second one has the weird Dainty Dove prototype in it <3

I did some updating on LavenderLagoon.com as well. Now my 2 oddball/ prototype babies have been added to the information page: http://www.lavenderlagoon.com/prototypes.html

Offline freezestime

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 07, 2020, 10:39:55 AM »

*Regular Dainty Dove

It's such a shame that G2 babies are more difficult to come by. I think we need more G2 baby customs

I would love  a beach themed playset too :lovey: I might try to make a tropical G2 in the near future :)

and and....! I finally got all my toy catalogues. It took soooo long though! But the second one has the weird Dainty Dove prototype in it <3

I did some updating on LavenderLagoon.com as well. Now my 2 oddball/ prototype babies have been added to the information page: http://www.lavenderlagoon.com/prototypes.html

:0!! More prototypes? N Y O O M

Just to put my theories out there

Oddball - I think she might've been produced as Sunsparkle's baby but the design changed for some reason, resulting in the baby we now know. The colour may be the closest to Baby Dew, but it's too purple imo, so could it started off as Moonshadow/Moonshine's baby?

I think that's the closest in colour, at least time wise. An even closer match exists in Autumn (imo) but she was produced in 2003 so I'm not sure. Or I could be over thinking things and she could've had too much of a certain pigment added. The symbol might've been a prototype design for Dart/Dash, Stardust/Moondust or Dew, or maybe just an unused design for a cancelled pony. They might've just stamped on a random symbol to show a technically finished item for the boss people. It'd match up with the 2000 twins as a few have headgear and it's the year Dew was released.

Jewel/sparkle - A semi related theory, where they pitched the initial designs to boss people on a display (hence the painted eyes) and got feedback on it. It could've even been an eyeless blank with just a symbol and maybe a designer painted them for their kids.

How they ended up where they were - idk, maybe they were thrown in the trash and rescued, on someone's desk when they were fired or retired, maybe even stolen, found in some old boxes in someone's attic or old Hasbro storage unit.

Ooh tropical G2! So many ideas! Maybe a whole set? Maybe even Tropical Babies?

Yay toy catalogues!! Are they going to be scanned and uploaded to your website? I want to see this weird Dainty Dove!

Online ZeldaTheSwordsman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Death to Eclipse" protests DA's dumb new UI
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 08, 2020, 02:20:00 AM »
They were developed by the Kenner employees, at Hasbro's behest.  :)  I found an ex-Kenner employees blog about it a long time ago.  (No longer have the link unfortunately.)

They reason they looked so different from what came before was the ex-Kenner employees purposely tried to put their own spin on MLP, and also Transformers (Beast Wars), which Hasbro also gave them.  Their company being consumed by Hasbro left them unnerved and a little rebellious and they wanted to show some independence, not just produce something that looked identical to previous Hasbro products.  So MLP turned into G2 and Transformers ended up being robots that turned into organic looking beasts, which was also a radical departure from previous Transformers.
I think it gave both brands a much needed refresh. MLP's first gen had run out of steam and was probably getting fakie'd a lot, and Transformers' own second generation (consisting of recolored versions of early toys and a handful of new molds) was getting thoroughly kicked in the pants by competition from Power Rangers

Now, who's everybody's favourite g2 pony?

Hip Holly! I'm aware that she can suffer similar stickiness to that of the G3 Divine Shines, but she's still my favorite. My biggest G2 grail at the moment! I love how she has a unique gimmick within her own set. Love her bright colors too.

I hate to think what's in her plastic as she smelt horrible when my sister took hers off the card (I mean as a kid, not recently, LOL!). We renamed her Hip Vomit on the spot. Little surprise she stickifies. Mine is still on card >.> She can stickify and smell behind plastic barriers.
Maybe Hasbro made some of the same mistakes with her plastic as they did with the more recent Transformers: Generations Whirl, whose plastic similarly has a chance to be odiferous.

Post Merge: September 09, 2019, 07:42:28 PM

I may or may not have created a prototype G2 plush.  I'm just saying, I love G2.

:O!!!!!! Do tell!

I don't want to be really specific because there are still edits to be made, but...

This is like...perfection?! Oh my goodness Skeen! I really hope you decide to sell one in the future because I would snap it up in a heartbeat

Psst....this one is yours. I'm a lazy beast who hasn't gone to the PO yet because I'm a lazy beast. ;)  The body will have some edits but I'm happy with the faces. I quit working on anything when I had surgery.  He's not quiiiite the right colors but I don't own him and used my best guess! 

You can't see his other front leg but it's straight.  Future ones will most likely have all 4 legs straight because that thing was a nightmare to work around.  Not my best picture either.

Ooh, I'd love to see, but unfortunately the image link is broken :(

Well, and again this is my personal perspective, but there's a difference to me between someone taking a pony and making a custom version of another pony for their own personal collection or as a placeholder, and someone mass producing replica versions of an existing pony and selling them. Aside the legal minefield, that's just...off to me.

I don't personally like the making a custom of an existing pony thing either because I don't collect that way, but I can understand people doing that. I don't support commercial reproductions of anything Hasbro.

(I feel like this about flutter wings and sea shells and stuff too. They exist, but I am not a fan).
Well, I'm fine with it. They're reproductions of accessories, not the ponies themselves, so I consider it to be aftermarket support for discontinued product. And they give people who don't have the money to buy from an ever-dwindling mint-in-package supply or find the increasingly rare surviving original parts the chance to make their ponies more complete. Their makers are honest about them being reproductions, and there are tells - Starlight Studios' wings seem to have white tabs, and as far as the shells go I've only seen transparent reproductions of the Year 2 clamshells; the repro Year 3 conch shells I've seen are admittedly opaque like the originals, but are probably hallmarked as repros. They're certainly not advertised as originals.

Would be great to have blanks of G2 molds so you could make the same ponies as you could in the CD-rom game. That or some of the lovely prototypes!  :biggrin:

"You have to move your pony out of the way!"

Sounds like it's the "You must gather your party before venturing forth" of that game. XD

So curious -

What made you get into G2’s and why?
They're just as cute and pretty as the other gens, and I wanted to have ponies from all gens in my collection. G2 is low on the priority scale for me rn, though; I haven't actively hunted G2s except for the first one I got, a yardsale find.

Did you like them when they originally came out?
I would have, but MLP kinda flew under my radar (not because it was a girl-targeted brand, mind you; I was interested in Barbie and Polly Pocket, I just never saw ads for MLP or noticed the ponies in stores) until G3 came along and it took till the FiM era for me to start watching and collecting pony.

Did you pursue them after they became a Europe exclusive line?
I did not.

What is a grail of yours and why?
Don't really have one yet, I sadly haven't given G2 enough thought to have one.

As of right now, G2 Sundance is my only G2. I think I shall have to dig her out for a photo soon.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 06:24:01 AM by ZeldaTheSwordsman »
should be perma-moderated

Offline Moonbreeze

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 nut
    • View Profile
    • My personal site
« Reply #261 on: July 09, 2020, 03:24:46 AM »

*Regular Dainty Dove

Oddball - I think she might've been produced as Sunsparkle's baby but the design changed for some reason, resulting in the baby we now know. The colour may be the closest to Baby Dew, but it's too purple imo, so could it started off as Moonshadow/Moonshine's baby?

I think that's the closest in colour, at least time wise. An even closer match exists in Autumn (imo) but she was produced in 2003 so I'm not sure. Or I could be over thinking things and she could've had too much of a certain pigment added. The symbol might've been a prototype design for Dart/Dash, Stardust/Moondust or Dew, or maybe just an unused design for a cancelled pony. They might've just stamped on a random symbol to show a technically finished item for the boss people. It'd match up with the 2000 twins as a few have headgear and it's the year Dew was released.

Jewel/sparkle - A semi related theory, where they pitched the initial designs to boss people on a display (hence the painted eyes) and got feedback on it. It could've even been an eyeless blank with just a symbol and maybe a designer painted them for their kids.

How they ended up where they were - idk, maybe they were thrown in the trash and rescued, on someone's desk when they were fired or retired, maybe even stolen, found in some old boxes in someone's attic or old Hasbro storage unit.

Yay toy catalogues!! Are they going to be scanned and uploaded to your website? I want to see this weird Dainty Dove!

She could have been Sundance's baby, or part of a twin set. We might never know! It was pure coincidence that my green oddball actually turned up in a French Toy Catalogue! So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this one will turn up as well, I mean she's a finished-ish product like my Apple Meadow.
Jewel/ Sparkle is more of a prototype-ish pony. Let's say she's heavier than the usual baby :P

Aaaah, yes. Prototypes.
Here's Dainty Dove:

I'll be making more scans. It also has the prototypes of Moonshadow and Tipsy Tulip in them.
I might have to make a seperate toy catalogue page though, my prototype page is getting way too long!

@ZeldaTheSwordsman:

Sundance is great. I loved her in the PC game :)
Hopefully you'll get more G2 soon!

Offline freezestime

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 19, 2020, 09:55:12 AM »

*Regular Dainty Dove

She could have been Sundance's baby, or part of a twin set. We might never know! It was pure coincidence that my green oddball actually turned up in a French Toy Catalogue! So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this one will turn up as well, I mean she's a finished-ish product like my Apple Meadow.
Jewel/ Sparkle is more of a prototype-ish pony. Let's say she's heavier than the usual baby :P

Aaaah, yes. Prototypes.
Here's Dainty Dove:

I'll be making more scans. It also has the prototypes of Moonshadow and Tipsy Tulip in them.
I might have to make a seperate toy catalogue page though, my prototype page is getting way too long!

@ZeldaTheSwordsman:

Ackk the mystery is too much!!

Omg she Dainty Dove! That's so interesting! i think they might've just cut out the legs to show what the product would be, as there's parts that would block or severely impact the ability to move the legs. I do think this pose is much more elegant and fits much more with the whole playset though.

And Tipsy tulip and Moonshadow prototypes? That's so cool I look forward to seeing them! Are they any different to their final form?

Post Merge: July 19, 2020, 10:10:32 AM

To add, I'm producing some media!!

Making a pixel base for customs, maybe an adoptable thingy as well

And here's a vector render of every unique character in MLP G2! (in progress) Can you guess who the unmarked ones are?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 10:10:33 AM by freezestime »

Offline Skandalous

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 19, 2020, 10:41:43 AM »

*Regular Dainty Dove

Aaaah, yes. Prototypes.
Here's Dainty Dove:

@ZeldaTheSwordsman:

Omg she Dainty Dove! That's so interesting! i think they might've just cut out the legs to show what the product would be, as there's parts that would block or severely impact the ability to move the legs. I do think this pose is much more elegant and fits much more with the whole playset though.

And Tipsy tulip and Moonshadow prototypes? That's so cool I look forward to seeing them! Are they any different to their final form?

And here's a vector render of every unique character in MLP G2! (in progress) Can you guess who the unmarked ones are?

in order left to right:
dainty dove, moon shadow/ moonshine, sundance/sunsparkle, light heart, ivy/blue pearl, sweet berry/her majesty flower, sky skimmer,
clever clover/prince fauna, medecin/wing song/wing song II, petal blossom, morning glory/princess flora, sea breeze, mail order sea breeze.
:rainbow:Skandy's G2 Wishlist:rainbow:

Offline freezestime

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 20, 2020, 01:24:31 AM »

*Regular Dainty Dove

Aaaah, yes. Prototypes.
Here's Dainty Dove:

@ZeldaTheSwordsman:

in order left to right:
dainty dove, moon shadow/ moonshine, sundance/sunsparkle, light heart, ivy/blue pearl, sweet berry/her majesty flower, sky skimmer,
clever clover/prince fauna, medecin/wing song/wing song II, petal blossom, morning glory/princess flora, sea breeze, mail order sea breeze.

You got all of them right, except the last Seabreeze is the Spanish version! (you got it close enough though)

Offline Moonbreeze

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 nut
    • View Profile
    • My personal site
« Reply #265 on: July 21, 2020, 06:08:57 AM »
Tipsy Tulip and Moonshadow look a bit different, yes :)

And aaah good luck with the pixel render! I used to render pics from the PC game as well! I had them as adoptables waaaaay back. In 2009 or something.
Crazy days with MS Paint  :lol:

Although, I think it could use a little tweaking. More like this:

« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 02:52:46 AM by Moonbreeze »

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 28, 2020, 03:28:37 PM »
I'm curious to know how Hip Holly with her gooey plastic holds up after all those years...

Online ZeldaTheSwordsman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Death to Eclipse" protests DA's dumb new UI
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 28, 2020, 10:53:53 PM »

Found a pic of my G2 Sundance!
should be perma-moderated

Offline freezestime

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 03, 2020, 08:32:40 AM »
Tipsy Tulip and Moonshadow look a bit different, yes :)

And aaah good luck with the pixel render! I used to render pics from the PC game as well! I had them as adoptables waaaaay back. In 2009 or something.
Crazy days with MS Paint  :lol:

Although, I think it could use a little tweaking. More like this:

Wow! i hope we can find their prototypes one day! (If they were ever produced idk if that's a 3D render) Also does Moonshadow/Moonshine have no marking in that pic?

:0! Definite improvement and it's very nice! Here's my completed pixel render! I'll make a few variations like different eyes, hair styles, a unicorn one and some clothing (The first two are the easiest)

Feel free to edit it for your sig! I'll make an adoptables thread soon!

Found a pic of my G2 Sundance!

Yay! Seems like she's got some pen on her, did you get it off?

I'm curious to know how Hip Holly with her gooey plastic holds up after all those years...

To my knowledge (I don't have her loose) she can be a bit sticky but I think people found a method of sealing it.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 08:36:31 AM by freezestime »

Offline freezestime

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 18, 2020, 08:39:04 AM »
Henlo friends!!

Do we have any news? The netherlands can finally ship to Australia finally! A parcel I paid for has been sitting around since March!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal