collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Smoke smell and kitty litter?  (Read 1024 times)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Smoke smell and kitty litter?
« on: September 06, 2019, 09:32:35 PM »
I got a lot of ponies, but they smell smokey.  I've heard that kitty litter can help with that.

My questions:

Is there a particular brand of kitty litter that works best?

And also do you just dump the kitty litter directly on the pony?

Thanks guys!  :)  Other suggestions to get rid of smoke smell are also welcomed!
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke smell and kitty litter?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 10:02:08 PM »
Ooooo... I hate that smoke smell.  But congrats on the ponies!

I used odor fighting laundry detergent on a she-ra and she-ra horse.  I put the soap in a sandwich bag and then the horse, doll and open sandwich bag in a bigger gallon bag and carefully sealed it up.  I didn’t want the soap to get on the toys.  I left them like that for a month and it worked.

If I was using kitty litter, I would get something odor absorbent.  I only used soap because I already had some and I wasn’t in any hurry.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 10:03:46 PM by brightberry »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Loona

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 03:33:54 AM »
Ah dang! I'm sorry to hear about your situation, and I totally feel for you - I'm going through the same thing with a lot that the lovely (not) seller lady "only left in the husband's working room for a couple of hours before I came to collect it". Aha. :pout:

I have been using kitty litter to remove smoke smell with success for years (but I also remember I came to this forum for help  ^.^ ). I don't think the brand matters (I just bought the cheapest unscented* brand I found in the store) as long as the kitty litter is zeolite. Kitty litter is usually just ground zeolite, a mineral which is a great absorbent and adsorbent - meaning it sucks smells and moisture in and keeps them in. It is widely used as an industrial mineral for this feature, but it also has great household ways of use. Fun fact: fridge deodorant balls you can put into your fridge to prevent smell are also filled with ground zeolite. Years ago I took mine apart with the suspicion that it's the same thing as kitty litter, just in different package, and yup, totally the same thing. Kitty litter in a plastic ball and a dryer sheet. For the same price as a 5 litre bag of kitty litter. I haven't repurchased one ever since, I just fill the plastic ball up with kitty litter every couple of months (advantages of a degree in geology, lol  :P ).

While you'll likely wash and style them after removing the smell, I'd still recommend using some layer between the kitty litter and the pony - I just don't know how zeolite may react with coloured plastic, and it's better safe than sorry. I usually pour some kitty litter into a plastic bag, put a dryer sheet/kitchen paper towel on top, lay the pony on the sheet, knot the bag, and leave the package like that for a couple of weeks.

*some brands sell scented kitty litter. I honestly don't see the need for this, but I also never owned a cat and don't know if/how smelly kitty litter in actual use can get. I wouldn't recommend buying scented kitty litter for pony-use, as you don't know what they used for fragrance and how that may react with the plastic.

Good luck with removing the smell! ^^

My lovely awareness adoptable was created by HollowZero.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 08:29:11 AM »
Thanks guys, this is helpful info!  These aren't the worst ponies I've ever smelled, but since it's such a large lot they are kind of overpowering all together!

It was $125 for everything so I feel like I got a good deal even with the smoke.  :P

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 08:56:03 AM »
What a good deal! I'm agreeing that scented kitty litter may not help and might cause freaky plastic reactions.
I found vinegar helped, but only if you can stand the smell of it. I wrapped the ponies in paper towels soaked with vinegar and left them in the winter cold for a day, and now they have no smell months later. I did let them air out a bit afterwards, though. And it's not winter now...but vinegar may help.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2019, 11:22:30 AM »
I have some dolls that I am about to destuff and stick their heads in kitty litter for a month or two... so I hope the process works.  Baking soda so far, hasn't.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 01:12:20 PM »
Oh yeah, that's a great lot for $125!  Megan's Place?  Yes please!

Do you need more bits for the PE?  I think I have the pool section, or at least the blue pool (sans diving board) and the pink stairs. 

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 01:31:19 PM »
Thanks for the offer, I appreciate it!  :happy: But Paradise Estate is definitely going to be sold off, it is just too big for my place.  I actually didn't realize how large it was until I got these two rooms--just enormous! 

I've been airing the ponies out on my porch every day and taking them inside at night.  In addition, I've now wrapped two ponies in vinegar-soaked paper towels, wrapped two ponies in paper towels and buried them in kitty litter, and put two ponies directly into kitty litter.   So we'll see who turns out smelling the best!  :P

Offline LunaCat

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
    • Worlds Apart: My Little Pony Tale
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 02:36:45 PM »
I received 2 poinies once that smelled of smoke. I buried them in clean smelly cat litter for about a week. When I took them out they no long had the smoke smell.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2019, 02:45:33 PM »
I find baking soda to be more effective than kitty litter-  (plus I don't like the smell of kitty litter)

I just pour out the entire container of baking soda in a plastic tub, nestle the ponies in it- and forget about them for a while...

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2019, 03:35:04 PM »
How scientific! Do share your findings.  :P

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2019, 04:10:50 PM »
It's Arm & Hammer kitty litter so it also has baking soda in it.  :P

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2019, 02:12:24 AM »
First up, I should probably mention that I live in South Africa and sunshine and fresh air are in plentiful supply here.

Right, now that that is out of the way, this is what I do when stinky ponies arrive. Which, believe me, they have. I have had smokey ones, loft/basement smelling ones, mildewy ones. And on a couple of memorable occasions: cat pee covered ones. Yummy.

I don't do anything special with them except give them a really GOOD clean, inside and out. With what I would normally use on any pony - i.e. soap, water, shampoo & conditioner - let them dry out completely, and then let them sit on a shelf in an airy room for a while. And every time the smell has disappeared completely. Even from Munchy, who was saturated on the outside in cat pee and on the inside with moldy, slimy black icky stuff.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2019, 08:25:35 AM »
OH! I forgot to mention this-  if your toys were in the presence of a smoker long enough to have acquired a strong smell-   they may also have a layer of "scum" that looks kinda just like regular dirt- but it isn't- it's actually nicotine and tar.  (I lived with a smoker as a kid) - it is hard to wash off with just soap and water-

Add some pure 20% vinegar to a spray bottle with warm water- then spray each pony,  The acetic acid in the vinegar breaks down the tar- removing the brown sticky residue and also the smell!

For any residue smell that has soaked into the plastic hair and plastic of the body, have no fear- it will eventually dissipate, although baking soda really accelerates that process as it draws the odors out and into it really well.  I think that is why cat litter works- I'm not sure the clay actually does anything but what do I know?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal