collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Minor disappointment (kinda venty)  (Read 1717 times)

Online freezestime

• Forever and Always the Prom Queen
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Minor disappointment (kinda venty)
« on: September 09, 2019, 12:31:47 AM »
So long story short, my mother and father spent 4 months in Norway and despite their attempts, no ponies (except the one I ordered on Tradera, Play n care Baby Lickety Split)

Spoiler
Before they left for Norway, they'd said they'd keep an eye out for MLP, Barbie, vintage Polly Pocket, ect.

And knowing that there'd be some region exclusives, I was super duper excited.

And during a Facebook call between me and mum, she said she'd not have much luck. She said she talked to her friends, locals in the town, ect and was informed they'd keep them for future generations. So she was left with less avenues.

I'm like oh that's okay, but I don't think she like fully processed that she'd said.

Because the thought of one pony or Barbie was more than enough for me, but in hindsight, it probably referred to her Facebook messaging people for sales, just awaiting their responses.

She even messaged someone in Tromso (?) Because they were going through there, idk what for but they were.

She must've gone to some charity shops, because I brought them up as an avenue and mum said "There's not any here." Which I'm like "really?" "Yes" "Not even in Oslo? Because on Google there's a few" in which my mum realised I was talking outside their small town.

She then informed me that yes, there were but she hadn't gotten an opportunity to go into the city. I'm like oh okie and that was a month in, 3 months later, she comes home and no toy in sight. She tried really hard and I appreciate that and her, but I'm maybe disappointed (? Idk I'm not good with emotions)

I might just be venting or I might be spoiled, idk, anybody got any positive stories?
Freezestime's Masterlist! https://bit.ly/3x1te5n
Dedicated G2 thread! https://bit.ly/3vIIJhL
Dedicated G2 V2.0 thread! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,403447.msg1880080/topicseen.html#new
Forgotten Toy lines! [urlhttps://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=395090.150[/url]

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Minor disappointment (kinda venty)
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 08:41:26 AM »
The ponies are sure sparse. I've never looked anywhere but the US but I'd be disappointed too, even though I've certainly gone months without a find in the wild. Just makes me love the hunt more and feels more rewarding when I finally find something good.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 10:44:44 AM »
So long story short, my mother and father spent 4 months in Norway and despite their attempts, no ponies (except the one I ordered on Tradera, Play n care Baby Lickety Split)

Spoiler
Before they left for Norway, they'd said they'd keep an eye out for MLP, Barbie, vintage Polly Pocket, ect.

And during a Facebook call between me and mum, she said she'd not have much luck. She said she talked to her friends, locals in the town, ect and was informed they'd keep them for future generations. So she was left with less avenues.

I'm like oh that's okay, but I don't think she like fully processed that she'd said.

Because the thought of one pony or Barbie was more than enough for me, but in hindsight, it probably referred to her Facebook messaging people for sales, just awaiting their responses.

She even messaged someone in Tromso (?) Because they were going through there, idk what for but they were.

She must've gone to some charity shops, because I brought them up as an avenue and mum said "There's not any here." Which I'm like "really?" "Yes" "Not even in Oslo? Because on Google there's a few" in which my mum realised I was talking outside their small town.

She then informed me that yes, there were but she hadn't gotten an opportunity to go into the city. I'm like oh okie and that was a month in, 3 months later, she comes home and no toy in sight. She tried really hard and I appreciate that and her, but I'm maybe disappointed (? Idk I'm not good with emotions)

I might just be venting or I might be spoiled, idk, anybody got any positive stories?

So you wanted your parents to find you vintage ponies ?   I'm sure if that was the case, there are just as many G1 ponies lying around in Norway as there are around here-  which is to say, there aren't.   Do you really find G1 ponies "in the wild" ?   I haven't seen any for years.

It's too late now, but your best bet would have been to just bid on ponies on the Norway ebay and have them shipped to where your parents were staying.

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 11:34:02 AM »
Very small chance of finding ponies in the wild, you have to literally hit up charity shops and car boot sales every week and even then you might only find something like a beat up Applejack!

I think they did their best but ultimately they were there to enjoy their travels, not pony hunt, as exciting as that would be for us.

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2019, 04:00:18 PM »
Very small chance of finding ponies in the wild, you have to literally hit up charity shops and car boot sales every week and even then you might only find something like a beat up Applejack!

I think they did their best but ultimately they were there to enjoy their travels, not pony hunt, as exciting as that would be for us.

I agree... vintage G1 are not  easily found anymore.  And looking up secondhand markets and FB Marketplace on a vacation... well, if you aren't a toy collector, that sounds like a real downer. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2019, 04:08:34 PM »
Oh bummer. It’s been harder to find vintage ponies outside of antique malls and stuff here. Second hand places like charity shops barely have any ponies, old or new. Some fakies mostly. I feel like someone should arrange an arena expedition! Like a field trip, but for international pony hunting! And we all could go!  :P I know it probably won’t happen. Be cool if it did though!
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Online freezestime

• Forever and Always the Prom Queen
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 10:44:31 AM »
Oh bummer. It’s been harder to find vintage ponies outside of antique malls and stuff here. Second hand places like charity shops barely have any ponies, old or new. Some fakies mostly. I feel like someone should arrange an arena expedition! Like a field trip, but for international pony hunting! And we all could go!  :P I know it probably won’t happen. Be cool if it did though!

I'd love to do that, although it seems like some countries have severe difficulty finding any.

Post Merge: September 13, 2019, 10:54:18 AM

I agree... vintage G1 are not  easily found anymore.  And looking up secondhand markets and FB Marketplace on a vacation... well, if you aren't a toy collector, that sounds like a real downer.

Spoiler

So you wanted your parents to find you vintage ponies ?   I'm sure if that was the case, there are just as many G1 ponies lying around in Norway as there are around here-  which is to say, there aren't.   Do you really find G1 ponies "in the wild" ?   I haven't seen any for years.

It's too late now, but your best bet would have been to just bid on ponies on the Norway ebay and have them shipped to where your parents were staying.

Yeah, it seems like it in general.

Aww, that's a super bummer but very sweet of your parents to be on the lookout.

It is, I very much appreciate it and what they do for me (plus my 4 other siblings) but I do have some good news!

When my eldest sister goes on a long vacation with her family, she's going to Scotland for the first half (her husband's family is there) where she said she'll check out charity shops for MLP there!

She said there's a ton of charity shops in non city areas! And I'm excited, although not as much as last time.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 10:54:18 AM by freezestime »
Freezestime's Masterlist! https://bit.ly/3x1te5n
Dedicated G2 thread! https://bit.ly/3vIIJhL
Dedicated G2 V2.0 thread! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,403447.msg1880080/topicseen.html#new
Forgotten Toy lines! [urlhttps://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=395090.150[/url]

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2019, 10:33:37 PM »
I don't think you're spoiled to feel disappointed.  Because disappointment is different from feeling like someone "owes you" something.  I think everyone gets caught up in "what if" fantasies sometimes, and then gets disappointed.  "Oh boy, what if that odd colored MLP in that lot is a variant??" and then it turns out it's just discolored or the photo had bad lighting or something.

It was really sweet of your parents to try so hard.  Years ago (like the late 90s) my sister went on vacation in Europe and she didn't find any ponies either.  Although maybe she just didn't know where to look.  It was a real bummer because at the time every single UK pony cost $30 or more on eBay.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2019, 03:47:03 AM »
@LM - in the late 90s there were lots of ponies here, but mostly they came at carboot sales, and that often requires going out of town, so that might be part of it.

@Freezestime - It's really difficult in general as others have said now to find ponies in the wild, except maybe G4. I found a lot of G4 living on the outskirts of London, and sometimes G3. In the two years I lived in North London I found a Posey and a cut haired European Twisty Tail (in terms of G1). In the one year in south London I was a bit luckier and found a few more ponies - including a baby Applejack (which my sister has since swiped) and her very beaten up mother. But that's a random fluke and again, carbooting in a big proper field carboot sale, not a little city carpark one.

I'm not Norwegian but I imagine there's a similar lack of luck over there in most places. People sell more online now anyway, too. And the European market had fewer ponies in total anyway in terms of quantity, as it's a smaller market than the US one.

Back in the middle-late 1990s ponies here were really common. Then you could expect to find 3 or 4 ponies a week, let alone a year. But now it's not like that.

I imagine that the same will apply in Scotland. Charity shops *very rarely* have G1 ponies, and honestly, didn't have them that often when people were getting rid of them in the nineties, either. So no harm in hoping, but don't put too much hope in it.

She might find some G4 though.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal