collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: New Youtube Rules for Kids' Content  (Read 10822 times)

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: New Youtube Rules for Kids' Content
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2019, 10:26:49 AM »
Spoiler
I don't think I turned out ok so that's my piece on the technology and kids. Social media is just super unhealthy and I'm finally starting to combat the addictiveness by staying off of sites like Twitter which are all about likes and retweets and follows. Everything is mutuals mutuals mutuals and I don't like it. It just fed into my developing anxiety combo and has some residual stuff today. I've certainly done some stuff I regret but I do fear for the kids who are developing with social media at the ready who may not have the sense to do things under an anonymous name. A bit off topic but boy am I glad I never attached my irl name to my old internet expenditures, I can't imagine navigating the net now with everything able to be dug up at a moment's notice.
I can understand wanting to reign in the toy review community. So much of it is PR opening and I'm not sure who I can really trust (I do trust GreatBigToyBox but she seems to be the exception). There's a difference between CookieSwirlC and GreatBigToyBox, too. If this dominos into causing blind boxes to stop being so prevalent I'll consider it to be one good thing coming out of it.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2019, 10:33:45 AM »
Well I'm glad they are doing SOMETHING.  Probably they will need to make modifications as time goes by.

I'm less worried about data collection than I am worried about a kid watching what looks like Peppa Pig and having it switch into something horrible halfway in that gives the kid PTSD.  Why would people do such terrible things to small children? That I cannot understand.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2019, 01:26:27 PM »
tailrustedtealeaf - I absolutely agree that social media was a mistake x) Especially the awful trend of just putting EVERYTHING online, often under your real name! I swear, some of the stuff I've seen people plaster all over their Tumblrs, it's shocking/terrifying.

Moving back onto YouTube though (because otherwise I'll rant for ages :P), I wonder if it would be feasible for them to do something like...

Any time a video is uploaded, you have to select whether or not it's aimed towards kids, yes or no
if you click "no" - video goes up as normal
if you click "yes" - video is held and reviewed to see whether or not it's appropriate

I definitely agree that they need the "human touch" here instead of relying on machines.

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2019, 09:14:45 PM »
Well I'm glad they are doing SOMETHING.  Probably they will need to make modifications as time goes by.

I'm less worried about data collection than I am worried about a kid watching what looks like Peppa Pig and having it switch into something horrible halfway in that gives the kid PTSD.  Why would people do such terrible things to small children? That I cannot understand.

Because there are extremely sick people out there (as any “comments” section can attest to). :( My personal opinion is that Youtube needs to rely less on algorithms and more on actual, human moderators who have the power to delete videos and ban accounts that post offensive content. ALL social media and content sharing websites need more of that IMO.

tailrustedtealeaf - I absolutely agree that social media was a mistake x) Especially the awful trend of just putting EVERYTHING online, often under your real name! I swear, some of the stuff I've seen people plaster all over their Tumblrs, it's shocking/terrifying.

Agree 1000%. Social media is one of humankind’s most horrifying creations. :P
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2019, 05:00:59 AM »
Ok call me naive but I don't believe youtube will just move all doll customizers. They want to keep people who bring in ad revenue, they are a soul sucking mega corp, come on.
People need to let youtube know what's up instead of creating panic in their fanbase. While I feel bad for the toy channels I also chuckle at some of these people complaining that "we will have to get fulltjme jobs now" - oh rly? I thought youtube IS a fulltime job? :cool:
Anyways, I just believe this dish isn't gonna get served scalding hot. It needs to cool down, youtube needs to do something aboug the freaks making these cut videos and change their algorithm (I don't have a yt account and have no clue how much data they gain from me but I find it disturbing when I watch a Breyer review with cleared browser history and the recommended videos show an angry nerd complaining about Captain Marvel, some chick binge-eating and some sponsored video of some of these yt famous dolts) :lookround:

I can understand wanting to reign in the toy review community. So much of it is PR opening and I'm not sure who I can really trust (I do trust GreatBigToyBox but she seems to be the exception). There's a difference between CookieSwirlC and GreatBigToyBox, too. If this dominos into causing blind boxes to stop being so prevalent I'll consider it to be one good thing coming out of it.

Agreed and might I just add that I am greatful for namedropping GBTB? I started watching her slime review videos and it's a delight how honest she is and how she openly tells people not to buy certain things. It's intresting how she still gets sponsored sometimes. These companies must be sure of their product if they give it to someone who might say "this is a waste of money" :lol:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 05:02:40 AM by Zapper »

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2019, 06:29:05 AM »
Someone did a petition about this, I can’t find the link for said petition. Looks like I’ll have to link the video.

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2019, 11:36:15 AM »
So I was watching a crafting Youtuber talk about what her contact at Youtube had communicated to her.  (I think Youtube offers Youtubers a "liaison" if they hit certain follower goals . . . Could be wrong but that's my impression.)  And the person working at Youtube said that one of the thing "machine learning" would look for, that could get a video flagged, was . . . toys in the background. 

Like even if someone is discussing Shakespeare, if they have a collection of Pikachu plushes on their bedroom shelf, bam, demonetized.

I don't get why Youtube doesn't hire more real human beings, they are owned by Google so they could certainly afford it.

Also "game walkthroughs" will be demonetized, which is just . . . ???  I associate games with teens to 30-somethings more than kids.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 11:37:57 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2019, 01:39:13 PM »
I agree that any kid saying that they're "10" should be marked as a child and prevented from commenting in the future.  Or maybe just by their own viewing patterns, get marked as a child and prevented from commenting.

And kids under 13 can have google accounts as their schools might be using something like "google classroom."  As soon that kid also opens youtube, they should know that they are potentially dealing with a child.

I think the real problem is, kids are going to be watching no matter what the content is as long as it's entertaining.  It's not like there is an actual boundary between what kids like and what adults like.  As a kid, I watched a lot of MASH, violent Cowboy Movies and so on.  Because it was on.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 01:42:59 PM by brightberry »
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2019, 02:16:11 PM »
ugh, that's awful, LadyM! I mean what the heck, how's it going to recognize what is/isn't a toy? Are people going to get flagged as "kids content" for having... I dunno, sexy anime figures or something? @_@;

I think the real problem is, kids are going to be watching no matter what the content is as long as it's entertaining.  It's not like there is an actual boundary between what kids like and what adults like.  As a kid, I watched a lot of MASH, violent Cowboy Movies and so on.  Because it was on.

See, this is a great point, and it's one that goes both ways. Kids can like "adult" stuff and adults can like "kid" stuff. This whole thing is just a mess...

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2019, 06:03:40 AM »
I really don't like the comments disabled thing - as it stands I don't get much comments on my channel (but that's likely because I'm not really known as a YouTuber yet), but I want to be able to get them, because then I feel like I really am being watched by people, 'cause they can comment on something specific to the video in different ways, so I feel I'm interacting with my audience.

I haven't started them yet, but the main thing on my channel is going to be Animation Reviews - I don't know if these will be targeted, but they likely will, as a lot of animation is indeed for kids (reviews of animations not for kids will be Age Restricted by me.)  I also currently do Let's Plays (well, I've started one) and while they aren't the same thing as Walkthroughs really, I doubt the system will care about the difference.

I don't see why any of these have to be demonetized - it's not the kids themselves who are paying to watch the videos, and actual kid's channels on television have adverts on them.  Or by "personalized ads" do they just mean adverts that the YouTuber chooses to put on them?

I need to properly read through what else this will do, but I hope they come up with a better way to do it.

I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2019, 06:09:26 AM »
I don't see why any of these have to be demonetized - it's not the kids themselves who are paying to watch the videos, and actual kid's channels on television have adverts on them.  Or by "personalized ads" do they just mean adverts that the YouTuber chooses to put on them?
Well, it's not quite just flat demonitezation, the personalized ads pay much more than those that aren't.
Kids channels do not keep an individual profile of each kid watching their content, is the issue.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2019, 02:47:13 PM »
I think YouTube should check what they putting aimed at kids.

The YouTube Hextian did a doll custom video of a drag queen and YouTube has marked it as kid friendly and removed the comments.

This has made me crack up  :lmao:

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline lonewolf

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Lyra the dance master
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart account
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2019, 07:40:15 AM »
Another bad thing is not being able to add those videos to playlists. I like being able to watch pony videos/songs nonstop. My playlists are intact for now so I'm making favorites folders for all of the videos on my browser.
 I noticed on one of my 2 channels my few videos that involve FiM clips have already been decided on (they are in fact safe), but I hate the idea of people not being able to comment on them (though the comments are still up on them)/ add to playlist.

Really anymore I just want Youtube to die. It's outlived it's usefulness. It's slowly turning into one big pile of junk.

I'm the D to the E to the --- and no filly's got the moves like my big wall eyes. I'm De---licious.
Listen to this song while watching my sig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTi11bFNdMs :P

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2019, 08:25:23 AM »
Really anymore I just want Youtube to die. It's outlived it's usefulness. It's slowly turning into one big pile of junk.

It already became a big pile of junk when people who scream slurs into a mic while playing a video game became top earners, making big bucks by doing essentially nothing of value.
A recent thing I found out about are vids were women just eat large amounts of food for the pleasure of men and then purge it all when the cams are off to stay thin.
Why is this "entertainment" and why is stuff like this not demonetized? Youtube would need a lot more regulation and actual moderators. But the goal is to make more and more money so commercials can run on any channel that gains a few hundred followers.

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2019, 09:24:37 AM »
A recent thing I found out about are vids were women just eat large amounts of food for the pleasure of men and then purge it all when the cams are off to stay thin.

Umm... What...? Why...? Do I even want to know? >_<;

But honestly, what Youtube needs is a massive network of HUMAN moderators who watch and filter content. They always HAVE needed that, but now more than ever... Uggh.
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal