collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: New Youtube Rules for Kids' Content  (Read 10825 times)

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: New Youtube Rules for Kids' Content
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2019, 01:58:40 PM »
I sign in relief because my small person's attitude has increased as she has discovered there is just as much content in comments as the videos. Too bad that she doesn't use YTKids, she has favorite gamer channels that are adults streaming and discussing.
That reminds me of Ariel's quote: "If only I could make him understand. I just don't see things the way he does. I just don't see how a world that makes such wonderful things could be bad."
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2019, 02:09:22 PM »
I haven’t been feeling well for several days. I see now that I misunderstood the part  about “being considered a child.” I thought that meant that someone watching something labeled as “for kids” wouldn’t be able to watch stuff that’s clearly meant for adults.  :blush:

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2019, 02:43:29 PM »
Yeah, I read it like that, too. It's not just you, Ponyfan, it's worded sort of weirdly.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2019, 06:57:36 PM »
Here's another article about it:

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/09/04/google-youtube-fine-children-privacy-1588267

Which mentions one of the FTC commissioners wanting a stricter penalty and higher level of commitment from Youtube about protecting children's data, because she noted it would be easy for Youtube to say "Just self-identify if you have children's content!"  But if self-identifying as having children's content means a Youtuber has all their ad-revenue cut off--which is the only way Youtubers make money off the platform AFAIK--then surely a lot of Youtubers would just lie?

So far Youtube's strategy seems to be "Oh, just sequester 'kids stuff' like cartoons and toys".  But kids are watching sooo much more than that on Youtube.

Some Youtubers who have a lot of kid-viewers, off the top of my head:

- Stampylongnose (Minecraft channel)
- SimplyNailogical (nail art)
- Safiya Nygaard (fashion, make-up, and general blogs)
- Jenna Marbles (general blogging and has dogs)
- anything involving creepypastas (scary internet stories / urban legends)
- Buzzfeed

Kids long to grow up, so it's natural that they gravitate towards channels featuring adults, especially funny adults.  However, you can't just say "we'll assume everyone watching SimplyNailogical is a child" because adults also watch the channel.

Furthermore it seems very unfair to "toy unboxing" channels etc to assume "everyone watching is a child";  they are going to lose their source of income even from legit adult viewers.  Like GreatBigToybox has a lot of child viewers because they review current, popular toys.  But they also have a lot of parents viewing who want to make sure toys are of good quality before buying them for their kids.

Honestly this seems like a lazy no-effort move from Youtube.  I think they are counting on the FTC not understanding Youtube enough that the FTC won't realize they are still harvesting children's info. 

To me it seems pretty obvious that individual accounts need to be tagged as "child" or "not child" (not visible to the general public, but in the code.)  Youtube could base the tags partly from the self-identified age attached to the account, and also based on the account's behavior, and ALSO by searching for Youtube comments left like "I'm 10" which I see all the time on Youtube.  ("I'm only 10 but I still like 80s music" or whatever.)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 08:01:38 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2019, 08:14:22 AM »
To me it seems pretty obvious that individual accounts need to be tagged as "child" or "not child" (not visible to the general public, but in the code.)  Youtube could base the tags partly from the self-identified age attached to the account, and also based on the account's behavior, and ALSO by searching for Youtube comments left like "I'm 10" which I see all the time on Youtube.  ("I'm only 10 but I still like 80s music" or whatever.)

I was thinking this, too! The only argument against it I could think of is, I guess not everyone has a YT account? maybe some kids just watch it without an account.. or watch it on their parents' account or w/e... so I'm not sure how that would work. But otherwise, yeah, they should be doing it like this. I can just think of too many pitfalls and grey areas that the current proposal would encounter (worded that awkwardly, sorry).

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2019, 11:21:04 PM »
Well I’m worried about doll customisers who customise dolls that are aimed at adults and not children.

I was thinking of doing a video on my Attack on Titan, Naruto, Fruits Basket, and the others. These shows are not aimed at children.

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2019, 12:21:58 PM »
I just saw a very sad update on a well-known doll customizer's channel:

Well, it looks like YouTube is simply killing my channel and the complete doll customizers community in total by their new YouTube Kids policies. Starting from January, 2020 all the channels that use toys to make their content will be moved from YouTube to their new YouTube Kids platform where will be no comments, no likes, no notifications and no personalized ads 🤐

It means we all will have to work for free (not completely for free, but there will be a drastic monetization drop and we will have to find a full time job to be able to pay our bills and it means there will be no time for dolls and video's) and there will be also no way for us to communicate with our audience, no feedback, no doll requests in the comments, no discussions, no support and we will not be able to know even if people liked the repaint, nothing. Just me sitting making dolls in a complete silence and getting a complete silence back. I don't even know how to react and what to think.

I understand they want to protect kids from disturbing content but the fact is that Jake Paul and Co will keep going, but for us the only way to stay on a normal YouTube is to start repainting garden furniture or to draw fruits and vegetables in their glory because remaking a toy will be punished with demonetization and removing comments and likes. And the most annoying part is that I have mostly a very adult audience (90% of my people are 18+), and kids are watching my repaints with their parents because let's be honest, my video's are not that entertaining for little kids (for YouTube kids are people younger than 13 yo), my video's and dolls are rather art for art lovers than kids content. But since me, Hextian, Dollightful, Moonlight Jewel, Anastazia Custom and many many other adult artist have chosen doing our art on 'kids toys' we will be punished, demonetized and locked down on a kids-only platform 👍👌

One of the sweetest and kids friendly channels on the entire YouTube - Myfroggystuff - have already changed their names and they are also changing their content completely to become not kids oriented anymore to be able to stay on a regular 'big' YouTube. I don't know, dear YouTube, I have a strong feeling that you are punishing wrong people and moving a completely wrong direction. We will know more later of course, there's no real information regarding doll customizers but their general message is quite clear - everything children and toys related will be put to the muted and almost demonetized YouTube Kids reservation

The irony is that 1) Youtube is actively discouraging channels from making child-friendly content with this new policy and 2) kids are going to stick around "real Youtube" because one of the main appeals of Youtube is reading comments, leaving comments, and hoping that a channel-creator you admire will reply to your comment.  And 3) they are demonetizing a lot of people who don't even have much of a child demographic.

Why don't they stop harvesting everyone's information and instead run ads like TV stations do?  TV stations might have a general idea of demographics who watch a show, but they don't track ten people's personal habits and beam out 10 different personalized commercials;  instead they just send out one commercial, which they hope will appeal to the general demographic.

Like, a Youtube video on gardening could have an ad for fertilizer.  On a Youtube video on woodworking you would get an advertisement for Home Depot or Lowe's.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 10:24:04 PM by LadyMoondancer »

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2019, 04:42:39 PM »
I just hate how the whole Internet seems to be getting more patronizing and obsessed with protecting children at all cost :(
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2019, 05:06:27 PM »
I just hate how the whole Internet seems to be getting more patronizing and obsessed with protecting children at all cost :(

Unfortunately, it’s a “This is why we can’t have nice things.” situation.

There are people who put truly horrific, ugly, hateful content out there... Stuff that, quite frankly, NO ONE should make/see, IMHO. Kids end up seeing it. Aaand then the plug gets pulled on the entire platform.

I wish YT would simply implement a child-block option of some kind, or else work harder to monitor what’s posted. Phones/devices/computers in general need better child safety options. No kid should be given free rein to browse the internet unchecked...
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2019, 08:43:53 PM »
Children like many of the same things adults like.  I don’t know how we can  protect them from getting into things they shouldn’t without using stronger parental controls.  Maybe content like comments shouldn’t be available without being signed in as a verified adult.  But limiting content kids might “watch” puts limits on everything.  Like paleontology?  Science experiments?  Space launches?  Fashion? Nail art?

YouTube’s new rules don’t sound very well thought out.  Maybe there should be an option box for kid safe content that goes through a more rigorous review for kids signed in as kids. 

It seems like the biggest limitation that all social media sites have is being able to review everything before going live.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 07:14:54 AM by brightberry »
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2019, 11:24:29 PM »
Doll customisers could always go to Daily Motion and put their videos on there.

It sickens me on what YouTube is doing to those people.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 06:25:08 AM by bright rabbit 1 »

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2019, 05:41:00 AM »
Many years ago I was watching a YT video of the opening to Rescue at Midnight Castle. It was labeled only as My Little pony and right after Firefly and Medley fell in to the waterfall something really inappropriate popped up in the video. I was completely caught off guard by it. There should be way to stop people that are deliberately doing stuff like that vs punishing those that use toys in their videos to customize dolls in to different characters do unboxing reviews etc..

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2019, 08:23:39 AM »
Maybe content like comments shouldn’t be available without being signed in as a verified adult.

I was thinking this, too.

Honestly this all just seems like it's going to do more harm than good.

Same here! I've noticed it a lot lately, not just with YouTube but *everywhere*. Makes me sad.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2019, 09:39:58 AM »
The current case is less about inappropriate content and more about inappropriate advertising and "influencers".  (Ugh, I hate that term and the whole idea behind it.)

Issues like:

1. People whose "reviews" are actually advertisements.  One of the examples was a toy reviewer who didn't disclose that toy companies were PAYING HIM to review their products.  Meaning it actually was less of a "review" and more of "WOW!  Buy this toy!  Someone paid me to say this, but you don't know that!"

2. Videos that did mention they were being paid to promote something, but they weren't saying it in a way that the target audience would be able to understand.  For example:  someone's target audience is preschoolers, and they put tiny text at the bottom of their video saying "This is a paid advertisment."  A preschooler can't read fine print, and may not be able to read at all.

3. Youtube illegally harvesting the information of minors and using it for targeted advertisements.

The thing is, Youtube's actions are not addressing a single one of these problems.  They just want to look like they're doing something.  IMO they should rely less on automatized processes--you know, like the ones that flag Youtube videos if a creator sings a single lyric of a song owned by a litigious company--and more on humans reviewing content.   A human being can understand nuances and decide "This video is okay, that video is not" much better than a machine.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 09:44:33 AM by LadyMoondancer »

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2019, 09:43:29 AM »
I get the need for wanting to protect kids.  I would pull the 'but we all turned out fine' argument but when we were kids technology was not nearly like how it is today.   Now if we were talking about a parent going nuts because say, the little mermaid is too dark for kids..that would be valid to go after.  I just feel kids are TOO guarded now a days.  They are curious and theres no way one can permanently shield them. They will get stuff from music or from recess at school.

I don't know.  I just think that while its a good step to try to get the nasty stuff away from kids..this isn't the way to go about doing it..because they will get around it.

I think I agree with a parent block...a responsible parent will put a block on before their kids access things.  Its not perfect but its a start.

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal