collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: New Youtube Rules for Kids' Content  (Read 10829 times)

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
New Youtube Rules for Kids' Content
« on: September 04, 2019, 11:15:27 AM »
This article describes the whole situation rather well.
Will all toy unboxings be considered kids content? What if I curse a lot in it? What if it's geared towards the older collector? What will become of all of the Littlest Pet Shop videos on Youtube that feature themes such as abuse, lust, and copious amounts of fake blood? (:P but seriously, what will the stance be on that)
    Anyone watching children's content on YouTube will be considered a child, meaning they will reduce data collection down to the minimum necessary to "support the operation of the service" for those viewers at that time.
    Personalized ads will stop running on children's content.
    Comments and notifications will be disabled on children's content.
    Content creators will be required to identify children's content, and videos will also be categorized that way via machine learning.
    Mandatory annual training for the company's "teams" regarding children's protections.
I know we have a few unboxers on here, as well as those who make videos with the figures. Just curious what everyone's take on it is. I understand where they're coming from but I wonder how the algorithm for these videos will deal with no more comments.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Re: New Youtube Rules for Kids' Content
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 11:22:37 AM »
Hmm, I'm certainly glad that kids will (hopefully) not be seeing anything inappropriate, but I'm worried how this'll affect us folks, too. Like, this bit has me mildly concerned:

Anyone watching children's content on YouTube will be considered a child, meaning they will reduce data collection down to the minimum necessary to "support the operation of the service" for those viewers at that time.

What's going to be considered "children's content"? If I feel like watching, I dunno, the MLP:FiM opening then does that count as "children's content"? I'm hoping they're talking about videos specifically marked as "children's content" or something (idk how this all works) instead of YT just arbitrarily deciding what is and isn't directed towards kids, otherwise a lot of stuff could get screwed over by this :/ I mean there's just a lot of stuff in a grey area, right? Like... a clip from, I dunno, an 80s kids show isn't going to be inappropriate for kids, but at the same time, the uploader hasn't necessarily uploaded it for them, you know? Hmmm. I hope we get some more clarification on it all.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 12:19:14 PM »
Hmm, I'm certainly glad that kids will (hopefully) not be seeing anything inappropriate, but I'm worried how this'll affect us folks, too. Like, this bit has me mildly concerned:

What's going to be considered "children's content"? If I feel like watching, I dunno, the MLP:FiM opening then does that count as "children's content"? I'm hoping they're talking about videos specifically marked as "children's content" or something (idk how this all works) instead of YT just arbitrarily deciding what is and isn't directed towards kids, otherwise a lot of stuff could get screwed over by this :/ I mean there's just a lot of stuff in a grey area, right? Like... a clip from, I dunno, an 80s kids show isn't going to be inappropriate for kids, but at the same time, the uploader hasn't necessarily uploaded it for them, you know? Hmmm. I hope we get some more clarification on it all.

That's the part I find worrying too.  What if I want to watch something that YT thinks is for kids and  want to watch something else later that is not for kids?

Also how will unboxing videos that are clearly meant for collectors be classified?

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 12:22:11 PM by Ponyfan »

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 01:40:48 PM »
Being considered a child means your data won't get harvested (too much). I see nothing wrong here.

What I find problematic is how are they going to make sure tagged "kids content" is really for kids? There are lots of evil people out there who are already cutting inappropriate scenes in the middle of kids stuff as mentioned in the article. Now in a perfect world all the material gets reviewed at first but... haha... that would require human work and youtube only relies on its (often questionable) algorithms.

What I find interesting is how commenting on these kid vids is restricted. Good move, tbh. I don't like the tone of the article. Snide remarks about "modern parenting" are so typical whenever adults complain about these things.
No parent can watch their kids 24/7 and kids can gain access to youtube rather easily these days. If you keep them away from tablets, phones and computers they will just use their friends devices.
Also, how are parents responsible for a sick freak putting crap into a Frozen video? You just don't expect Disney videos to suddenly show your child something horrible. You can't sit with your kid for everything, there is chores and work to be done.
Parent sees Elsa video... ok, watch it, kiddo. Parent does something else in the house, suddenly kid screams because a sicko put something in there. If the internet is so dangerous then make the internet more safe. Simple. It's not like kids should be shut out of using technology until they can handle seeing decapitated heads. Nobody should see that sort of crap.

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 02:07:27 PM »
I'm hoping it mean that anything labeled "children's content" will be more thoroughly reviewed even if it means it will take longer to appear on the site.  And I'm assuming that things not labeled as such won't get that treatment? 

Honestly, I can see why it's a good idea for parents to keep toddlers/ early elementary kids off the internet.  But once they learn how to type and do searches, it's going to be an intense challenge especially as schools encourage it with online assignments and such.   I got lots of push-back from my niece about how treacherous the internet can be.  One teacher encouraged kids to "google" almost everything.  Then there was peer pressure from other kids to go to such-and-such site to play games (full of viruses), watch certain videos.  Ugh.  It was a constant monitoring thing.  So no, I don't blame parents when something off happens.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 02:20:27 PM by brightberry »
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline okamigirl64

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • "I used to wonder what friendship could be."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 03:52:49 PM »
As a pony toy youtuber my biggest issue is disabling comments. That effectively kills the whole point of the platform! YouTube Kids doesn’t have a commenting system so children can watch videos there without that worry, so why turn them off for adults you do wanna leave a comment?.That’s what upsets me the most.  >_<

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 09:27:28 PM »
    I think this might be a good way to get around the not so kid friendly content popping up on children’s YouTube, but I think it needs some tweaks. Like if you are an adult, and comments are disabled due to “children’s content”, there should be a way to bypass this. Perhaps something like a skill testing question (something that children under a certain age wouldn’t know, but somebody older would probably know how to solve) or a PIN number that you can use.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2019, 02:02:13 AM »
To be honest I think this is a step in the right direction. It sucks, but the Internet can be a hostile place for young’ins and these days there’s plenty of adults who like things geared toward them that either don’t know how or flat out refuse to keep their contributions that aren’t so family friendly away from the core demograph.

Of course, filters and restrictions should be used on both ends to the fullest extent to take as much precaution as possible. However I think making spaces designed specifically  for our younger online denizens is a fantastic idea. The problem I have is, who or what is in charge of deeming content as “kid stuff,” and on what grounds? Will a MLP video automatically be considered for kids, regardless of the targeted audience according to the uploader/creator of the videos? I’m sure lots of tykes would enjoy watching G1 pony content, but at the end of the day those videos are more for us grown-ups than the kids who only know Twilight and friends.

Hopefully, there will be a method for the uploader to determine who their content is for. This is wishful thinking because what will more than likely happen is they will implement some sort of AI to search for signs, such as keywords, to automatically flag content as one or the other.

What I find interesting is how commenting on these kid vids is restricted. Good move, tbh. I don't like the tone of the article. Snide remarks about "modern parenting" are so typical whenever adults complain about these things.
No parent can watch their kids 24/7 and kids can gain access to youtube rather easily these days. If you keep them away from tablets, phones and computers they will just use their friends devices.
Also, how are parents responsible for a sick freak putting crap into a Frozen video? You just don't expect Disney videos to suddenly show your child something horrible. You can't sit with your kid for everything, there is chores and work to be done.
Parent sees Elsa video... ok, watch it, kiddo. Parent does something else in the house, suddenly kid screams because a sicko put something in there. If the internet is so dangerous then make the internet more safe. Simple. It's not like kids should be shut out of using technology until they can handle seeing decapitated heads. Nobody should see that sort of crap.

Another important aspect we should consider. Again, it’s unfortunate, but the Internet has all types lurking. Which means that there are individuals who will inject proverbial poison into videos that should be safe for all ages. Again, nobody in the world can (or should) be breathing down their kids’ necks constantly. Even the most dedicated helicopter parent has moments where their eyes are not set on little Susie or Johnny. And kids are known to be curious little creatures.

In addition, the bulk of parents are still mostly oblivious to all this technological nonsense. It would be unfair for us to expect them to know the ins and outs of the darkest reaches of cyberspace. Think about it. If mom can barely use Google and check her email, how is she to look at a video whose thumbnail features Disney characters and realise there could be trouble? There’s a lot of different factors to consider I think when we’re thinking about young people and the Internet.
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2019, 03:17:25 AM »
As a pony toy youtuber my biggest issue is disabling comments. That effectively kills the whole point of the platform! YouTube Kids doesn’t have a commenting system so children can watch videos there without that worry, so why turn them off for adults you do wanna leave a comment?.That’s what upsets me the most.  >_<

I thought it would only disable comments if you put it on YT Kids or tagged it Kid's Content? So I guess the sollution is just don't label it for kids. Label it All Audiences? But I could be wrong. This is only one article and half a opinion piece at that.

Offline okamigirl64

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • "I used to wonder what friendship could be."
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2019, 05:28:01 AM »

I thought it would only disable comments if you put it on YT Kids or tagged it Kid's Content? So I guess the sollution is just don't label it for kids. Label it All Audiences? But I could be wrong. This is only one article and half a opinion piece at that.

If it’s targeted at kids or had kids toys in iit will be flagged as such. So I review mlp toys. It’s meant for everyone but youtube will pick it up as for just for kids.

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2019, 06:05:24 AM »

If it’s targeted at kids or had kids toys in iit will be flagged as such. So I review mlp toys. It’s meant for everyone but youtube will pick it up as for just for kids.

Is this info from youtube or this article? Because if I were you I'd just contact youtube and ask. I honestly don't believe they wouldn't let you unflag it or whatever. They also can't permanently label something "for kids" just because it has toys in it. After all I could be making a gory MLP videos with fake blood and death and skmething like that could never be suitable for kids just because it has MLP in it. Get my drift? You need the option to oppose their selection/flagging alhorithm. Everything else would be illogical because then they'd get just as many problems as they have now.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2019, 07:03:39 AM »
I sign in relief because my small person's attitude has increased as she has discovered there is just as much content in comments as the videos. Too bad that she doesn't use YTKids, she has favorite gamer channels that are adults streaming and discussing.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2019, 07:49:14 AM »
Yeah, it was the note about comments being disabled that had me worried. Like Sapphire Rain said, there's a lot of stuff that's not inappropriate or not not intended for kids, but the uploader's really put it on more for adults to be able to chat about it and stuff, you know? I hope we can get some clarification on whether this is an opt-in thing or not. :s I'm really glad they're taking steps to try and lessen kids seeing nasty stuff, I just hope they go about it in a thoughtful way instead of an "all or nothing" sort of approach. (<- awkwardly worded but idk how else to put it x_x)

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2019, 08:10:57 AM »
Here's the official Youtube blog, thingy. I think some people received an email that said that comments would be limited, but I can't find anything that isn't another article.

Sig by Starscout <3

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2019, 10:23:09 AM »
Hm, now I'm even more confused :s Like, this bit:

In order to identify content made for kids, creators will be required to tell us when their content falls in this category,

...makes it sound like it WILL be an opt-in/out sort of thing (so we can decide whether or not it gets affected by these changes).. but then the following sentence:

and we’ll also use machine learning to find videos that clearly target young audiences, for example those that have an emphasis on kids characters, themes, toys, or games.

...makes it sound like they'll be deciding for us anyway? :s It'd be nice if they could clarify that one, at least.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 10:24:48 AM by Carrehz »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal